• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure

Polo62

Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
Can I get a true oil pressure check with a drill and shaft running to oil pump on a 440

you won't get oil up top unless you rotate the assembly while drilling, so I would say "no"

I did with mine; 75 p.s.i., with my wife spinning the engine over on the starter. Use Wix filters, not Fram.

DSCF0039.JPG

Any engine that I’ve primed on a drill will go up to full pressure. Pressure is one thing, lube everywhere like @eldubb440 said is another.

You can verify it has pressure. Slowly rotating a few degrees at a time will ensure the cam holes line up to feed oil to both heads/rockers. Most times you will see around 70 psi. However when the engine is running in the car that psi number will drop. The actual running pressure will depend on pump volume, oil weight choice, oil temperature, and internal clearances.
Doug

Last edited:
Can I get a true oil pressure check with a drill and shaft running to oil pump on a 440

I think the answer to your question is no.

The priming oil pressure will not reflect operating oil pressure, if that is your question.

You can verify it has pressure. Slowly rotating a few degrees at a time will ensure the cam holes line up to feed oil to both heads/rockers. Most times you will see around 70 psi. However when the engine is running in the car that psi number will drop. The actual running pressure will depend on pump volume, oil weight choice, oil temperature, and internal clearances.
Doug
Is 30psi enough to drive it that's what my gauge shows 30 to 35 with it running

30-35 is ok....... does it increase at all with RPMs....... thicker oil might give it a bump

The motor is inshop hanging on a chain hoist you can't rev it much wants to turn over maybe 2000 rpm and it didn't get over 35psi and only 30psi with drill and someone spinning motor with starter

Lucky to have 15 psi on the 440 in my Bird. Have run the **** out of it for 34 years.... zero issues.

Thanks man I just wanted to know before I put it in my charger done put a 400 in it that runs crappie bad valves or cam wanted this one right because that's lots of work to keep changing engines but the 400 has 60psi

Auto Transport Service
Back