• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need an idea!

gtxwannabe

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I am restomoding a 1970 Plymouth Satellite. I have the dash torn down to parade rest. I removed the glove box and the steel back plate to find that at least 50 percent of the studs are broken and more threatening. Any ideas on what I can do to modify, replace or repair these things? I was thinking of using epoxy to fasten a wood or fiberglass block to the plastic. Any ideas?

C:\Windows.old\Users\Eric\Pictures\2010-10-03 Oct. 29 2009

Last edited:
When using epoxy it works well if you are attaching similar materials. It doesn't last too long when attaching metal to wood, or metal to plastic because of the materials expand & contract at different temperatures. If you live in a cold climate it happens even more. I found this out working in an aerospace repair shop.

It should work well for attaching fiberglass or wood to plastic. Fiberglass is an FRP fiber reinforced plastic. t Other than temperatures the only other thing I would take into consideration is how much vibration the part might be subject too.

Also when re tightening the studs they may crack, the repaired area, if tightened too hard.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out or if you decide to repair it differently.

Forgot to mention that the 2 part epoxies, that require mixing, work better than single adhesives.

Hi,
I am restomoding a 1970 Plymouth Satellite. I have the dash torn down to parade rest. I removed the glove box and the steel back plate to find that at least 50 percent of the studs are broken and more threatening. Any ideas on what I can do to modify, replace or repair these things? I was thinking of using epoxy to fasten a wood or fiberglass block to the plastic. Any ideas?

C:\Windows.old\Users\Eric\Pictures\2010-10-03 Oct. 29 2009

Welcome to the site!! Have you ever heard of JB Weld? Ive found this to be affective in similar problems and thought I would mention it. of course i could name off a thread of things duct tape is good for. Ive never ever once been told my IQ was very high so take this as a suggestion please and nothing more... Ron
cid_CFFB524F3DCC46ED8FAB8ED716294096home06bb4f6883.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back