• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 383 engine Issue

Oil gallery plug missing.
The machine shop should have measured the pickup tube height before putting the pan on and didn't.
Could have wrong pickup and pan combination and tube isn't close enough to the bottom of the pan.
First step is a good mechanical gauge.
If you have an electric fuel pump, the push rod could be missing.

My first thoughts go to a Crack in the pickup threads.

Oil gallery plug missing.
The machine shop should have measured the pickup tube height before putting the pan on and didn't.
Could have wrong pickup and pan combination and tube isn't close enough to the bottom of the pan.
First step is a good mechanical gauge.
If you have an electric fuel pump, the push rod could be missing.
Not sure what affect a missing fuel pump push rod would have on engine oiling. I could be wrong without looking at a block or the FSM oil diagram but isn't the pump push rod gravity feed? If there is an oil feed at that point it would be well beyond having any effect on engine oiling of bearings. It also would have caused a problem long before this.
But I have also seen similar loss of pressure just before total bearing failure due to excess clearances.

Pump tube height would have shown on the dyno run. It doesn't take long to pump a few quarts out of the pan even at cam breaking RPM's. Oil pressure flocculation should have been a dead giveaway.

This all leads to the point this engine needs to come out and gone through and I would not do it for free if in the shops error.

Engine was shut off as soon as it lost pressure. Break in oil and filter were change and pressure then was fine. drove car about 15 mile yesterday and it runs fine. Like I said it was also run thru a Dyno before install. My guess is a stuck relief valve but not sure. If the engine develops issue in the future it will be up to the builder.

Thanks

OK went out and started the Coronet ..... oil pressure is fine..... some how when it warms up and you get on it... the pressure goes to zero ..... again would this be the relief vale issue?

Got me stumped ???

View attachment 1304201
Are you positive that the wire on your sending unit is not loose? This happened to me on my A12 Bee after a clutch and flywheel swap. Take a close look. Good luck.

Glad you got the oil pressure back when driving. New rebuilt motor you just never know. Keep an eye on it and hope it all works out for you. Never had a problem with mine from the get-go. Oil pic up tube and oil pan must be compatible with each other. Oil pickup tube should be as deep in the pan as you can get it but need clarence enough to have good pick up. Should be some kind of tray in the pan so all the oil doses not run to the back of the pan when launching the car off.

i would say u had something break?
what oil pump did the shop use?
the gauge put on it was it electric or mechanical?
there r lots of things it could be , i guess u r not real mechamical cause u had some or else build yje motor . right?
i have a 72 440 i rebuilt it tp 71 specs it has a standard nos pump i have 50 psi @ idle &700 runing down the road . i use to have a 73 polara it had a heavily cammed 400 i put high volume /pressure . i peged a 95 # gauge onnthr track . i have a freind that has the same pump in all 4 of his cars . he saids hes running 125 psi . we like lots of lubrication on the thigs rgart need it . my polraran 115 mph in te 1/4 . my freids cars (the one is a afx nss car its a wheel syander 8.80@s168 with the tires 3-4f =t high his victory nss gets 9.25@148 & his wifes car gets 10.00 flat & 130 mpr & he has a driver ,413 meax wedge but ho dont race it .itds his grocery & church (in tthe summer . the rest r rb with max wedge heads al use the oem copy of the dc hp pump this is the legs version of it JEGS 23546: Oil Pump for Big Block Chrysler (361, 383, 413, 426, 440) [High Volume] - JEGS High Performance

Oil Pump for Big Block Chrysler (361, 383, 413, 426, 440) [High Volume} $103.99​

Milodon 21814 Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps | Summit Racing

Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps​

$219.95

Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps

Oil Pump, High-Volume, High-Pressure, Billet Aluminum, Black Anodized, Mopar, Big Block/426 Hemi, Each

i have a 72 440 i rebuilt it tp 71 specs it has a standard nos pump i have 50 psi @ idle &700 runing down the road . i use to have a 73 polara it had a heavily cammed 400 i put high volume /pressure . i peged a 95 # gauge onnthr track . i have a freind that has the same pump in all 4 of his cars . he saids hes running 125 psi . we like lots of lubrication on the thigs rgart need it . my polraran 115 mph in te 1/4 . my freids cars (the one is a afx nss car its a wheel syander 8.80@s168 with the tires 3-4f =t high his victory nss gets 9.25@148 & his wifes car gets 10.00 flat & 130 mpr & he has a driver ,413 meax wedge but ho dont race it .itds his grocery & church (in tthe summer . the rest r rb with max wedge heads al use the oem copy of the dc hp pump this is the legs version of it JEGS 23546: Oil Pump for Big Block Chrysler (361, 383, 413, 426, 440) [High Volume] - JEGS High Performance

Oil Pump for Big Block Chrysler (361, 383, 413, 426, 440) [High Volume} $103.99​

Milodon 21814 Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps | Summit Racing

Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps​

$219.95

Milodon Billet Aluminum Big Block Chrysler Oil Pumps

Oil Pump, High-Volume, High-Pressure, Billet Aluminum, Black Anodized, Mopar, Big Block/426 Hemi, Each
You have more money to spend than I do. But really 125 psi? I do fine with 100 psi gauges.

Auto Transport Service
Back