• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions about working surface on workbench

miller

Local time
4:57 AM
Reaction score
Just getting a start on my new 30x30 shop. I have the basic build on my workbench, 2x15 feet top surface. Had to crowbar the thing into place, tight fit.

All wood bench, okay? Just have plain-jane 3/4 plywood for the top sub-base. Also have a better sheet of 3/4 plywood, going on the top of it. Still have to finish the cabinets, drawers, etc.

Just looking for thoughts on my idea for the final top surface on the bench. (Cannot afford much high dollar stuff) For now, I'm looking at a 1/4 inch sheet of aluminum I have. It's not big enough for the whole thing, only 3'x3', or so. Considering right smack in the middle of the bench.

Also thinking about 1/4 inch plexiglas, 2'x4', on each side. That would be good for 8 feet of the bench, leaving...7 feet. Hmm. (Maybe more plexiglas)

Anyway, any opinions? Thanks, guys.

Get yourself a HEAVY Thick wooden top bench. You will love it when you need to hammer something apart or together. Then a steel top also.

Thanks! Thought about that, too.

I'm bad about slapping a head, or trans, no telling up there. But, something that will hold up to the weight, but kinda easy to keep from soaking in fluids, and the like. Need to wipe the blood off, every now and then.

Formica is probably the least expensive thing you can top it with. It will keep oil and other liquids from soaking into the wood and will wipe off easily. It will scratch, but not as easily as plexiglass. Go to the local do it yourself center and pick out a color and pattern you like. It may take a few days to get unless you pick something they already stock.

All my favorite work benches have steel tops. But anymore steel is big bucks unless you can find something at the scrapyard. My neighbor has one that uses an old section of bowling lane and it works great. Laminated maple or fir depending on the location from the lane and 2-1/2" thick. I may build one using that in the future. It's really solid and looks really nice with a good coat of clear poly.

When I built my bench, I used 2 X 12s for the top. Then covered it with 3/4" plywood. I then took the measurement to my local heating and AC shop and had them make me a top cover using 14 gauge galvanized metal. I had them bend a 1" lip on the front and both ends for added protection for the top. It has been on there for over 20 years and still looks good when ever I clean it off enough to see it.

I have some thick vinyl flooring on my work bench, and it works pretty good. It was free, my ex-father-in-law gave it to me.

I have one formica top bench. Original top was 3/4" plywood then I expanded it a few inches using MDF then covered it with white formica. It's used for medium light duty stuff with no to very light hammering. I do carb work on it mostly. My engine room bench is topped with 2x12's with a section covered with heavy vinyl flooring. The bench behind my lathe is also topped with 2x12's and topped with heavy vinyl flooring but I also have a piece of 1/8" steel plate on one end and a heavy duty vise on it. Legs are 4x6 but it was mainly made of materials that I had. For the really heavy work I have a steel bench out under my back carport with a 1/2" thick steel top but you better be wearing ear plugs when you start beating things on top of that thing lol.

X2 on the Formica.
Mine's held up pretty well so far. Basically made the bench tops the same as kitchen counters. Glued the Formica with that nasty yellow contact cement & used a router w/ a laminate trimmer bit to run around the top to make a nice square edge (good for bending sheet metal over). The Formica seems to hold up to any solvent I've dumped on it, but one thing I've noticed is that battery acid (even vapor) will kind of bleach it out (I have slate blue tops) if you leave a battery sitting on top to charge, for example. Might be a concern depending on how fussy you are about your shop...

Thanks, guys!!

Great ideas. Good food for thought.

Had formica on my old bench, and held up fairly good. Once I get back on it, I finally decide which way to go.

I've been planning on coating my current plywood top with some polyurethane I have left over from a flooring job. A few nice thick coats and should wipe clean without a problem.

I live in a rental but my workbench is the old kitchen counters from the remodel the owner did. Stout and has the formica. I haven't done heavy duty work on it because it's not mine but it does the job.

I did the 2 X 12 topped with plywood thing on mine as well. I got a big chunk of formica from Home Depot that was extra from someone's special order, paid next to nothing for it since they wanted it out of the store. It's held up well for 12 years, with lots of hammering and/or prying on the vise.

I see a lot of these new bench tops on manufactured work benches are bamboo tops. I wonder how that holds up.

Bamboo. That's a new one on me, too.

Still got a open book on it, yet. In the 2 car garage, at the old place, had one of the re-cycled formica tops. It served it's purpose.

Still considering for ease of clean-up from all the various fluids and such. Heavy wood would work great, but soaks in all that stuff.

Well I was looking at some storage cabinets for garage/shop. the gladiator brand kept coming up in my searches, probably because lowes/HD carries them.

Anyways, I think it was a work bench by gladiator that I first saw the bamboo bench tops.

I use tempered masonite tacked down to 3/4: plywood. You can beat the crap out of it and it holds up great.

Hmm, bamboo is a cool idea. Most of the bamboo flooring I've works with is really tough stuff. Heck, I happen to have some laying around from an old job, maybe I'll try that.

I have 3 6'-8" benches made from 1 3/4" solid particle board school classroom doors. Each one has a sheet of 16 gauge plain carbon steel with a 4" back splash and the front formed down and 1/2" under the bottom edge. Damn near indestructible.

My buddy did his using 2x8's with 3/4 ply and used the left over garage floor epoxy on the ply. Looks great and has held up well.
Wayne

I use tempered masonite tacked down to 3/4: plywood. You can beat the crap out of it and it holds up great.
Likewise here... I built my personal garage bench 30 years ago, just laid a sheet of masonite into the framed top... every couple of years, I just pop it out, drop a new sheet in, and it looks like brand new again.

Auto Transport Service
Back