• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R u from a sundown town ?

Maybe i misunderstood. You're right though, in that the song and this subject are 2 different topics.
Now that i think about the lyrics though, maybe i'm wrong about that too. Lol. Better take care, if i find you've been creepin around my back stairs- sounds like a warning imo.

Maybe i misunderstood. You're right though, in that the song and this subject are 2 different topics.
There are a few coincidental items:
"Sundown, you better take care if I find you've been creeping 'round my backstairs."

The law may be rascist in its whole, but it was meant to prevent prowlers.

There are a few coincidental items:
"Sundown, you better take care if I find you've been creeping 'round my backstairs."

The law may be rascist in its whole, but it was meant to prevent prowlers.
Prowlers ? I got the impression it meant, he was warning blacks to stay away from his girlfriend.

Prowlers ?

Nah, the song was written decades before the Prowler was ever even thought of.

1P3EW65G0XV504784-1c.jpg

Prowlers ? I got the impression it meant, he was warning blacks to stay away from his girlfriend.
Growlers pertains to the Sundown Laws

The song, my interpretation anyway. Gordon Lightfoot is getting warned to stay away from some other schlubs girlfriend.

You guys must be smokin' something. The song is about his cheating woman going out the back way to screw around on him. It's coincidental that he used a name for the woman that was used in certain parts of the country.

The only sundown towns I know of are Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Ferguson, Atlanta...
Yeah, if you are White, stay out after sundown.
St. Peter's, MO (just west of STL) had a sign at the city limits. "N (it was spelled out) dont lest the sun set on your ***".
It was taken down when the bank moved from the other end of Main to where the sign was.

Snakeyes has posted multiple links of relative content throughout this thread.
Ahhhh, yeaaaaa, I did read all the posts.
He he he he....

I don’t know how you took it or see it. I was pretty point blank about not knowing about this subject.
Though afterwards, I remembered an old friend of mine told me of such a sign in Macon Ga. where he lives many many years ago.

Now that i think about the lyrics though, maybe i'm wrong about that too. Lol. Better take care, if i find you've been creepin around my back stairs- sounds like a warning imo.

To me, that is a warning for anybody period.

Oh hell, take away “A warning for blacks” and install “ANYBODY!” LMAO!

In my world, there’s 3 women worth killing for.
Mom
Daughter
Wife

Your kin?
I’ll mame (sp?) the offending bastard for you so you can have the pleasure yourself. What ever that may be or however long it lasts.... free of charge.
:thumbsup:

Oh! I forgot to add, I was surprised that the town I grew up in was on the list which was a huge surprise. There are VERY few blacks living in town. Though it should be noted that Long Island is IMO they single most segregated area I have ever seen period.

This is due to a few factors. 1 such factor is the Real estate agencies guide people into the lake area of their racial look and background. This has been a known practice for a long time. As most people want to be around someone that looks like themselves and that is OK.

There was a sad incident in my old town when a black man purchase a brand new house (big bucks!) and his house was defaced rudely & racially. It made the papers.

He sold firm on moving in. And I’m happy to say, he reported back a huge warm welcome from all around with his neighbors offering there warmest welcomes and apology for what they truly think were just idiotic kids behaving poorly.

I was proud of my old towns people for doing what they did when he finally got in.

Minus they very few black families in town, the town is mostly white but with a note able presence of other ethnic groups. Not a plentiful amount. It is easy to see the racial make up at schools release.

It’s just how it is.

Unfortunately, not everyone is the old black gentleman. If it was so, trillions in depreciation would not have happened, and hundreds of cities would look like they did in 1950. Read the true but sad story of Selma, then vs now. There was a great video on youtube that has since disappeared. But basically Selma is far worse than 50 years ago. Who is responsible? Surely not sundown laws.

I'm a proud racist. As a scientist I can't see how any thinking person does NOT notice difference between races. You would have to have your head buried in the sand not to. Do I think my race is superior in all things? No. But it's pretty damn good at a lot of them. Norwegian BTW.

You know once the thumb sucking generation hears about these towns there libel to have them removed from the map as its racist ! Just like civil war monuments!

Auto Transport Service
Back