• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picking up a 69 Charger next week, not sure if rear-end is SureGrip or standard? (Pics Inside)

Not sure why it was uploaded so small, my image is quite large. Ill try again, but without embedding it.
*edit* Still showing a small picture. Odd. Here are some links to an outside host.

Pumpkin
Fender tag
Build Sheet
The spring marks on the build sheet, interfere with the axle numbers to an extent. Best I can tell you is, it looks like a 3.23 open with a 489 housing.

To get started, you will need to know the center section #. 741, 742, or 489. Then call Cass and he will explain your options.

The car im buying also has drum brakes all around, I see on Dr Diffs website he offers disc conversions. Would you also recommend I buy a front disc brake conversion kit from Dr Diff?

Good day all,
I have lurked this forum in the past and finally got around to creating an account now that I am finally going to own a 69 Charger.
I have attached pics of the fender tag and build sheet as well as a picture of the pumpkin in hopes to figure out if the diff is sure grip or just the old one-tire-fire.
Thank you all for your time, I look forward to learning as much as possible from the experts here :)

View attachment 1311157

View attachment 1311158

View attachment 1311159
Welcome from Iowa brother. Need a better pic of the upper broadcast sheet. There's a box that says Sure Grip and should have a 1 and another box for ratio

The car im buying also has drum brakes all around, I see on Dr Diffs website he offers disc conversions. Would you also recommend I buy a front disc brake conversion kit from Dr Diff?
I would recommend getting the car first, getting to know it and everything you need to do, and THEN start buying parts.

I would recommend getting the car first, getting to know it and everything you need to do, and THEN start buying parts.

100%, I am like this though. I like to have a plan for everything. I'm a bit nuts, but it's how I tick. Been in the classic car culture since 1995 and have owned too many to count. I am new to Dodge however, so just starting to fill my brain with as much info as possible while I have y'all's ears :)
I do appreciate you all. Great wealth of knowledge here.

BTW, picking up the car in WA. Flying up with the wife one way and driving it back to So CA 26hrs with 4 stops. Average travel time is 4.5hrs with the longest leg being 5.5 all the way along the beautiful coast. Going to be fantastic. We did this about 8 years ago in a 59 Coupe Deville (only car I ever regretted selling) but we came down the central route. The memories were next to none. This time we are taking the longer, coastal route. I'm excited to say the least. Not excited about the current gas prices and the assumed MPG of that 383 Charger.

Last edited:
I personally use his stage 2 kits on all my cars. Do some research and talk to others to determine what you want. And yes, I agree, get the car home before buying any parts.

Welcome. Waiting to see pics of said charger.

I personally use his stage 2 kits on all my cars. Do some research and talk to others to determine what you want. And yes, I agree, get the car home before buying any parts.

No parts right away, gotta let the spending go on cool down so no red flags go up with the wife.

Just saw a Charger like this for sale, same VR on the apron deal - I think it was on the WA Olympic Peninsula, Gig Harbor ? Looked like a nice car.
Somebody must have wanted to save the VR at that location & drilled the holes for it. Doesn't look connected, so likely the ignition was swapped to electronic.
Another vote for Dr Diff, I've done business with him a few times and always happy.

:xscuseless: :xscuseless:

So with some visual assistance.....if the seller lets you go for a test drive......compare your burnout marks with my "Handy-Dandy Tire Mark Compotator" picture :lol:

1657512870882.jpeg

If the differential is NOT a Sure Grip type, that is not a deal breaker. Considering how expensive it can be to restore one of these cars, converting the differential is one of the easiest things to do.
Good luck.

Thank you. What is the preferred way to go about making the rear diff posi/limited slip/SureGrip? Is it as basic as swapping out the gears? If so, who's the vender to buy from?

I will work on getting pics and posting ASAP. Thank you all for your help!

Take it to a good local rear end shop. Sending this heavy center section both ways to Wyoming is very expensive.

Ramjet rear end in San Fernando has done a lot of rear end work for the mopar guys around here. Ramjet Rear End Repair

You'll have to buy a limited slip unit. Dr Diff sells all geared limited slip that doesn't have clutches to wear out and does not take special fluid additives. At that time make a decision if you want the existing rear end ratio. If not buy new gear with other ratio.

Last edited:
Just to add, the original owner special ordered it during something called the White Hat Special back in 69.
White Hat Special option package included.....
1-Vinyl roof in black, white, tan or green
2-Simulated wood-grained steering wheel
3-Hood-mounted turn signals
4-Light Group
5-LH remote mirror
5-Whitewall tires
7-Deep-dish Wheel Covers

Here’s a good read White Hat Special.

12AED07C-87B1-4D3B-880B-9891D769C30B.jpeg
7AB5F0B1-7E18-4BBD-9FA0-623D48947631.jpeg

Looks like a keeper :thumbsup:.

Auto Transport Service