• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

radio

steve from staten island

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Anyone deal with Vintage Auto radio? Talked to him today and he seems like a ok guy. Im thinking of buying a reproduction radio from him. He advised me not to convert my AM eight track unit i now have which has been reconditioned some years ago and still in the box. The new units are nice but not cheap

Why not convert it ? I vote to keep the factory radio and make it useful. I got a guy for ya too ! He just did a B-body 8 track and put the usb/aux Jack's behind the 8 track door, very slick. I had my 1yr only 70 340 swinger radio converted, absolutely no regrets.

Steve there was a thread about this a few weeks ago, not sure which forum it was in. And IIRC The basic answer was "yes" these radios are good. $500+ good? Probably not. If you are truly after sound quality, as they distort some when you turn them up to jam some classic rock. If you just want a fair system that fits into your stock dash and not interested in sound quality and don't mind over paying then buy it.
I'm with 65-440 keep your old if it will save you cash.

I was seriously considering going the vintage audio route. But they are pricey and for the $ they cost they should sound like a BOSE. Just my 2 cents

Keep us informed

I will say my converted thumbwheel sounds better than my pioneer in my jeep. Zero distortion at higher volumes

I will say my converted thumbwheel sounds better than my pioneer in my jeep. Zero distortion at higher volumes
What watts? How many speakers?

What i am being told is not to touch my AM 8 track radio as they are rare. Are they is the guy rights have no idea but the conversion sounds good. Will look into it and thanks

Steve, you could look at doing something similar to what I have done. keep the AM/8-Track in it's stock location, and add a modern head deck under the dash. I used a Line converter and a 800Watt Amp behind the back seat, some extra cabling, and I can now enjoy my 8-Tracks, USB (can plug I-Pod in), Bluetooth, CD and FM as well.
upload_2017-2-4_17-31-53.png

upload_2017-2-4_17-33-28.png

upload_2017-2-4_17-33-42.png

upload_2017-2-4_17-33-59.png

That's how it looked when I set it up on my work bench.

Anybody remember the under the dash 45 rpm record player?

No conversion to my thumb wheel AM/8 Track, but Dartthomas wired in an aux plug for me to run my Ipod through it. Works and sounds great (by my standards). I'm very happy with it.

Beings my car isn't an original, and I consider it to be more of a mod. I want to put a really nice system in it. I want my neighbors (1.5 miles away) to listen to Classic Vinyl, like it or not. Lol
I'm not opposed to modifying my Dash to accommodate,.nor the rear window platform or door panels.So long as it looks nice and sounds nice when finished.
I thought about the Vintage Audio route but I can get a receiver like what is in my tractors for half that price. (And those things have sound systems that are top notch) Am/Fm/Xm/I-pod/blue tooth/Cd/broad band weather. The downside is that it will be a chore and require modification.
I find these threads on radios to be quite informative and interesting

Anybody remember the under the dash 45 rpm record player?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was the "Highway Hi-Fi" The system appeared in Chrysler Corp. automobiles from 1956 to 1959. Records for the system were manufactured exclusively by Columbia Records Special Products, and could hold roughly 45 minutes of music or an hour of speech per side. This was accomplished by the use of a very slow rotation speed of 16⅔ RPM—versus 33 RPM for long-playing records and 45 RPM.

A newer version was offered, that did play 45 RPM records. The records wore-out prematurely, because of the high-pressure tone arm; designed to "help prevent" the needle from bouncing-out if the groove. HAH! Good-Luck with that, on a bumpy road! :mad:The Highway Hi-Fi was a warranty nightmare for the Chrysler Corp. (1955 Version shown)
columbia-open.jpg

Last edited:
lawrencewelkturntablecarasldkfjalsdjfljsa_465_475_int.jpg
"...and a von...and a two...mit Snooky Lanson" - in Lawrence Welks' '56 Dodge! (Convertible, No Less!)

Never had one of those, but I heard that they handles the bumps pretty well, hard as that is to imagine.

Auto Transport Service
Back