• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some regional info, Mo. Ok. Ar homestead

bigowhiteboy

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
After much research and deliberation we have decided to liquidate and move from Montana to the southwest Mo. area.
Mostly motivated by rising property prices and the short growing season in Montana we are looking to find a chunk of land in a more hospitable region. My research has led me to look in the northwest Arkansas, southwest Missouri, and southeast Oklahoma areas.
Looks like land is still affordable and a good region to set up a small farmstead, 40-100 acres. Just wondering if I could get some insight from some of those who may live or have lived in those areas. What the demographics, crime, seasons, cost of living, etc. are like. I've done lots of research online, but would like to get some info from those with actual experiences in those areas. Thanks.

Great place to live. Winters aren't to bad. I doubt you would find land that would grow anything but pasture grass and hay. Lots of rocks and red dirt. A lot of folks from here have cabins at some of the lakes. I have a friend who has bought a house East of Branson about 20 miles. Arkansas is pretty rugged, but N.E. Oklahoma has some nice rolling hills country. You might want to check out that area...............................MO

I've always wanted to move to Montana ,North Dakota or South Dakota or even Wyoming ,away from people .

Oklahoma.
Heavy Crime is usually in the larger populated cities, (mainly OKC, Tulsa, Muskogee, Lawton)

it still happens in the rural areas as well. mainly small crime or someone helping themselves to your trailer that is not locked up.

Season vary here.
Some winter are worst then other, as are the summers.
Further west you go in the state, the windier it gets, and less trees. Red dirt (clay) is around the middle part of the state, The further you get to Arkansas, the better the soil is and you have trees in that area of the state (Known as Green country)

Southeast is beautiful. land is higher then it use to be, but can still be found.

Your money will go further here then a lot of other places. but the wages that are paid usually aren't what your use to as well.

what type of crops are you planning to grow? Cattle? Keep in mind we tend to have droughts here. it has been a relief this last year, but still are running in water shortages.

I have lived all over the state, and is currently living in a smaller town just south of Tulsa.

My Grandfather grew wheat in the Southwest part, My father has a Pecan grove and pecan harvesting business in the Eastern part of the state. The further away from the city, the better the price you will find on land and a house.

Thanks for the insights.
Ideally we would like to get set up as self sufficient, large garden, milk cow, chickens, etc. Would be nice to have a spring or other water source. Looks like lots of water in Ark. and some parts of Okl. and Miss., would minimize drought effects somewhat.
Would like to be about 45 minutes from a city. I build custom furniture and sell it online, so I do alot of shipping and would like to be close enough to do so at least weekly. Most likely Tulsa, or Springfield Mo., possibly Van Buren.
I hate to leave Montana, but the climate is rough for being self sufficient, and property prices are not reasonable, at least in my opinion. An acre of land runs about $25,000 which the Canadians and Californians seem to be happy to pay, land sells almost as soon as it hits the market. I feel it makes financial sense for us to relocate to an area where our dollar has more bite.

bowb, north central Missouri is great country, decent roads and generally not the type of storm patterns as where you are talking about. plenty wildlife and water and weather is not to damn cold. also pretty bad ice storms down in that area. great schools and local governments, taxes not to bad. good luck.

Lived in Mo. central and southern Il. Best thing going is Kentucky. Great places with 6 and 12 acres FOR $25000! Great people and a state run by halfway intelligent people. Lots of people scurrying across the state line to get out of the state of Chicago. It's similar here in Southern Il, but it is still Il. Kentucky is definitely worth a 2 day stay to try it out. Lots of Mopars too. I'd move there myself but as soon as we can pry my wife's retirement out of our crooked Govenor's hands, we are headed farther south to be by our only kid.

I live just north of tulsa cost of living isnt to bad depending on what you make a year. My ad vice is do not buy in tulsa county. Property taxes arent that high but will be cheaper outside of tulsa county.Its a great place to live there is a lot to do in the area. We have what used to be the dragstrip for spring nationals and 3 more within a 2 hr drive. Also a lot of history here. Whatever choice you make good luck

I think we have it narrowed down to somewhere around Springfield Mo.
Anyone have any experience in that area? What's the crime like? Obviously anywhere is going to have a higher crime rate than rural Montana, but I have also lived in So Cal and Southeast Georgia, so I've seen a pretty broad spectrum of society. Just wondering what the Springfield area is like, nothing like KC or St Louis I suspect.

Auto Transport Service
Back