• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint question

c.moo

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
Going to buy paint. The color is light turquoise code jj1 1965 . But it isn't metallic paint. Can i mix metalliic into it ? Ask TCP Gobal , wasn't very big help. Base coat /clear coat paint. Thanks

Going to buy paint. The color is light turquoise code jj1 1965 . But it isn't metallic paint. Can i mix metalliic into it ? Ask TCP Gobal , wasn't very big help. Base coat /clear coat paint. Thanks
I use PPG and when I used to paint motorcycle parts you can pretty much make any color metallic. I had a solid blue that I added fine aluminum toner to it to make it metallic. I’m sure where ever you’re getting the paint from have metallic toners or if you want to go wild, buy the powder.

72CB9F8F-9D3E-4607-8B7D-90F5EFF9B86F.jpeg

What he said^^^^

You can mix in whatever you want, flake, pearls, etc. Go to your local paint supply and I'm sure they'll mix what ever you want... as long as you know what you want.

What is the desired result? Have you considered finding a similar color in metallic? If you ever have to do a repair, a home brewed concoction will be harder to match.

I would just look for a similar Cole that is a metallic. But if you do decide to add the metallic toner to the original formula, go lightly because the added silver will lighten the color up very quickly if you start adding a lot. Also record the formula for the mix in case you ever need to do a repair

Not much of a paint person i have done some but nothing like you guys anyways the question o have is back in the day dupont had a product that everyone was using called imron don't know much but it did have a get shine and could repair easy any thoughts on this or i might be completely off base

I am definitely NOT a paint person, but my best friend had her a66 challenger painted b7 Imron (original color ). Durable? You couldn't put a bullet through it! Terrific paint, now of course completely illegal to shoot in California. Now that a large part of the market is gone, i doubt if it's available anywhere. My friend unfortunately bent her challenger, had to have it repainted, new is nowhere near as good as Imron.

I am definitely NOT a paint person, but my best friend had her a66 challenger painted b7 Imron (original color ). Durable? You couldn't put a bullet through it! Terrific paint, now of course completely illegal to shoot in California. Now that a large part of the market is gone, i doubt if it's available anywhere. My friend unfortunately bent her challenger, had to have it repainted, new is nowhere near as good as Imron.
So what is the replacement i live in az i have not got to the point of paint still handling the door dings etc. But want to paint want to paint it myself as i remember imron was forgiving but also made a rookie like me look great as long as the detail guy did a great finish and maybe thats all i need to do is find a great finishing guy to teach me how to finish

Research, it might be available in Arizona. I believe it's legal for a private person to shoot imron on their own car in a garage, but Highly illegal for a shop to shoot in ca, and i think illegal to sell here too. IF it's available, i sure would use it. You may be able to buy from out-of-state, if you shoot yourself.

Research, it might be available in Arizona. I believe it's legal for a private person to shoot imron on their own car in a garage, but Highly illegal for a shop to shoot in ca, and i think illegal to sell here too. IF it's available, i sure would use it. You may be able to buy from out-of-state, if you shoot yourself.
Ok going to check into it even if its early for the project. Would be nice to know i feel for you guys I feel for you guys over there you need to get out its just stupid and you know the old saying you can't fix stupid.

I guess if i found it here the paint store will hook me up on primer etc to use so thanks for the input.

You can still get imron here in Va. but if you decide to use it, get the best respirator you can find. It is some nasty stuff!!! Been a body man for close to 30 years, and I’m paying the price for shooting that stuff back when it was popular. Personally if I was just starting to paint, I’d go with base clear, it’s so much easier to spray and to correct mistakes than any single stage is

Yep found it out here that stuff not cheap. I could do the base clear system but again I'm in phoenix and the sun can be pretty harsh. So that's why I was thinking single stage because it really holds up.

Gotcha. Personal opinion, if you want single stage PPG concept is about the best out there and pretty easy to spray. But it is pricy

Auto Transport Service
Back