• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok body guys...here's the game plan

Beautiful!
I love that color, and that car is really going to look awesome when its done!

While I was waiting on my buffer to come in, I assembled my grill and had to stick it in for a photo (and a little inspiration). Its just got a couple of bolts holding it in. I have since pulled it back out and started the color sanding process. Soon as the cutting/buffing is done I'll take some more pics.

Jason

DSC_0150.jpg

Heres a couple of pics. The Blue you see in the rear pic is some spray can blue I used to guide coat the tailpanel after a coat of 2K.
Looks like your doing pretty well so far, attention to detail is the killer here. People tend to rush this stage in anticipation of laying down the paint.. I think we're all guilty of this at one time or another. I know I am. The only thing I would suggest is to use a "true" guide coat material. Paint has a tendency to clog whatever your using to sand, leaving material on the paper , causing uneven sanding and you chasing your tail .. Spend a few bucks to buy a true "carbon" based guide coat. It comes off pretty much as easily as it goes on and will save you a ton of headaches in the long run.

Looks like your doing pretty well so far, attention to detail is the killer here. People tend to rush this stage in anticipation of laying down the paint.. I think we're all guilty of this at one time or another. I know I am. The only thing I would suggest is to use a "true" guide coat material. Paint has a tendency to clog whatever your using to sand, leaving material on the paper , causing uneven sanding and you chasing your tail .. Spend a few bucks to buy a true "carbon" based guide coat. It comes off pretty much as easily as it goes on and will save you a ton of headaches in the long run.

Yeah, I figured the same thing too. I later switched to a 'powder' guide coat, similar to 3m's, but was somewhat cheeper. I used it on the filler and all phases of priming/blocking.

Jason

Absolutely beautiful, can't wait to see her all finished up!

looks great, making me re-think that i might have to go ahead and re-paint mine, it was re-painted before i bought it back, but it was a bit of a half-*** job IMO. great looking car though, keep up the good work its paying off

I've pretty much got it wired...I hooked up my jump box to it to test everything, I got an issue with the front park/turn signals, I've narrowed it down to the front light harness, got to pull it back out, unwrap and find the problem. I re-placed the engine harness with a new one from YearOne, but all the others are the originals because they were in pretty good shape, probably the front light harness was the worst, so Im gonna unwrap it and find the problem....
100_0324.jpg

Taillights, backup lights working.......ITS COMING TO LIFE!!!!!!

100_0340.jpg

100_0339.jpg

Cluster in.....I bench tested my clock, and it worked. when I put it in and hooked it up the second hand ran real fast, go figure. When I tested the wipers they ran, but when you turned it off, they wouldn't park. So I pulled the cluster back out, wiper switch had a terminal broke off, so I dug around in my parts pile, found another, cleaned, tested, installed it, now wipers work correctly. Pulled out the faulty clock and installed a nice clock delete I had for the time being (don't have a pic of it yet) Plan on putting in another clock or tach later, got a green duster steering wheel I have, temporarily installed until I get me a steering wheel, LOL...

100_0321.jpg

Horns, Horn relay, washer jug, washer pump installed....

100_0341.jpg

Ok quick story, I was trying to find a place to mount my ECU since I converted to electronic ignition. Ive seen those cool bracket/mounts on eBay that mount on the rear of intake on the valley pan hold down strips....well those things on eBay for $20ish plus shipping, well me being cheap and wanting it now...a piece of scrap sheet metal, bench vise, body hammer, 1/4" drill, black spray paint, 30 minutes later....VOILA......

100_0343.jpg

Well just a quick update, I plan on installing gas tank, lines, distributor, plugs/ wires, ah a whole list of **** this week. My plan it to try to fire it off and hear it run..not driving yet just running by Feb. 6. I got a story why I picked that date, but more on that later.

Jason

update...been a while

New AMD rear bumper and rear tail stripe installed........

103_0524.jpg

102_0533.jpg

102_0536.jpg

102_0537.jpg

102_0543.jpg

Jason

I'm not a fan of 'green' by any stretch... so please accept my highest compliments, because that car is looking GOOD !

Been a while since I've updated, after installing stripe and bumper, I installed the exhaust system I bought off eBay. It was a reproduction system and fit pretty good, the left tail pipe give me a little problems, but I got it in. I installed repro exhaust tips from eBay seller stripeclassics (nice tips) and I bought some new tip hangers from member Back in Black (thanks for the deal!). Here is a pic of the rear of the car with exhaust/tips installed. Also note in the pic the license plate, in Alabama now you can run year of manufacture plates, a friend found this 69 Alabama tag.
103_0589.jpg

I also undercoated the rear wheel wells and installed the wheel lip mouldings....
103_0591.jpg

Installed turn signal delete plates....
103_0579.jpg

Installed hood pad, core and cowl seals...
103_0580.jpg

BIG MOMENT, got the grille installed. The pic in my signature was taken not long after paint, just the grill held in with a couple of bolts. Its now fully installed with all the headlamp parts and hardware....
103_0583.jpg

103_0582.jpg

Scored a very nice used antenna on eBay for 32 bucks....
103_0590.jpg

Fender pentastar....
103_0586.jpg

Had a friend that owed me a favor (put a waterpump and brakes on his van) So he bought me some 3M adhesive and come over to give me a hand installing the vinyl top. The hardest part was the upper-inner corners of the sail panel, after a little cussing it was all good....
101_0599.jpg

101_0595.jpg

101_0596.jpg

101_0602.jpg

....then onto the headliner, I cleaned up and reused the original sunvisors, after a little elbow grease they turned out like new...
101_0608.jpg

101_0607.jpg

101_0604.jpg

With the help of my lovely assistant (wife....thanks Alesha!) we installed the backglass and trim....
101_0601.jpg

Then a couple of days later (again with wife's assistance) we install the front windshield....
P5200506.jpg

Here is how the Charger looks right now, I polished up all my original trim, it was in good shape to be original but there is a piece or two I may replace later on down the road. About all that is left bodywise is buy the front bumper, install it and the front valance. Buy rocker moulding clips (have new repro rocker mouldings), and buy/install side marker lenses. Other than the headliner, I got to buy and install most of the interior.
P5200507.jpg

Jason

that looks great.that color of green has always been one of my favorites.

****update****

I decided to sell my '73 Rallye Charger, to finally finish my '69 RT I have been working on and off on for a few years. I got what I wanted for it, so I let it go.

I ordered a lot of stuff (I'm sure I missed a thing or two) here's what I have ordered and from whom....

CLASSIC INDUSTRIES
-Seat/Trunk Divider
-Grant Steering Wheel Adapter
-Package Tray
-Bucket Seat Foam
-Seat Belts (Aftermarket)
-Trunk Mat
-Glove Box Liner
-Interior Rear Glass Trim

SUMMIT
-Grant Walnut Tuff Wheel
-Mopar Performance Air Cleaner
-Ignition Coil
-Chrome Lug Nuts (20)

521RESTORATIONS
-Front Bumper

INDIVIDUAL ORDERS OFF OF EBAY
-Carpet
-Door Panels
-ABS Plastic Seat Backs
-Door Jamb Windlace
-Rocker Moulding Clips
-15x7, ION625 Wheels (4)
-Decals Hood Indentions
-Front E-brake Cable
-Misc. Hardware From Fastener Store

Well, stuff has started showing up, today my wheels came in. They are ION 625, 15x7, I really liked these wheels, sort of has a Magnum look to them, but look more current. I went to the local tire shop, and had 235/60-15 BFG's mounted on them. Had to throw a pair on and snap some pics. Totally changes the 'attitude' of the car.

101_1090.jpg

101_1088.jpg

101_1087.jpg

101_1092.jpg

Installed the bumper brackets, AMD front bumper, front valance and front turn signals...

101_1095.jpg

101_1094.jpg

Installed the decals on the hood scallops...

101_1100.jpg

Took a new pic of the engine with new air cleaner. I bought the MP to match my valve covers...

101_1102.jpg

Stay tuned.....

Jason

looks great, makes me hate being in iraq that much more...i'm missing all the damn car shows, lol

how hard was it to install your vinyl roof? did you just lay it out on the roof,spray the sealant on half at one side?

Auto Transport Service
Back