• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OIL PRIMING '67 440/Hp?

I know this thread is ancient, but it's what came up when I googled "oil priming 440" so I'll add my experience. Was spinning the oil pump ccw with my Makita cordless for several minutes getting nowhere. Seemed to be spinning plenty fast enough, but I happened to notice my drill was in low gear. Switched it to high and had 60 psi in literally about 3 seconds.

I know this thread is ancient, but it's what came up when I googled "oil priming 440" so I'll add my experience. Was spinning the oil pump ccw with my Makita cordless for several minutes getting nowhere. Seemed to be spinning plenty fast enough, but I happened to notice my drill was in low gear. Switched it to high and had 60 psi in literally about 3 seconds.
THANK YOU for the updated info Believe it or not, that motor and car are STILL waiting to be reassembled! It did run for a bit, whole car got repainted to its original 881 Bright Blue Metallic , then sanded it all off and again repainted ! (the painter used expensive paint and really cheap clear coat) Whole car looked melted. Motor refreshed caused it had now been sitting another 3 years. Its now in our new shop, and within about a month, it all goes back together. Really! I'll send pics

Assuming your Hex priming tool IS engaging the oil pump drive Hex & you pipe plugged the block's oil pick up threaded casting, you should prime & hear pressurized oil squirting throughout the engine & see 20-30 gauge psi after a dozen turns or so. On new dry pump install, I smear light assembly lube or gear oil on the pump's rotors to help the prime suction come up fast even using a "speed" wrench hand crank .You should be able to hand pump up 20 psi easily..tom

If you're using the stock oil pick up tube, no pipe plugged needed of course.

Auto Transport Service
Back