• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never sneak up on an older guy with the pretense that you might scare him.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Because you will either give him a heart attack or he.........will blow your head off!! Dang idiots......:lol: :elmer:

Good, because Texas is a long drive to come bail you out or pick you up from the emergency room.
We flew to Texas end of '21 to pick up a truck and drove it home. About 1600 miles. Mama and I made the trip over 3 days. Great time.

A few years ago I was mowing the front yard and a guy comes up behind me and tapped me on my back. I about lost it and swung around and almost knocked him off his feet. He was selling something, I don't remember what it was, but I told him, well, you can imagine how the rest of the story goes!!!!

A few years ago I was mowing the front yard and a guy comes up behind me and tapped me on my back. I about lost it and swung around and almost knocked him off his feet. He was selling something, I don't remember what it was, but I told him, well, you can imagine how the rest of the story goes!!!!
My X had a habit of coming out to the shop and it was like she always snuck up on me. Just couldn't get it through her head to quit that crap. Finally she would knock on something instead of walking up behind me after I finally got really pissed one day....and then she says I have anger issues. Just thinking about her crap makes me angry lol

My X had a habit of coming out to the shop and it was like she always snuck up on me. Just couldn't get it through her head to quit that crap. Finally she would knock on something instead of walking up behind me after I finally got really pissed one day....and then she says I have anger issues. Just thinking about her crap makes me angry lol
Two weeks later there was a sign at the entrance to our development......... " NO SOLICITING"......

Two weeks later there was a sign at the entrance to our development......... " NO SOLICITING"......
There's some that ignore that. Years ago I had some guy walk into my garage/shop and he came all the way to the back. The front if the garage is like 120' from the road and it's another 50' to the back. Almost went postal on him lol.

About two months ago I was working in the 2nd garage sanding on an ancient door; my wife was at the bench nearby doing work on an old table. We kept hearing a voice; she heard it better as my hearing sucks. It was from my phone in my pocket – it was 911. Somehow with my moving around and bumping the phone I guess, 911 call. After explaining this was a mistake and apologizing we ended the call.

About a half hour later, I’m still in the garage scraping on the door, my wife had went back in the house. Suddenly someone taps me on the shoulder, startling me and I whirled around with the scraper in hand. Was a female county sheriff (darn cute too). She had backed away after tapping me, suppose a smart move by cops, lol. She apologized for giving me a start and said she had tried to get my attention, not hearing her. 30-feet behind her is her large SUV squad I also never friggin noticed. Tossed the scraper on the door as we chatted. She responded about the 911 call to make sure everything was alright..

There's some that ignore that. Years ago I had some guy walk into my garage/shop and he came all the way to the back. The front if the garage is like 120' from the road and it's another 50' to the back. Almost went postal on him lol.
Some tried to work around the signage. After a few phone calls, they got religious. Leave us alone. I had a guy come up to me and suggest they were working on some roofs in our development and said he was willing to give me a free estimate. I looked at him and said, if you can't see that my roof is new you're to stupid to work for me and if you do realize my roof is new, you think I'm stupid. I looked at him and said, do you know what I'm going to do next, he turned and walked away!! It's ridiculous the balls they have.

That's why I don't go into Halloween haunted houses, I'm no tough guy, if you truly frighten me, there is a fist or foot coming your way.
Had a mime get in my face once.....didn't scare me but just don't care for them and told him he had about 3 seconds. He knew what I was talking about and left. Same way with clowns. Never ever cared for them.

Another story of being startled: Last spring around midnight, fast asleep I’m startled by the sound of repeated pounding on the front door, then a couple doorbell rings, more pounding. Lol, what would you do?

Well, grabbed my S&W keeping it behind my back in the dark making way to a window where I stooped low to see who was out there. It was two sheriffs. Our motion sensitive camera lights were on. Now, WTF to do with my gun? Not about to answer the door holding it. Kept low and slid it under the sofa in the office room nearby. In my sweat-shorts and barefoot, opened the door stepping out. They asked for my name and if anyone else was in the house. By then my wife was behind me, so we ahh, introduced ourselves. Asked us again if anyone else was in the house. Nope. Can I ask about your visit? They asked if we heard any gunshots. We hear fireworks any time of year with people on the lake and a guy down the road had a shooting range in his backyard, but he moved recently, so not unusual we hear what sounds like gunfire.

We live in the country (used to be more country-like) nephew lives about 300 yards from us and thanks to a new huge service station, across open field that is around the same distance in the other direction. That prompted us to put up more cameras around the place. Asked them if they want me to call my nephew. They say no, we’re going there next. Lol, to wake them up like they did us. Cops got a tough job, last thing I’d want to do is come up the someone’s front door at midnight banging on it.

yeah not a good practice with some older people

Smiley scared.gif

Had a mime get in my face once.....didn't scare me but just don't care for them
Those guys are funny.....you can say anything you want to them.....if they reply they have failed. :lol:

Had a street artist get angry at my wife and I while travelling through Paris many years ago.
This guy starts yelling "SILHOUETTE, SILHOUETTE".

Turns out he was drawing a silhouette of someone else at the time and we were standing between them. :rofl: As we walked away we were laughing and calling out "Silhouette....silhouette"

I was finishing up a job at a community college. I guess about 1am, I told the security guard that’s about the time I would be finishing up. I kept hearing noises out near my trailer I called out the guys name and no answer. I figured I was tired, I just shut my trailer door he stepped around the side of my trailer. I dam near whacked him with a pry bar that i had I’m my hand.

This is a funny topic.
Most of my life, I've been "jumpy". I get focused on what I'm doing and get startled when someone just appears without me noticing. It can be quite entertaining to others to catch me off guard and see my reaction.
Knowing that....Mary has been real careful when trying to get my attention while I was on the roof recently. I've mentioned the fall I took in June of this year but the work up there had to get done. Mary would patiently call out in soft tones when I was looking near her way.
Any other time, it is....game ON for her.

My wife calls out when she enters the garage......if I'm working downstairs and concentrating, I scare easily. :D

I bought a sign last week just in case unexpected visitors arrive.....

20230917_111307.jpg

One of the things about sitting up on the side of a ridge in the country is how some folks approach
the ol' homestead, since it involves a quarter mile drive up a gravel road that picks up a few hundred
feet in elevation along the way.
Simply put, there is no "quiet" to any attempt at approach - if I'm here, I know you're coming up.

That doesn't keep some of them from trying to be sneaky though and it's hilarious at times.
My hearing isn't so hot anymore either (tinnitus pretty bad) - but I have rabbit ears for the sound of
crunching gravel under tires.

Most recent event (and probably top 10 funniest in 25 years here) was when a county process server
(contracted out in some instances, so no uniform or marked cruiser in this case - just a little butch
looking lady in a Nissan) was trying so hard to silently come up the road.
By the time she got all the way up here, I had already grabbed the Sig and gone out onto our big front
covered porch, off to the side of sight of the door - and was waiting for her.

She comes up the walk slowly and on tiptoes, me watching her and trying to keep from laughing....
She gets one foot on the porch step and I suddenly bark out "HEY!!" - and y'all know I can be
loud when I wanna be - and she damn near does a backflip off that step.
:lol:
(One tip for folks in similar situations, by the way - never point the firearm AT them unless they're a threat -
that's "brandishing" - just let them see it and just as importantly, let them see you're comfortable with it in
your hand).

She tries to regain her composure, then stammers out "I think I may be lost..."
Yeah lady, that part was determined the moment you turned up my road....where you looking for?
By the way, let me see some ID.
gun is still in my hand and she's watching it intently...
"I can give you a number to call, sir, bla bla..."
Not getting anywhere, she stammers out "I grew up in the country, I know how to approach a house the
right way..."
Well lady, given the situation here right now, I'd say you might want to work on that a bit more...
"You're not going to help me at all, are you sir?"
Sure I am - in fact, I'm going to not only not shoot you, I'm going to see to it you get the hell back off my
property safely.

(I point to the front yard) Turn around right there and go back down nose first...
"B-b-but sir, about this address?"
(The smile leaves my face) Go on now. Git!
She does, of course. I get a call from the sheriff later. We laugh about it....

I don't know about the rest of you older codgers, but I find my "situational awareness" is more prevalent when
out and about these days; I watch people, at the store or restaurant or car show or wherever...
Always looking at their hands, looking for odd behaviors or movements, especially since the law changed here
and you can now carry without a permit.
I guess those old firearm training courses did sink in a bit after all. Short of paranoia, that's a good thing I think.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back