• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

orange box dead,again.

67 coronet

Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
i had two orange ign control modules.67 has all of 410 miles on it.blew both in that time.running on factory module so I can move it around.chrome 8000 rpm module coming.boy this crap gets really old,really fast.

I just put a new chrome on mine. Hope it lasts longer then yours. I have the orange in the trunk just in case.

Chrome will last a lot longer. I have used 2 on 2 different MOPARS and they work as advertised. Orange boxes are total and complete "JUNK" IMHO...cr8crshr/Tuck

I have been using the same orange box since 1997 with never a failure. What coil and ballast are you using with the orange box ? Ron

I'm using an orange module that I picked up at a swap meet about 10 years ago without any problems. I think the old ones are much better. I also carry a spare mod in the trunk. Cheap insurance.

I'm using an orange module that I picked up at a swap meet about 10 years ago without any problems. I think the old ones are much better. I also carry a spare mod in the trunk. Cheap insurance.
I think you hit the nail on the head there smitty.one box came with the ign kit when I ordered it.the other was a new one as well.we will see when the chrome box gets here.
383man,the coil is msd and the ballast is a new borg warner.all readings of voltage are correct.

Mine may be working good because its an older box. But you can see the Accel super coil and the orange ECU box and the .75 ballast. This setup has been on our cars since 2000 and never has missed a beat. What is the primary ohms of that MSD coil and the ohms of the ballast ? Course it may just be the quality of the newer orange ECU box's are no good. Ron

411609494.jpg

Make sure it is properly grounded. They will heat up if not. Could that be the reason for early failure?

In the late 70's and into the 80's we were having problems with even the stock replacement boxes no matter where they came from. It got bad to the point where several of us took to the wrecking yards to pull factory originals off. And even back in the day, the orange boxes had made a bad name for themselves.....

I quit using the Mopar electronic ignition systems 20-years ago. They tripled the cost and quality went to crap. Last one I bought was for a smallblock, and the rotor phasing was way off.
The old Mopar electronic ignition conversion kits that I bought in the 1980's, were fine. Never has an issue with then, and they were only about $80.00 before they jacked the prices up.

Took mine off and used my original distributor with the Pertronix Ignitor 11 and matching coil,my car has never run better.

i had two orange ign control modules.67 has all of 410 miles on it.blew both in that time.running on factory module so I can move it around.chrome 8000 rpm module coming.boy this crap gets really old,really fast.
I would just put a Pertronix ignition in it and forget it.

My orange box lasted a few months of weekend driving. I replaced it with a jegs high Rev 7500 box, been good so far.

Auto Transport Service
Back