• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project long haul...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the plated trunk floor!!!! Looks like they replaced the rear frame rails with box tubing as well which isn't necessarily a bad things as long as they did it right. I remember building my first car in a 15' X 30' garage so I know what your talking about but everything has it's rewards. My dad and I built a 32' X 60' garage which is great but you sure as hell can't go out there in the middle of the winter and expect to be warm in any less then an hour or two so next time your sitting in there all toasty warm just think "suckers". Thought I'd mention all we used in our smaller building was a little pot belly stove which could run you out in a hurry.

Last edited:
"Take what you have and make what you need" man Ron that describes my life . I like the little garage. Beats my car port which I just use to keep the snow off. I work outside really ghetto style.

holy carp! how did I miss this thread!?!?

Congrats on startin the rebuild, Ron! makes me happy to see it! :hello2:

Thanks guys, yep i wasn't kidding with this "repair" work i told you about Devin this stuff is thicker then frame rails :), amazing what can be done, i have done the same crap at one time or another im sure, but this mess i would like to think i wouldn't do it, Must have worked i guess is the only thing i can say...
It's been tore out, grinded out, and burnt out, some kind of grey glue that when it catches fire will kill ya if you breath it in i found out lol... But GONE now!
There is so much going on right now i cant seem to find time or alone to myself to get anything done, my one son in law brought a load of slab wood (cut up though) out of the pretty blue sky's we had today and my buddy that delivers the big stuff got ahold of me when i was talking to the guy putting up vinyl siding on the garage (all done now) that he wasent supposed to do today and he is showing up at 630 in the AM (best time for him) so its been more then a little crazy today!
Honestly, Im glad the day is about done! Gabby girl doesn't have school tomorrow so her and i are spending the day together, don't mind that a bit and she's actually excited about it, afraid of what she may have in mind!, Supposed to start raining i guess so things will calm down,, i had to go up on the roof and tar around my bath room see thru vent thing what ever its called before it rained so that's another part of today's adventure i forgot until i mentioned the rain coming... Im tired :)
Car work? I got the 73 out of the drive way for the AM wood delivery!
Were about caught up getting ready for winter and the way the weather reads i think a good thing, i know my little garage is ok now, and i have a few other things to go but not to much longer ill be able to say to winter, "bring it on!" lol
I hope to get at things soon but right now i have no choice with getting ready for the winter months as much as i hate to see it come, prayerfully hoping i can buy a few parts for my 73 for spring and im sure i have enough after i get welding gas for the welder as far as the 69 is concerned... My computer is ready to pick up and hope to have it back again, this laptop and i just don't get along well... im getting there with things, just slow... sorry i cant post more then work outside of my car....
The wife seems happy with stuff so ill take that! That and some sleep before my wood gets here in the AM... It really seems like a LONG day for Sunday!!!

Thanks guys, yep i wasn't kidding with this "repair" work i told you about Devin this stuff is thicker then frame rails :), amazing what can be done, i have done the same crap at one time or another im sure, but this mess i would like to think i wouldn't do it, Must have worked i guess is the only thing i can say...
It's been tore out, grinded out, and burnt out, some kind of grey glue that when it catches fire will kill ya if you breath it in i found out lol... But GONE now!
There is so much going on right now i cant seem to find time or alone to myself to get anything done, my one son in law brought a load of slab wood (cut up though) out of the pretty blue sky's we had today and my buddy that delivers the big stuff got ahold of me when i was talking to the guy putting up vinyl siding on the garage (all done now) that he wasent supposed to do today and he is showing up at 630 in the AM (best time for him) so its been more then a little crazy today!
Honestly, Im glad the day is about done! Gabby girl doesn't have school tomorrow so her and i are spending the day together, don't mind that a bit and she's actually excited about it, afraid of what she may have in mind!, Supposed to start raining i guess so things will calm down,, i had to go up on the roof and tar around my bath room see thru vent thing what ever its called before it rained so that's another part of today's adventure i forgot until i mentioned the rain coming... Im tired :)
Car work? I got the 73 out of the drive way for the AM wood delivery!
Were about caught up getting ready for winter and the way the weather reads i think a good thing, i know my little garage is ok now, and i have a few other things to go but not to much longer ill be able to say to winter, "bring it on!" lol
I hope to get at things soon but right now i have no choice with getting ready for the winter months as much as i hate to see it come, prayerfully hoping i can buy a few parts for my 73 for spring and im sure i have enough after i get welding gas for the welder as far as the 69 is concerned... My computer is ready to pick up and hope to have it back again, this laptop and i just don't get along well... im getting there with things, just slow... sorry i cant post more then work outside of my car....
The wife seems happy with stuff so ill take that! That and some sleep before my wood gets here in the AM... It really seems like a LONG day for Sunday!!!

holy mackerel, Ron! and I thought I had a whirlwind weekend. :icon_eyes: lol

Glad you're getting to spend time with Gabby girl tomorrow.

the RR will be waiting for you whenever you're ready.

:poke:Ron, you still needing a radiator for your 73? Still waiting for that other list. LOL.

Thanks Mar, it has been a crazy one hear!!! Roger you scare me buddy!!! ill need to reevaluate, whatever that means to make a list, especially for YOU! your down right dangerous to tell you "i need" rotfl... you and Vicky have helped and supported Sue and i so much, im afraid to tell you i need anything lol!! getting even is fun, and ill get even one day buddy, i will!!!! i do need to get in those sheets that are calling me tonight so ill say hope ya-all have a good one, i really am spent tonight guys!!!

Nice project!..Looking at this car reminds me of mine. I dont know what goes through some people heads when "modifying" cars .

Hey guys i may get in some trouble here but i have to say a special thanks to a guy here, the ROADRUNNERMAN, alias Roger! I truly thank him and his fantastic better 1/2 i like to say, for everything they have done, The both of them has been with My wife Sue and i thru the misery we've gone thru in the last two years, Vicky is one sweet lady who has gone thru the same and yet trys her best to help others, Its something even more special then our Mopars, and he has sent and sold me parts for next to nothing if not for anything but shipping costs, some i have to argue that part! He has a center link im getting and possibly IF it works out a set of bucket seats i need, I warned him i was going to make sure everyone here knew this kindness and i cant see him getting mad but im sorry Roger, i wouldn't be able to handle things if i didn't do this, ive dealt with a lot of really good guys on here and ive never had a problem, i think this is something i had to do!
Lots of you have helped us with offers, with things said, one guy who lost his wife told me i could PM him anytime i wanted to talk, i couldn't do that because it would bring up painful memory's with him and i just wouldn't, Its been and to a big degree still is painful every day but were getting thru and just as soon not talk about it so getting back to our cars, this place really is the best site there is for information, help and support, and as much as i want to thank Roger i really want to thank you all, Will (Propwash) has been a big part also, there is so many of you, Devin, John, Brad, djaias, Joel, Matt, Alex, Bart, Mark and so many Kevins lol, its unreal! :) But thank you guys, you all are a big part of my life, it is great to work and have the cars and everything else but its great to get on here and talk and here all of you to! I know i say it a lot but its the truth when i say i have to get out because i get Gabby girl up for school, and tonight's no different, i have to hit the sheets and its been one of those days i guess.... again. :) Until the next time if no-one shoots me or anything! LOL... And i REALLY hope i didn't miss anyone and that would be easy as many real friends ive met in here!

Looking forward to seeing your progress Ron. These things take a damn site longer than we ever expect, but in the end, it keeps us out of jail for a few years. Well, okay, me anyway.

Good luck buddy. :cool:

Thanks guys, Appreciate the thoughts, i know you all are there and in the progress yourself so im not alone in this adventure, honestly the hardest thing is knowing what im doing and knowing that with the blink of an eye it was yesterday and her and i were driving around and having all that fun and not even knowing what we had! I know im not alone with this "they were just cars" but, lol it don't make it feel any better, i paid 800 bucks for a 69 RR way back then with a 383, 4-speed bench seat post car and drove it to death, fastest one i ever had, not quite 20,000 miles on it and sold it for the same price to what is now a neighboring place a couple roads over (i think each time i go by, 69 in there!) and now i cant buy the hood for one for that lol, strange to me and my wife says all the time im not good at growing old, she's right, makes me sick guys... seems like yesterday bit me in the behind and i lost time without loosing time... doesn't make sense, but that is what if feels like, an antique car back then was mid to late 40's to 57 Chevy was an antique and all of a sudden, i had three antiques here, 82 camaro, 80 3/4 ton truck and my 73, when i admitted this to my wife she said "and Ron"!
She's only three years younger though, mention that and see how she likes talking about those "good ole days Ron wont give up" LOL!!!
Oh well, i, and bunch of us here are bringing some of the good days back, some learning what it feels like to drive one and young to boot! It don't get better then that for any of us :) Thanks again and i hope i can get at it and post up something that will help or at the least, make you laugh! :)

Hey guys, i have my computer back, im behind with a lot and not to keen keeping up with new 'windows" programs and stuff so i decided to get everyone up to date and inbettwen my work ill post things ive already done... I think that will work anyway! BUT, First picture is my garage, yep, the whole thing getting new wood panels and then vinyl siding, My biggest problem here is i have NO pictures of the thing done, ill get them just for updates, besides it looks really good!!! The thing is, i just put the camera on here to download and these pictures i took in the middle of getting my PC fixed so im just behind in things and never thought to check if i had before and after.. im slow like i said.... anyway you can see the yellow fender, completely junk and my 4-speed on what i call my buffing bench.. I told you all many a times, im not fancy or exact-ah-moon-go the second one i, inside looking out and a mess everywhere this siding project helped with.. Thats Robert, my son in laws brother who is did this for us...

003_zps79ac4f13.jpg

005_zpscec551f5.jpg

The next ones are the spring shackles to rails an and crossmember, I drilled 5/16 holes for plug welds and then touched up a little on the sides, Then i used Eastwoods "metal to metal" and pasted it on and then used that Eastwoods encapsulator over it, the pictures don't look as good as seeing them, the way i did it makes a good look i think... pictures are some when welded, some after grinding and then done, until i get caught up ill just post and hope :) In the order it/they should be and ill get the pictures leading up to this point... and im aware big time my welding isint PRO welding but!... Im not a pro! :)

017_zps1748809b.jpg

018_zpsc05e770f.jpg

019_zps1795f6b6.jpg

020_zps610d6843.jpg

I should say that i do check and make sure my welds are penetrating the metal ok, and im happy with them, sloppy i guess, but satisfied... and this one picture is some of the stuff im using, a mis commutation with my listening skills and i ordered the wrong stuff with the Por-15, it was Rust bullet i think now but i cant allow myself to have this stuff sit and order another 200 bucks of other so i will be using it on the underneath, the inside (rails, rocker's) and some of the outside parts will be Eastwood, and its "supposed" to be great stuff....

023_zps42127df2.jpg

026_zps401e2bda.jpg

The last i have right now is some of the tail panel alignment starting, hope to get more pictures and more work soon.. I still need to go thru folders for other pictures...
The tools in my trunk pan, checking things :) are Roberts doing siding.. One thing i don't know if i mentioned but the leaf springs and differential have been media blasted, rust converter and primed, I have no room to put things so with winter coming on my son in law helped me get them under the car and hooked up, i was about jumping up and down lol to find everything fitted right, so far, I got used but original shackles from Mark here and new Moog bushings for the perches and springs and everything fit like a glove, the down side is under the car, sanding, primer and final paint will be harder, oh well, it cant all be easy!!!

024_zpsd9b3bdea.jpg

027_zps4b550bb5.jpg

If anyone is wondering about the supports on the side of quarters, I didn't want them moving after the tail panel was removed, Wow, i didn't realize how much it took to keep a thread updated! lol....

Lookin' good. Pro looking welds are for the pro's! As long as it penetrates good and you're confident with it, that's all that matters. I just did some undercoating on my Coronet today so I can get the diff back under it too. I wanted to do that before I put it in and I really want to be able to move it again. (But now I have to learn how to put a diff together!)
As for your side supports.....yup I was wondering!
I've been away from mine so long I'm beginning to worry if I'll get back to it. Oh well, I can get my fix from your build and others until the cold hits and then I will get back at it.

Thanks guys, Im working on the tail panel now and i see the original has a little different build to it then the AMD, not much and i have some ideas that may work but wanted to show you... A small down slope in the area.. Don't think it will be a problem at all... It has been a sunshiny day and the wife and i are or did work on buttoning up the old place for winter, good thing is were about ready which is making us both happy!!!

100_3230_zps9c0de122.jpg

100_3232_zpsc416014e.jpg

100_3231_zpsb75c5f36.jpg

Good work Ron keep it up, also don't worry about the welds, the more you weld the prettier they'll look. You got the penetration and that's what counts.

Hey Ron, glad you put those pictures up. Now I have something to use for a reference for mine. Like everyone else said, as long as the welds are solid, who cares if they aren't pretty.

Auto Transport Service
Back