• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poisonous Spiders in the US that’ll mess you up!

70ChargerRT

Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
I’m usually not afraid of Snakes or Spiders. We have Timber Rattlers and Copperheads around but you’ll rarely see them but man I’ve had my run in with a few Brown Recluses and a Black Widow and man those things gives me the creeps. Probably because they are so unexpected when I see them. I always watch my hand and foot placement especially when I’m wearing crocs lol. I didn’t get no pics of the black widow but a few years ago I was helping my dad work on my brothers waterline. I went to shut the water off and started to stick my hand in to the water meter base when I noticed a Black Widow laying beautifully in its web. Man what a weird feeling but it gets even better. One morning I woke up in my camper staring at a brown recluse on a weekend getaway trip. That one sent cold chills all through my body. The first picture I posted is it lol. Well just yesterday while I was in the garage getting ready to set down in my chair, my brother was helping me work on my car. He so calmly said, “you may want to kill that brown recluse by your foot before you start wet sanding that trim” I about freaked out! Here’s the picture of it with the noticeable violin neck on its abdomen and it was a big un. Just the way those brown recluses rot a big ol hole in you is nasty. One bit my nephew when he was younger and you’d almost puke by just looking at the rotted hole it left. Brown recluses are no where near as aggressive or as poisonous as a black widow but either way I wouldn’t want to get bit by either. I posted a very last pic of a black widow.

434A90A0-B221-47E6-857B-7B754E9C90A1.jpeg

FFAC4666-0D6F-49CB-812B-1EECC5BCDF92.jpeg

9819BDF9-8E0A-4400-BA95-F011EBF4905D.jpeg

38A5D7F0-65E1-4283-91EA-93E29F49AB6B.jpeg

7C66A267-ECD1-4CF4-A1E2-CAAEDDEF6556.jpeg

Last edited:
We lived in Wichita, Kansas for 20 years. We built a new house there. Every once in a while I would see a Brown Recluse. We would call the exterminators and they would spray around trying to kill them all. When we packed up to move to Colorado I got in the attic to retrieve all the cardboard boxes up there. I had the boxes taped up but there were some places where the packing tape wasn't stuck down and the sticky side was up. The tape was FULL of dead Brown Recluse Spiders. Thankfully we don't have insects or spiders here at 7500 above sea level.

Edit: I forgot, once a year we have an outbreak of little brown moths. Miller Moths. The swifts go crazy catching them at intersections with stoplights. The moths get under the hood of cars for warmth but when cars stop at a stoplight it must get too hot so the moths escape. The swifts have figured this out and are constantly swooping around intersections.

Last edited:
We have those everywhere down here in our part of Texas, not a week goes by that I don't exterminate one, all other spiders get a free pass.

We have those everywhere down here in our part of Texas, not a week goes by that I don't exterminate one, all other spiders get a free pass.
Yeah I agree! Early this morning I let a Big Wolf Spider go that was about the same size or a tad bigger than that Brown Recluse.

2E6F672A-5D92-49B0-99A1-6770EF441B93.jpeg

Chlordane. Otherwise, flame throwers.

My BIL and I bought a Dakota parts truck once and after we got it hooked up to drag out of the scrub, we opened the hood and there were about 100 black widows.

Instant shivers.

Damn recluse got me on the chest once when I was pulling some stuff off a garage shelf. Went right down my shirt and nailed me...gave me a nice big welt that was sore as heck for a few days.
The best way we've found to kill widders is to hunt them at night with a flashlight and can of spray poison. They're all out on their webs, not suspecting a thing...and then Wham!

When I got my latest 68 RR RM23
it had an infestation of Black Widows,
from being outside under a pine tree,
out in McClellan AFB in the Sacramento area, for a couple months
Then when it was down in my garage in Rancho Murieta
all inside the frame every lil' hiding spot
I'd go out to the garage after cleaning out mostly
& find a big thick web on the insides of my wheels
or a big web between the car & the bench next to it
I walked thru a few, gives me the Ibby Jibbies

I had pressure washed out as much as I could
twice with killer caustics/soaps
& every lil' hole in everywhere I could get the nozzle into
then blowing it out with air & the blower setting on the vacuum
scurring all over the place, doing the 2 step stomp...

For the 1st few months, everytime I went out to my garage
I'd find a big Black Widow to kill,
sometimes several of them, you get close,
they're standing up in a defensive posture,
'like ready to strike'
some in their webs, some crawling across the floor
some in the car in some really dark places
or in stuff stored for some time to come,
I'd find the dead carcasses...

Now the car is 125+ miles away from that spot
to this day I still think about it, when I get under the car
haven't seen any 'Widows' really of late, we do have them here,
along with Browns & a lot of the Wolfs
as much as I don't like them
If they aren't the bad ones & as long as not in my garage or house
I'll let them be

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a lot of western diamondback rattlers up here, my other place
family cabin I used to have upcountry at 9,000ft
has some huge timber rattlers anywhere near the rocks it seemed
I'm more concerned about them moving rocks sticks or stuff laying around,
they get under that stuff when it's really hot for relief
my last dog Lord Budnicks (RIP Buddy)
got bit in the lip by a lil baby one, just swelled up nothing really bad
had to stay in the vets overnight, they said he was fine
& a lil' swollen still in the am

When I was in Rancho Murieta on the golf courses if you went
out in the long grass, especially if it was really dry/hot,
pulled the pin on the 10th hole south,
pulled out a lil' bugger wrapped around the flag pole in the hole
there was a lot of diamond back there too
the rocks creeks & Consumnes River had a crapload
I got used to them, strangely enough,
I'm more spooked by/scared of lil' spiders, especially the bad ones :poke:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got bitten by spiders a couple times, while I slept in my bed as a kid,
like 8-10 y/o, one on my lip & one on my eyelid, really swelled up bad
not sure exactly what kind of spiders, had bitten me
(my older sister Candy got bit on her lip years later too)
The house was fumigated a couple of times, my parents freaked out a lil'
I was told, by the Dr. & an exterminator, who was really cool to a lil' kid
explaining stuff about good spiders vs bad ones...
That it was likely a Wolf Spider...
That's when I lived on Cobblestone Ct. in Concord Ca, late 1960's
I think I was given an antihistamine/hydrochloride (?) for the bites
whatever it was it worked the swelling went down within a day

I have never liked spiders

I was in Arizona & a funnel web spider made a nest in my Motor home
where you do the water & cable tv hookups, shocked the **** out of me...
I felt it before, I seen it...

wanna make a 6'2" 250# man freak, put a lil' spider on his hand/arm etc.

Last edited:
all i have to do is pull a wheel off a car or truck to find black widow colonies in abundance . i've been charging out flat rubber on my fleet for their move and i've seen some big giant black widows , didn't think that spider could get that size . how long do they live ? i'm not sure . i did have a flat bottom v drive boat called ' the widow maker ' but it an't mak'n widows anymore , i pulled the 392 out and gave the hull n trailer to a friend . and he shank it .

We have Mosquitoes in WI

They buzz in my ears when I work on the car

Enough said

Got bitten by a brown recluse back in 1990, It was under the hood of a car that got towed in.... First Dr I saw said it was a black widow and if I wasn't any sicker than I was I'd be fine.... I knew it wasn't a widow, we get them around here all the time, widow web is very sticky... The web on the car wasn't super sticky so I didn't get worried about it.... We rarely see a brown recluse... Well by the next day my arm looked like I'd been eating spinach... Extremely painful, severe stomach problems.. Went to the ER & while waiting it the waiting room the Dr walked by, saw my arm & grabbed me immediately, he'd just moved out here from South Carolina where apparently the recluse are pretty common... He initially asked a couple questions then took me to the back & started scrubbing, no anesthetic went straight to cutting... Cut a lot of stinky green rotting flesh out of my arm, about the size of a golf ball, almost as deep as it was around.... Months of treatment, still have a scar... Not a fan of spiders... For years after that I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking I'd felt something crawling on me and rip the bed apart...

My last week in Basic, out in the field, something got me right on my right knee. Didn’t know it till we got back to the barracks, small red welt on the left side of my knee.

PT comes early, got dressed and was in formation and DS walks by and asks me what the bell is wrong with my knee. He thought I twisted it the day prior. And when 1 DS is talking to ya, the others join in!! They had me sit down and called for our SDI (senior drill instructor) and he’s looking, pushing on my knee to see if I in fact did something to it (looking to see if I’d scream cause it looked like it was a mushball instead of my knee). He found the welt, summarized that I was bit by something, a brown recluse (Ft. Benning is where my basic was) and wanted me to go to the hospital, get it looked at. He said I’d be recycled, have to do the last 4 weeks again. I told him, without any care to how much I’d be pushing, **** you in the head, I’ll keep going. To my surprise, that was the first time I’d seen any DS actually be human and laugh! The swelling went down the day before graduation and DS Berguin (SDI), after graduation, asked why I didn’t want get checked out at the hospital, told him I couldn’t stand to his smiling face anymore than absolutely necessary. Could thing he had a sense of humor!!!

Pop taught me early in life that out here in Gods' country, you always mind where you put your feet and hands...
Over the years, my gig routinely brings me into places where the black widows roam (they love valve boxes out
in yards and fields - it's like condos for them); recluses will get you in the garage if you're not careful.
You learn to recognize their webs (widows are sloppy web slingers).
A recluse will actually display aggression if threatened; widows are sneaky bastards.

I've been bit by both over the years, messing with stuff in dark warehouses and hotboxes and such.
I'm the type that doesn't have much use for any spider period - I'm not going to spend much time studying one
to try to determine its' linneage.
Fluck 'em all - if they're in my way, they die.

Snakes? A black snake gets a pass from me as long as he isn't being intrusive.
All others die - and yes, copperheads are a concern out here. Had one chase me on the tractor one year;
he was introduced to the finish mower and became pasture fertilizer in a slap hurry.

Pop taught me early in life that out here in Gods' country, you always mind where you put your feet and hands...
Over the years, my gig routinely brings me into places where the black widows roam (they love valve boxes out
in yards and fields - it's like condos for them); recluses will get you in the garage if you're not careful.
You learn to recognize their webs (widows are sloppy web slingers).
A recluse will actually display aggression if threatened; widows are sneaky bastards.

I've been bit by both over the years, messing with stuff in dark warehouses and hotboxes and such.
I'm the type that doesn't have much use for any spider period - I'm not going to spend much time studying one
to try to determine its' linneage.
Fluck 'em all - if they're in my way, they die.

Snakes? A black snake gets a pass from me as long as he isn't being intrusive.
All others die - and yes, copperheads are a concern out here. Had one chase me on the tractor one year;
he was introduced to the finish mower and became pasture fertilizer in a slap hurry.
Out here in Eastern, Ky the biggest Timber Rattler I’ve ever seen with my own eyes and killed was 60” long. IDK why but it only had 3 rattlers but it was one hell of a snake, it had to been at least 6” around. I killed it back in 2007 and I didn’t even have a phone then. You rarely see them but they are definitely here. You see more copperheads than anything but I’ve seen a few huge rat snakes around and I just leave them be because they’ll kill copperheads. My dad had a boy weed-eating for him at the house. He ran out of string and decided to take a break. He put the weed eater down and laid on his back and soon as he did a copper head tagged him on the shoulder. Them little bastards are mean and will strike quick. Dad took him to the ER and they happened to have a Dr on duty experienced in snake bites. The guy that got bit his shoulder didn’t hardly even swell and the Dr said it must have been an older snake that didn’t inject much venom if any at all. He called it a dry bite. I did kill that Recluse in my garage.

come to Australia we have them all!
file-20200921-20-1gxqvnu.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.jpg
2807&cropW=4991&xPos=0&yPos=0&width=862&height=485.jpg

Sydney funnel web

spider%20bite.jpg

redback
white-tail-spider.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

White tails have developed a bit of a reputation as the spider that causes flesh to rot.

Out here in Eastern, Ky the biggest Timber Rattler I’ve ever seen with my own eyes and killed was 60” long. IDK why but it only had 3 rattlers but it was one hell of a snake, it had to been at least 6” around. I killed it back in 2007 and I didn’t even have a phone then. You rarely see them but they are definitely here. You see more copperheads than anything but I’ve seen a few huge rat snakes around and I just leave them be because they’ll kill copperheads. My dad had a boy weed-eating for him at the house. He ran out of string and decided to take a break. He put the weed eater down and laid on his back and soon as he did a copper head tagged him on the shoulder. Them little bastards are mean and will strike quick. Dad took him to the ER and they happened to have a Dr on duty experienced in snake bites. The guy that got bit his shoulder didn’t hardly even swell and the Dr said it must have been an older snake that didn’t inject much venom if any at all. He called it a dry bite. I did kill that Recluse in my garage.
Yep, same thing with black snakes. If you have those around, it means no copperheads; they don't like one another.

Auto Transport Service
Back