• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New oil pump - pack with Vaseline?

Disassemble the pump and make sure it is clean and the bypass works freely. Reassemble with quality motor oil or assembly lube. I'd use Vaseline to make a grilled cheese sandwich before I packed my oil pump with it.
:rofl::rofl:

269ryh.jpg

Do yourself a favor, and just use oil. It will work fine, as long as it's not dry.

Oil works just fine. STP would stick on the rotor tips a little longer, if you weren't going to prime it for a while.

Thats the problem I have found with STP it sticks to everything. Then with heat it hardens. Would not use it in a junk engine alone something new.

If it's going to be a length of time, before the pump is used, something I've always done is a mix. Doesn't need to be 'packed', just the pump cavity/gears coated. 2/3 assembly lube, 1/3 30wt oil, mixed together.
That keeps the pump primed for pick-up, and protects from moisture/rust.

Lubriplate in the tube already has a lighter oil in it.

I might need to explain a word used for many, many years. When we "Pack" the oil pump, I don't mean cram the thing so full, or remove the cover to "Pack" it full. What I mean is that I squeeze some in one end, and turn the pump until I see it on the other side. Oil works well, but I build motors for people, and unless the motor is being installed immediately, the oil drains out. The white lithium remains, and will generate an easy prime whenever they get around to installing it. White lithium is completely dissolvable in oil, and causes no harm. Hell, I have seen many engine build articles where big name people used white lithium on EVERYTHING. I use Driven assembly grease on valves, cams, and lifters. I use Moly Assembly Lube on bearings. I use white lithium in the pump, and oil on everything else: pistons, rings, timing chain, rockers & shafts (or studs). The oil I use is Driven 15W50 BR oil for the zinc. I know I have only built a couple motors (sarcasm inserted), but it works well for me...

Auto Transport Service
Back