• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Cam Selection Help

MoparMike71

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
I'm building up my 5.7 Hemi from the junkyard and I'm at the point where I need to nail down my camshaft selection. I've read through the Richard Holdener book for his comparable tests in addition to watching some of his videos for other cams that were not in the book so I've tried to do as much homework as possible.

At this time, the 5.7 block will NOT be bored over, but simply honed and cleaned up for the rebuild. I'm tossing on 6.1 heads along with the 6.1 intake. I have the 6.1 timing gear set as well as the forged 6.1 crank. Internals are still TBD, but likely going forged so I comfortably have the option of power adders in the future.

This is going into my daily driver 71 Charger so I'm not looking to build a drag car, just a good cruiser that can also respond well when I decide to goose it on an open stretch.

I'll be mating the G3 Hemi with a 23-spline A-883 so I know that it can only take some much HP reasonably without risking damage/destruction. Thinking the overall build will be in the 475-550 HP range in its current form. Intent is to upgrade to a Tremac if/when I decide to go the power adder route in the future.

I'm currently between the stock 6.1 cam since it performs well and I already have one OR these two Comp Cam setups and could use your input based the build information and my intent with the car as a daily cruiser.

Thanks in advance!

1) Stock 6.1 cam
2) Stage 2 Cam - https://www.compcams.com/zex-purple-racing-shirt-mk112-303-11.html
3) 273 Cam - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-112-502-11/make/dodge

IMG_7679.JPG

I don't know 3G Hemis very well, but I would like to see more of the build and swap.

Be very care choosing the right lifter combo since these blocks are notoriuously bad for low speed oiling.

My intention is to get everything from the same supplier, like that Stage 2 kit from Comp Cam so it all plays nicely together rather than trying it piece things together

I also have built a "junkyard" 5.7 short block.
I am going budget, because I have no money, if you have the 6.1 cam maybe go with that, as a few guys have recommended that one to me, due to price and how well it works.
Those comp cams are great choices also, for street car I think the one you have as stage 2 would be my choice, only because of the rpm a street car will live at.( if money comes my way that is the one I will be getting)
You really cant go wrong, good luck!!!!

I got a 392 cam for $40 from someone upgrading. New 392 cams were dirt cheap from the dealer for a long time and then they went up in price. My plan is to buy a 12+ or maybe 16+ pull out so that its got the later revision lifters and such already in it, and put the 392 cam in it. Still fabbing with the junk 05 core I have tho.

Auto Transport Service
Back