• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a low mile 440 today.

Was a pain in the *** today but finally got it primed with oil. And tomorrow I think is the day I fire it up. I have to go buy a battery the one I have is junk. Crossing fingers its not a driveway grenade fest..

OK so no grenade but a couple other issues. Ran super warm.. I shut it down and figured out it was either the thermostat or a huge air pocket. Got that squared away. Exhaust so hot it bunt the paint off the valve cover But ran well. I think I had it way too lean and caused it to do that. I don't think I ran it long enough due to the fact my snapper tank kept running out of gas... 3 times.. I'll get a bigger tank and start it all over again. Also I have adjusted the carb as well. So hopefully It will all go a little better. The engine test stand worked like a charm. Other than those two problems everything went well. I know what to look for now. Also I need to pull the first and last exhaust manifold bolts out and reseal them. Tad bit of a leak on each. And one head bolt has a touch of water leaking. So all in all The next time I run it all the little bugs will be worked out.

Weird enough I couldn't get the oil pressure gauge to work. I took the distributor out and the intermediate shaft again today and ran the drill long enough to get oil up to the gauge. Question is will that only show pressure with the engine running?

Last edited:
Did you run it at 2,000 rpm for 20 min?
Is that the transmission thats going in the car? Did you get enough fluid into it after start-up?

Just curious.

The trans could probably use more fluid. I had about 4 quarts The transmission is the one that came out of the roadrunner. I put it on there so that I wouldnt have a torque converter just flopping around. But yea eventually it will go into a car. It was running for actually only about 15 minutes I ran out of gas. And yes at around 2000 rpms. I think in this video it was a tad lower than that. I was having heating issues prior.

The exhaust gets really hot during a cam break in. Thats why most will bolt on a used set of headers instead of useing an expensive set of coated ones for the break in.

I had a glitch during my cam break in and not having enough trans fluid in the trans right away, a pressure valve got sucked closed and stuck. Trans wouldn't go into gear.

I'm not sure if fifteen minutes was long enough. Maybe upon next startup try for another fifteen or twenty at 2,000 rpm. (See if anyone else chimes in)

Dont place the radiator cap on until the thermostat opens and you see coolant running through it.

On the radiator cap... I wish I would have known that.. lol Also I have a set of knockoff Year one hp manifolds on it now. I have another set of Originals hanging on the wall. I plan on doing it again but need a 5 gallon tank of gas.. and to fix the couple of leaks I have. I dont have any headers.. Wish i did. The year ones are nice The color they were was cast iron paint. So they were just prettied up..

What about the oil pressure gauge not working.. It never was full of oil until this afternoon when I re ran the drill and took the line out and had it dump into a can. Or will it only make pressure when the engine is running?

What about the oil pressure gauge not working.. It never was full of oil until this afternoon when I re ran the drill and took the line out and had it dump into a can. Or will it only make pressure when the engine is running?
Sometimes it takes a little to get the air out of the line before the oil gets to the gauge the first time. Sounds like you did that with the drill today. Keep an eye on it next time you start it up.

I know it was getting oil up top I pulled the valve covers off to make sure. When I primed the pump before I had it filling the rocker arms so I know its getting oil fine.. Just was worried about the gauge not working had me questioning things.. lol

Well it seems I may have found a home for the 440. Sold my toyota truck and have enough cash to get this thing going.. This car probably belongs to one of you guys. Its a 66 Belvedere V8 car

00X0X_1R9NyMGxBUA_1200x900.jpg

Here is the run after repairing the bearing and fixing the damn oil issue.

Would you be willing to sell those manifolds the knock-off set

Yea id sell the year one replicas. Make an offer I also have a set of 440 TTI headers. And a real set of Hp manifolds. PM me with an offer.

Auto Transport Service
Back