• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

poly 318 four barrel

pjrenu

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
I just got this car and under the hood is for the most part an original 318 wide block with a factory cast Iron four barrel Manifold. What can anyone tell me about this. Also it may be worth mentioning but all previous wide blocks i have owned were Chrysler red this one is orange and where paint is cracked or pealed there is only orange. If I were to rebuild it is that the correct color its the same orange as some big block Mopars. Does anyone have a place to find parts numbers and HP rating Thanks PJ

I'm part of a forum specifically for the poly's I have a poly 318 in my 66 D100 pickup,oddly enough I dont know the name of the site being that I'm not really active on it at the moment,you can type "mopar poly forums" on google and the name of the guy is Gary Pavlovich he has all the info on pretty much anything poly related,they're really good engines as far as I know I'll IM you if I find the web adress.

My Father-in-law had a 66 Satellite with a poly. We had even bought a dual quad intake for it (from 55-56 I believe), but ended up selling the whole thing as part of buying the 69 Super Bee we have now. One thing about rebuilding the Poly is that there is not much of an aftermarket for them, so hopefully you'll be able to reuse a lot of what is on there now.

All Chrysler small block V-8's were silver until the corporate switch-over to red in 1962.
Poly-head 318 engines were available with the 4 barrel power pack until 1962.

Hey Richard ,i like my poly,they are a very good engine,

Being punched .040 over, with 2.02/ 1.60 valves, new cam, `62 factory 4bbl manifold, Edelbrock 650 AVS, TTi headers and 2 1/2 exhaust, my `66 actually makes pretty good power...for a boat anchor.

Cost to rebuild (with parts) was comparable to rebuilding an LA motor... only I didn't have to buy a core (an LA motor) to rebuild. Due to the unfamiliarity of the breed, I get a lot of, "What motor is that?...Why is the distributor in the back?...What's a 'Poly'?"

Once broke in (only 250 miles on it so far) and a gear change to 3.55s, I plan to take her MIR (MD International Raceway) just to see what she can officially do. Any predictions?

have a 66 w/318 poly bone stock and i must say it is a pretty good engine,thinking of going w/ a 408 stroker.

You can always stroke it to a 390..just like an LA 318!!

The poly 318 makes about 40 more foot pounds of torque than the LA does in stock form....

Hey Richard ,i like my poly,they are a very good engine,

Years ago, I plucked one out of my '64 with my forklift & deposited it into the dumpster, right where it belonged. Sure did make the (front loading) garbage truck rock when it fell into it. :lol:

My 80,000 mile bone stock and carefully tuned poly 2 barrel in my first Mopar- 66 Coronet put down MANY GM 350 motors back in the 1980s. Most of those 350s had been rebuilt and had 4 barrels, and some were in lighter cars.

YOU know it's a 318, but the chevy guy you just beat thinks it's a big block!
(Look how WIDE it is!) (It says 440- right there on your fender!)

Years ago, I plucked one out of my '64 with my forklift & deposited it into the dumpster, right where it belonged. Sure did make the (front loading) garbage truck rock when it fell into it. :lol:

Unfortunately we're not all as 'Rich' as you, Rich...

My '64 330 with a stock 2bbl 100K+ miles Poly went 130 mph on the freeway - no slouch. There is some guy who specializes in performance Poly's and he gets 500+ HP out of 'em, keep in mind - nobody makes aftermarket heads for 'em! - google it and see for yourself. If I had the money I'd build a tricked out POLY for the Engine Masters Competition and blow some minds...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 976
Oh yeah, if you want to sell the intake let me know, I call dibs....lol

It's POLY time......

My first Mopar was a 62 Fury with a 318 poly bought in 64, I've been a big fan of the poly since then.

I've owned several big blocks, 383's, 440's, 6bbl's, and Hemi's. Loved them too....

But now I'm back in a 318 poly... pulling down 17-20 MPG on regular pump gas, and having more fun then ever....

Attachments

• right front (Large).jpg
    right front (Large).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 969
  • engine detail (Large).jpg
    engine detail (Large).jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,529
Auto Transport Service
Back