• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR 15 fail (help)

Works on - rusty metal, not too sanded or blasted off either as it won't stay adhered. Prefer to obtain clean metal before I cover it up..

3M paint buster hand cleaner!
1687378410106.jpeg

After reading some posts, he found one that talked about a pumice stone. He eventually came up with a system: rub dish soap over affected areas to create a lather with hot water (in the shower). Next, scrub the affected areas with pumice stone (can be purchased in nail and foot care section of drugstore). It seemed that a combination of the hot water, dish soap and heavy scrubbing with the pumice stone did the trick. We were able to remove about 95% of the POR15 using this method.

The remaining marks are on his fingernails which we are going to try to remove with nail polish remover. If you are in this position, good luck to you! Don’t give up. Just keep scrubbing. On a positive note, his skin is softer and smoother than it’s ever been
See less

So..... Today I am applying POR 15 to the metal components underneath my trailer. I exercised caution, gloves and eye protection with an outdoor application. All was going well until, I dropped the quart of POR 15 directly on top of myself. I was in an area without soap or water handy, and now I have POR 15 all down my arms and some on my legs. (was wearing shorts). By the time I got home, the stuff had dried. I've tried fingernail polish and NAPTHA so far with zip for results. Anyone have any experience in removing this stuff from the skin? I could use some help.
:xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless::xscuseless:

Pays to read the instructions and the precautions.
Q&A Is it dangerous to get on my hands. No, but if you do, remove it at once with solvent or lacquer thinner. If POR-15 dries on your skin, nothing will take it off, and you will 'wear' it for 3 or 4 days until natural oils and flaking skin remove it.
I did read the instructions; the quart container slipped from my hand and fell on me as I was maneuvering under the trailer. I guess I should have been prepared for an accidental water balloon type exposure tho.

Sorry Kiwi, no photos coming. I'd prefer to live the rest of my days without photos immortalizing this nightmare. LOL
I was correct, wife is super pissed about the event. Geezus when it rains it pours. :BangHead:

WD-40 is local and may work as another member said. You’re kinda like a guinea pig now so start the process and we will be waiting on your responses.

Last edited:
Worst of the worst Sh-----t happens. We are men so what do you expect just ware it off. I have used paint thinner to take it off my hands and arms paint that is. Not sure about the pro. Have heard bad thing on it in the past that it just did not stick to metal. One of my buddy's said he was cleaning up the floor pan in the car after applying it a few days latter and the stuff just started to come up. So he took it all off and redid it with epoxy paint and no more problems.

Por 15 is moisture cured urethane attracted to skin moisture best remover is dilute dawn dish. Please don’t use any solvents like Ed 40 bad for your liver
And kidneys. Been a pro painter 35 years, wish I had been more careful with such stuff. Not to mention asbestos.

Worst of the worst Sh-----t happens. We are men so what do you expect just ware it off. I have used paint thinner to take it off my hands and arms paint that is. Not sure about the pro. Have heard bad thing on it in the past that it just did not stick to metal. One of my buddy's said he was cleaning up the floor pan in the car after applying it a few days latter and the stuff just started to come up. So he took it all off and redid it with epoxy paint and no more problems.
I gotta say, as pissed as I am about this incident, mostly at myself. I have actually had positive results from it in the past. I am a snowmobiler and as such my trailer sees its share of salted roads. Once applied, seems to keep everything looking and functioning fine.

Just don't get the **** on ya!! LOL

:luvplace: I can not add a thing that has not been covered. I will say this is in the running for thread of the year honors .

Auto Transport Service
Back