• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok body guys...here's the game plan

Looks GREAT ! What color are you planning on painting it ?

Thanks alot! Although its not a 69 color, I'm gonna paint it J6 "Go Green". Its not a numbers matching car, so I thought I'd paint it the way I want. In the beginning it was gonna be Y2 yellow, but after seeing a couple of Go Green/Sassy Grass cars at shows, I fell in love with that color.

I know I did it to early (at one point I was gonna go ahead and put the engine in) but I went ahead an painted the engine bay. I used Nason ful-base and Nason Select Clear 465-00.

Pic....

DSC_0007.jpg

Jason

Wow! I always love it! Its one of those love/hate colors, there is no middle ground on how you feel about it. With black or white stripes to set it off, it is one of the all time great colors. My engine bay is black and it looks like they tossed a paint grenade in it and slammed the hood!

Your car is looking awesome! I love the color too, it is going to be very nice. Seeing all those pics reminds me of where my 68 was just a few months ago. Man, I thought I would never get it done!!! Once you get up close to these cars with a sanding block they turn into a LOT of real estate... I think my arms still do that sanding motion sometimes when I sleep. LOL...

I ended up painting it myself as well because nobody would even touch it for less than $10K (to get started!!!).

Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of it in paint... :)

Your car is looking awesome! I love the color too, it is going to be very nice. Seeing all those pics reminds me of where my 68 was just a few months ago. Man, I thought I would never get it done!!! Once you get up close to these cars with a sanding block they turn into a LOT of real estate... I think my arms still do that sanding motion sometimes when I sleep. LOL...

I ended up painting it myself as well because nobody would even touch it for less than $10K (to get started!!!).

Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of it in paint... :)

Thanks! Yes I've logged alot of hours sanding...and still got more to do. I had a guy that was gonna do the body and paint a few years back, but he had it 2 years and didn't touch it, so I went to get it back. He let it sit outside for a while (it actually looked worse than when I sent it to him). After that I decided to try it myself.

Here's a couple of pics I dug up after I got it back from my 'friends' bodyshop...

Picture1128.jpg

Picture1123.jpg

Today, I finished blocking the hood, filled a couple of small dings I found, fixed a dinger I made installing the hood last week, drilled the holes for vinyl top trim (previous owner had filled them), and chisled out all the old seam sealer on the drip rails/then installed new sealer. I also installed the steering column and pushed it out of the shop to blow it off and clean it real good. This is the first time it has been outside of my IN 3 YEARS!!! It was great to see it outside in the daylight, so I snapped a few pics...

DSC_1548.jpg

DSC_1551.jpg

DSC_1552.jpg

Next step, mask it out, another coat of primer. Stay tuned......

Jason

Got it masked out, wiped down and sprayed with Urethane primer today.
DSC_1559.jpg

DSC_1557.jpg

Jason

Nothing is prettier than freshly primed car. Great job on the body!

These B-bodies are a body mans nightmare with the their long panels. I had a few refuse to do my 68 Coronet (not because of the condition) because of how long the panels were, and knew it wasn't a in and out job, and takes someone with a good eye for attention to make them right.

Nothing is prettier than freshly primed car. Great job on the body!

These B-bodies are a body mans nightmare with the their long panels. I had a few refuse to do my 68 Coronet (not because of the condition) because of how long the panels were, and knew it wasn't a in and out job, and takes someone with a good eye for attention to make them right.

Thanks! That was the deal with me, too. Seems like nobody wanted to work on my car. You read all the time where people gets there body and paint done and I'm thinking..."where do you find these people"? LOL. I've done pretty much all of it myself with the help of some great bodywork forums. It may not be perfect, but I think it looks a hundred times better.
I gotta block this primer, if Im happy with it...thats finally it, if not I may go one more round with urethane.
My goal is to have it ready to paint when spring gets here and its warm enough to paint.

Jason

Today I got the roof primed. I had to fill a couple of small dings, I dug out all the old sealer in the drip rails, replaced it, then epoxy primed it. Im not gonna worry about hi-build primer on the roof, since I plan on installing a vinyl top anyways.
Speaking of which, I went ahead and ordered my top today from Legendary, so I will have it on hand when the time comes. They are having a holiday special until 12/31/09, 20% off....so I got the top with shipping and all for $114. If anyone else plans on ordering before the 31st, the code is HS123109.

Later,
Jason

DSC_1770.jpg

DSC_1761.jpg

Great job so far! Do you mind sharing some of your body work forums? I am getting ready to enter the body work stage on my 66 charger.

Car is really taking great shape. Now that your done blocking and priming and have all your gaps set, Are you going to disassemble all of the removeable panels before putting them into color? It is a pain, but I believe the final product comes out better. After they are in base and cleared you can wet sand and buff each panel by its self before hanging on the shell. This is just our way of doing a complete, but you can get paint coverage every place and do your final buff and glaze after assembly. I was just wondering what method you were going to use. Anyone else paint in pieces or are we nuts up here. Best of luck!

Car is really taking great shape. Now that your done blocking and priming and have all your gaps set, Are you going to disassemble all of the removeable panels before putting them into color? It is a pain, but I believe the final product comes out better. After they are in base and cleared you can wet sand and buff each panel by its self before hanging on the shell. This is just our way of doing a complete, but you can get paint coverage every place and do your final buff and glaze after assembly. I was just wondering what method you were going to use. Anyone else paint in pieces or are we nuts up here. Best of luck!

Yeah, the car is definately coming back apart, but right now Im sorta leaning toward "cutting in" all the panels.... painting all jambs, backsides, etc. Then reassembling/re-aligning, then shooting the outside at once. Im thinking about that for 2 reasons.....#1 I dont know if I got the room to paint everything apart (planning on putting together a temp paint booth in my shop) and #2 Fear of scratching/banging up stuff during re assembly because Im a rookie..LOL. When installing my hood (in primer) I f*cked up and put a ding in it, that I had to fix. But its a little while before I paint... might change my mind before then and do as you suggest.. because that does sound like the best way to me.

Thanks,
Jason

You can hang the doors, fenders, hood & trunk get them all in base. We use wire and hang them from the rafters. 330 everything & Shoot your clear while there hanging. Store them some place and base and clear the shell while everything is off. Then its the fun of wet sanding and buffing. When you go for reassembly tape all the edges with a few layers of green 2" tape. Have all the hardware & tools ready to go, and a friend or two to help. I bet it will work out fine. You will get great coverage and no tape lines. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advise dantrap. Im looking foward to finally painting this thing!

Jason

When I painted mine I was space limited as well and wanted to minimize dings and scuffed bolt heads etc too, but I also wanted to spray the car as a whole to ensure all body panels matched. So after getting all panels to align I pulled the fenders off and I cut in the fenders and edge of engine bay (and behind where the hood springs go), then installed the fenders and hood and adjusted them just how I wanted them, then removed the hood, doors, and trunk lid and painted the engine bay, trunk, trunk jamb, door jambs, inside of the doors, window openings (glass removed), and under the hood and trunk lid.

Finally I put it all back together very carefully and masked everything very very carefully to not get overspray on any painted surfaces, and sprayed the car as a whole. It felt like it was lots of extra work, but I really like how it came out.

Also, a major concern was overspray in the engine compartment and trunk coming up from underneath while spraying the car, so I masked and/or covered every single crevice and opening including the bottom of the engine bay. Again... lots of extra work, but at least I avoided messing anything up after it was all nice and painted (because I know I would have). :)

No your not nuts, it's the best way to get an OEM style job for sure. With solid colours its much easier to accomplish, a little trickier with mettalics and pearls as orientation of the mettalics/pearls/mica's changes with gun position/distance/speed. It's a little more of a challenge to reassemble and align with out any scrapes/bangs/bruises but can definitely pay off. On the other side of the coin is with careful masking/reverse masking in the jambs etc you can pull a beauty job off and have no worries about paint consistency! Looks to me like you fella's do nice work in your shop Dantrap, seen some of the cars you worked on in another thread.

Your Charger looks great btw, I wish I was that far along!

Auto Transport Service
Back