• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG! The Pontiac Grand Am is getting out of paint jail!!!

SteveSS

Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
It's been in the shop for over a year. I know this is a Mopar site but let me retell the story. When I was a young teen we lived in Independence. Kansas, Kind of in the 4 corners of KS,OK,AK and MO. We bought our new cars in Tulsa, about 80 miles away. This was 1973 so there was a BIG change in GM muscle cars. The GTO became the Grand Am with a bunch more luxury items. I remember dad being mad about not being able to dim the headlights. They had moved the switch to the column European style. So my Dad is low balling them and they won't take it, dad walks out.

The next day Mom went down and bought a 1973 Grand Am with everything on it. 455c.i. Posi with low gears, air funnels running down to the grill slots. It must have had over 500 ft/lbs of torque. I am just hitting driving age and she brings this home.

I'm 62 and she's 89 and still drives. This is going to be so cool.

It's been in the shop for over a year. I know this is a Mopar site but let me retell the story. When I was a young teen we lived in Independence. Kansas, Kind of in the 4 corners of KS,OK,AK and MO. We bought our new cars in Tulsa, about 80 miles away. This was 1973 so there was a BIG change in GM muscle cars. The GTO became the Grand Am with a bunch more luxury items. I remember dad being mad about not being able to dim the headlights. They had moved the switch to the column European style. So my Dad is low balling them and they won't take it, dad walks out.

The next day Mom went down and bought a 1973 Grand Am with everything on it. 455c.i. Posi with low gears, air funnels running down to the grill slots. It must have had over 500 ft/lbs of torque. I am just hitting driving age and she brings this home.

I'm 62 and she's 89 and still drives. This is going to be so cool.
That's cool, hey I grew up in Parsons ks kinda your neighbor.

Love to see it. Back when I was brand loyal, I had about 50 Pontiacs. From a 64 GTO to a 78 Grand Am. Lot's of T/As, lots of GTOs, and a couple of others. Now I'm just a whore. ABF fan. Anything but Fords.

You know that you can't tell us a great story like that and not include some pics. Can't wait to see it.

:xscuseless:

One of my favorite cars, I remember sitting in freshman class drawing pictures of the GrandAm when it first came out, looking forward to seeing some pictures as it progresses.

Yep, we're all waiting to see it. Some more patiently than others:)
I remember the Grand-Am television ads when they were new, where they'd drive a car toward you and it hit a clear solid wall (plexiglass?) that showed the nose buckling in, then straightening out as the driver backed away. I wondered why the G.T.O. didn't get the cool front end at the time. Here's the comparison, GTO vs. Grand-Am. They said the name came from a cross between Grand LeMans and Trans-Am. With virtually the same engine options, the Grand-Am outsold the GTO by about ten to one.
78935758a320a3_hd_1973-pontiac-gto.jpg

ae8731e9ffad14fb425c1f2d07a7f87e.jpg

Last edited:
C'mon SFIK!! Don't make us wait all day for pics! lol

It's still in painT jail I have to go approve it before final blocking. I was a kid and didn't know anything about brake stand burnouts. I could just mash the pedal with no brakes and the car would just sit there not moving making clumps of rubber until I let off.

pretty sure grand am's were available as 4 doors and wagons.

that could account for some of the 10-1 sales

pretty sure grand am's were available as 4 doors and wagons.

that could account for some of the 10-1 sales
Good point about the four door, but there were no wagons. Two doors still had 80% of the Grand-Am sales in 1973.

wagon was marketed as a lemans- same colonnade platform

gm had a model identity crisis through the years

Don’t need a pic,, just the fact it’s getting out of jail is good!

About the same as our 1975 road runners I guess.

15 years ago, I had a 73 base charger 400 4 speed one of abut 75 made I am thinking .I could not hardly give it away, a great driver, brought $3000. Before that I had a great 71 runner, needed nothing, type driver, the 383 was gone and had a 400. Few people wanted such back in early 2000's much less before. I admit I had no interest in a 75 charger back then, BUT now!!! I have grown to appreciate more car designs. It is a form of art. ha
At my age, the 3 F bodies I have by the time they are worth squat, I will be long dead!!!! ha

Auto Transport Service
Back