• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint color coverage..good vs bad ?

rustytoolss

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering on average what paint colors provide the best coverage (less coats)...and which colors on average require more coats ? I've been thinking of a 1960 GM color sorry mopars guys )called " Suntan Copper". So how bad are copper colors ?

What is under the paint plays a big part.
Aka, a light grey sealer under silver, whites , ect.
A dark grey or black sealer under dark colors.
Quality of the paint plays a huge part.
Many times the same color mixed in different product lines from the same brand will have better or light coverage.
Like.... Ppg s Deltron DBC & Ppg Omni.
As a rule your darker colors will cover decent over a dark sealer.
But then I have seen blues , reds , ect that don't.
Buy the best you can afford and keep the primer/ sealer on the same side of the color wheel.

That color probably isn't going to cover well. Even with the proper ground color.

Your best coverage is obviously your blacks , Grey's. Metallic or not doesn't really matter. The hardest coverage will be yellows and oranges or lime green. Silvers, golds , white , blues and reds kind of fall in the middle . But there is always exceptions depending on exact color and brand of paint.

This orange was see through lol.
20211014_082640.jpg

I remember spraying single stage acrylic enamel in the 80s.......no matter the color, 3, maybe 4 times around the car; and you were done

I would think the modern urethane SS paint should be the same........ you can't circle the car 12 times with SS, it would be an inch think, and running onto the floor

things to ponder ........

Last edited:
What's wrong with Turbine Bronze?

How does the OP's color compare?

My YY1 "medium bronze" in Nason's "Full-Cryl III" covered pretty well.

IIRC three coats.

What's wrong with Turbine Bronze?

How does the OP's color compare?

My YY1 "medium bronze" in Nason's "Full-Cryl III" covered pretty well.

IIRC three coats.
nothing wrong with Turbine Bronze..I would say that turbine bronze is a darker/deeper color. I was watching " Iron reserection" and saw the 60 Impala they were doing and liked the color ( 1960 Chevy Suntan copper..has a bit of a peach/pinkish tone)..and may work better with my interior.

Last edited:
My racecar is sprayed with sunburst orange 802K 2004 GM color code. I think the newer colors pop in the sun much better than the old stuff. Covered well over light grey sealer. Also color matched on touch up as well. New hood was painted 10 years after the car. Matches perfect. Most of the flake is pearl instead of metallic. The painter said it was much easier to spray as the heavy metalic didnt tend to settle in the bottom of the cup.
Doug

open comp at milan.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back