• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picking up a 69 Charger next week, not sure if rear-end is SureGrip or standard? (Pics Inside)

That's sweet! I really like the blue interior. Exterior looks great too! A buddy of mine bought a Charger out of California and flew in and drove it back to Ohio. On the 5th breakdown, somewhere around Indy, he finally succumbed and called a wrecker to to him home. Lol. It's a sweet car tho, he got a pretty good deal on it.

That's sweet! I really like the blue interior. Exterior looks great too! A buddy of mine bought a Charger out of California and flew in and drove it back to Ohio. On the 5th breakdown, somewhere around Indy, he finally succumbed and called a wrecker to to him home. Lol. It's a sweet car tho, he got a pretty good deal on it.

I am totally prepared for the worse, but I love these experiences and the inherent risk/challenges that come with them. These material purchases come and go, but the memories last forever.
I'm beyond excited. The car has never bounced around between sellers and flippers. It's an honest 2 owner car that comes with all records since new. Repainted in the 80's, but all panels and metals are original with nothing replaced. I have been waiting for an honest car like this for a long time.
Of course, if we get there and upon inspection discover something undisclosed or throws a red flag, we'll just rent a car and still make the 1,000 mile drive home :)

That's the car - congrats ! FWIW, I've owned several Mopars without Sure-Grip - it never bothered me, and in most driving there's no difference.

Beautiful car! Pic appear to show that is in VERY good condition. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Your fender tag scaled up and deciphered for your reference.

Last edited:
Beautiful car! Pic appear to show that is in VERY good condition. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Your fender tag scaled up and deciphered for your reference.

View attachment 1311687
Thanks so much for doing this, I appreciate you!

Code B51 is power Disc brakes? I'm fairly confident it has drum all around based on some pics I was sent.

290145442_444940220476589_4747839278230135642_n.jpg

290272396_3147817972135063_5653350662397066860_n.jpg

Hmmm....
My cheat-sheet has it down as power disc in '69-71...but that certainly could be in error.

Will try to verify one way or the other - your pics certainly aren't disc

M

**Edit - I believe my sheet was wrong:
B41 Frnt disc w/ 10" Rear drum
B42 Frnt disc w/ 11" Rear drum

so

B51 just = "Power". Sorry about that

Hmmm....
My cheat-sheet has it down as power disc in '69-71...but that certainly could be in error.

Will try to verify one way or the other - your pics certainly aren't disc

M

This site shows B51 as 69-71 Power Brakes

Looks like Ill add Disc brake conversion kit as a first "to do." Do you think this will hurt the value to convert to disc? Guess I can just hold on to the old drum parts. My wife wont like more "stuff" squirreled away as she says.

Your broadcast sheet also agrees: "Standard" front brakes.

As far as value, I wouldn't think conversion would reduce it. Makes for a safer car, too. These old babies went fast in a straight line....turning and stopping- not so much!:lol:

Last edited:
Here's an updated tag image with the above noted corrections.

M

***Edits:
Nobody is going blind - OP asked that I remove copies of his images containing his car's VIN and I happily oblige. Maybe some VIN-redacted images will return in the future - that is OP's call.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mark :thumbsup:

It looks like the ignition was replaced with a Proform Kit. Anyone know if this is a decent electronic ignition for these cars? At least I wont have to worry about points :)

This site shows B51 as 69-71 Power Brakes
[/URL]

Looks like Ill add Disc brake conversion kit as a first "to do." Do you think this will hurt the value to convert to disc? Guess I can just hold on to the old drum parts. My wife wont like more "stuff" squirreled away as she says.
I just replaced all the parts on a 10” front drum brake car with new parts. If I had to do it again, I’d just convert it to disk.

I just replaced all the parts on a 10” front drum brake car with new parts. If I had to do it again, I’d just convert it to disk.
I've been researching a lot of disc brake kits, but majority of them say to by used with 15"+ wheels. My wheels are the stock 14" steelies with hub caps. Wondering if there is a kit for my 14" wheels? Would be a pitb to have to buy new 15" wheels to fit my new disc brake conversion.

I was looking at this kit and in one of the Q&As someone mentioned the kit fit their 14' MOPAR Rallye's that are on their 1970 Plymouth Satellite. The wheels this car comes with aren't rally's however. I wonder if the clearance from the back of the wheels are the same?

I got a little video of the car here for anyone interested.

Last edited:
ARG. Me hearties.
Yep. 14 inch rims.
See, that's the thing about converting to disk.
Bigger is better.
There are even larger "Cordoba" rotors that will necessitate 15 inch rims.
Which I put on a Charger just because.
Last I checked Doctor Diff may not even have those in stock at the moment.
It's all according to what you want to do with a car and the world situation.
Me?
Drive, drive, drive.
Being able to get groceries in the trunk is important.
(So I sold an E body 25 years ago for that reason.)
Going from Washington to So Cal?
Seems like I recall a place in Oregon with some kind of MOPAR second gen Charger expert there .
You could make a pit stop to get the car evaluated first hand on the way home.:mob:

Yep. 14 inch rims.
See, that's the thing about converting to disk.
Bigger is better.
There are even larger "Cordoba" rotors that will necessitate 15 inch rims.
Which I put on a Charger just because.
Last I checked Doctor Diff may not even have those in stock at the moment.
It's all according to what you want to do with a car and the world situation.
Me?
Drive, drive, drive.
Being able to get groceries in the trunk is important.
(So I sold an E body 25 years ago for that reason.)
Going from Washington to So Cal?
Seems like I recall a place in Oregon with some kind of MOPAR second gen Charger expert there .
You could make a pit stop to get the car evaluated first hand on the way home.:mob:

Good suggestions, I plan on driving it sparingly to local shows etc. I've had plenty of cars with Drums all around and other than infrequent adjustments, it's not too bad. I just make sure to leave decent distance between myself and the car in front (which should be practiced regardless of brake setup).

Last edited:
Good suggestions, I plan on driving it sparingly to local shows etc. I've had plenty of cars with Drums all around and other than infrequent adjustments, it's not too bad. I just make sure to leave decent distance between myself and the car in front (which should be practiced regardless of brake setup).
One of the things that you have to keep in mind when driving these cars is that they don't stop like modern cars at all,even when equipped with disc brakes. I found out the hard way that you need to leave more distance between yourself and other cars.I was driving 35 miles per hour in my 70 Charger convertible and a minivan in front of me stopped abruptly, they had passed the house they were going to and instead of continuing on and turning around to go back they just slammed on the brakes! I slammed on my brakes which were disc in front and 11 inch drums in the rear and I hit them anyway as the car went into a skid,no ABS brakes. The left front corner took the hit.. A fender,bumper and grille later it was back on the road! Luckily I had enough of the paint leftover to paint it with no problems matching the color. Another thing to remember when pulling out in front of an oncoming vehicle is that these cars have absolutely zero side impact protection so take your time pulling out into traffic even if the person behind doesn't like it much.

Auto Transport Service
Back