• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 72 Coronet Project Empty Wallet

Coronet 14

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
Well I'm going to try to get a thread going of my 1972 Dodge Coronet. I've posted alot of different places on here. So I'm going to try to post everything in one place. Here are somp pictures of the rust and damage under the vinyl top. Between the tape is a 4 inch wide strip on bondo on both sides and a really bad repair on drivers side. 001.JPG002.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG010.JPG012.JPG002.jpg006.jpg

Yea, the vinyl top looks good on these cars until you look underneath after all these years and then you wonder WHY did they ever put one on. Your probably better off just to take the trim off and rip the rest of the vinyl top off to see what it really looks like underneath. Good luck on your car.

It's almost all off now. What's left is under the windshield and drip rail trim. The rear window and windshield are going to have to come out to repair correctly.

"Wow" that dash looks terrific. Any pics of the whole car????????? I found similar damage when I pulled my vinyl top "I hate vinyl tops with a passion" what I find unbelievable is the staples in the window openings.

When I pulled the instrument cluster out I found the clock wire disconnected. There was a piece of tape around the wire that said clock. No wonder it didn't work. I'm sending the dashpad to just dashes to get redone. While im waiting got to fix the heater controls. Heater box and replace steering box. Few pics of car 007.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

Was the dash pad the only thing wrong in the interior other than the clock.

"Nice" looks really solid.

Bum-a-roo about the rust issues, but that's what those damnable vinyl do...I hate em too.
The Coronet is bitchin', I've been looking for a reasonably priced quatroport for about a year...can't find one that's not overpriced, or a total heap. Yours looks nice and solid and is the best-looking body style IMO. (I've had a couple of later Monacos and Coronets...75-77).

A lot of dudes don't dig 4 drs and aren't at all shy about telling you ALL about it...whether you asked for or give a crap about thier opinion or not (generally speaking: NOT). F 'em in thier ear, build what you want. What kind of plans are in the future?

Well I'm going to try to get a thread going of my 1972 Dodge Coronet.

Hey Coronet 14 . . . Love your title - EMPTY WALLET - I'm pretty sure we ALL can relate ! ! ! ( SMILE )

Good luck on your project ! ! !

The heater box is filled with dirt, Leaves and bits of pine cones from one side to the other. Can only see part of the heater core from the hole where the resister goes. Someone rigged up a switch below the dash for for a high low heat switch. Appearently because the high low switch didn't work on the heater control. Hear is what I found in the control panel. Anyone know where I can get one.015.JPG021.JPG023.JPG

That's why I hate vinyl tops. Atleast you go to it before it got too bad under there. Im switching mine over to a Rallye cluster this spring and I think im just going to try and pull out the whole dash as a unit. Im going to be re-doing my interior anyway so I should have plenty of room. I bet that was a job getting that heater control loose from the cluster. I got mine out of the doner car like that and it was a pain in the you know what! It's cool seeing another 72 Coronet getting done. Keep up the good work :headbang:

I have to get the A/C heater cable. When I install the cable on the control assembly ill feed it through the firewall but not hook it up until I get the dash put together. That way there will be enough slack to hook it up to instrument cluster. I'm sending the A/C panel out this week to get refurbished.

Got the heater box out and disassembled today One of the mounting studs broke off and one of the bolts for the EVAP core was pulled through the case and one bolt for the EVAP looked like it had melted plastic on it from the factory.
012.jpg b021.jpg022.JPG030.JPG039.JPG035.JPG037.jpg040.JPG

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 999
There was so much crap above the fresh air opening that we had to move the plastic cowling grate and get the shop vac fired up Also painted areas that will be hard to get to when the heater motor nuts and hoses are installed My son asked me what a cowl vent was. He knows now

021.JPG020.JPG019.jpg014.JPG

Lots of good stuff going on there. Who's your supplier of heater box parts? Foam, gaskets, all that stuff? My heater/defroster in my '76 hasn't worked properly in years but I've been to chicken$#!t to take the box out for fear of breaking something irreplaceable.

Detroit Muscle has the rebuild foam and seals. It's a time consuming job to clean everything and put it back together. I had to repair some areas on the box. Also in you have ac get your cores pressure tested before you put stuff together. Get a vacuum pump to check the operation of the doors after you put it together but before putting it back in the car. My kit was the big box kit for ac car. My kit didn't come with the evap drain hose that is at the bottom of the firewall and I had to make a small foam strip. Other than that it was complete. I used Aircraft decal stripper from Oriellys to remove the old stuff from the doors. Don't get it on your paint it will soften it. If I can do it so can you.

- - - Updated - - -

004.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG012.jpg013.JPG016.JPG017.JPG018.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back