• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Flushable Wet Wipes Really Flushable?

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:40 AM
Reaction score
I’ve had debates with my wife about this when she introduced these to our house some years ago. We have a septic system. Handling these wipes, MO, they don’t seem so flush-friendly and I said let’s not flush these. Response – they say flushable on the package; why would they say flushable if they’re not?

I discussed this with the outfit that pumps the tank every two-years as required and he advised not to flush them. More than enough of an answer for me. I passed this along to the Mrs. and said don’t drop them down the toilet. I’m kind a thinking this may not always be happening. Now she bought some wipes and paper that is some part bamboo, seems heavier than the other stuff, getting a good deal on it on Amazon. Wipes say flushable.

I’ve heard too many stories of these wet wipes not being good to toss down the toilet. I’ll be opening the tank next month for pumping out and see what the pumper guy finds.

Short answer is no. We've had to snake sewer lines and pulled wads of wipes (among other things) that were blocking drain lines in commercial buildings.

I would not flush anything except TP.

Flushable, maybe.

Septic-friendly...different story (and different labeling).

"Flushable" labeling means city sewer, and is strictly a "won't clog pipes" claim. Septic-friendly means it'll decompose properly in a septic tank without clogging IT (or your drain field) up. Most septic folk don't even recommend flushing paper towels, nevermind wipes.

No wipes(flush friendly or not), feminine products, paper towels, cotton balls, q-tips, paint, or small animals go down our drain to our septic. Mama writes on the box of wipes in each bathroom. It says "DO NOT FLUSH". She does this in particular for folks who visit and would otherwise flush them if they were in their own home and it was permissible.

Our city says no, please! Oh they'll flush and leave the toilet, but they don't break down the way regular TP does.
And they'll stay in septic tanks for a good long time as the little critters can't really digest that stuff.
Get your wife to google "flushable wipes clogging sewer"...better yet, have her put a wipe in one hand and some TP in the other. Then soak them with water and watch what happens. The TP will pretty much disintegrate into mashed potatoes but you'll be able to wring out the wipe and use it again.

I have to ask here, exactly what is the proper way to dispose of a wipe that has been, ahem, "soiled" ?

Well crap, I just had this discussion with wife and she says no, she does not flush em. Yet, there are packages of them in guest bathrooms (2). If they are there, they at some point will get flushed. I’m not sure what it was that I snaked out of line a couple years ago, but not doing it again.

I’ll be opening the tank next month for pumping out and see what the pumper guy finds.
Maybe have a cold beer ready for him...because he might not be too happy!

I have to ask here, exactly what is the proper way to dispose of a wipe that has been, ahem, "soiled" ?
Back when the kids were in diapers, we put the poopy wipes and dirty diapers in a bag in a barrel outside. When full enough the bag would get tied up tight and put in the trash.

Honestly...the fact that buttwipes are being marketed towards normal-functioning healthy adults now speaks volumes about society in 2023!

Lol thanks gents! Not too surprised with the suggestions. I’ll be super-pissed (or shitted) if finding those wipes floating when opening the cover as I think the repeated explanations why dumping in our tank is not a good idea. In our old house the septic tanks failed throughout the neighborhood before sewer came in. A shitty mess and going to the gas station to use their restrooms and the folks to take a shower.

Last time I had to unclog a toilet was a friggin nightmare. How did it get stopped up, I asked? “I don’t know.” One of the more than one times. Took a long time trying one tip after another hoping I didn’t have to call a plumber. After several plunging attempts, dousing the bowl with dish soap and hot water mixed with the soap in a 5-gallon pail (tip I got off the web) three of them, finally did the trick.

Lol, why did I post this today? Wife came out in the garage yesterday asking me where the plunger was!

Guess the answer is don't flush them. My sewer line is 225' to the road I'd never flush anything that isn't supposed be or questionable.:lol:

No wipes(flush friendly or not), feminine products, paper towels, cotton balls, q-tips, paint, or small animals go down our drain to our septic. Mama writes on the box of wipes in each bathroom. It says "DO NOT FLUSH". She does this in particular for folks who visit and would otherwise flush them if they were in their own home and it was permissible.

and...... any and all cooking grease into the trash

and...... any and all cooking grease into the trash
Correct! Learned that lesson the hard way over the holidays some years ago. Found my daughter peeling potato's trying to jam those down the garbage disposal. Dad what's wrong the sink's stopped up? Well, it was not just this NEVER do; but years of dumping pasta water and such down the drain. We have long piping from the kitchen sink to the septic.

So went my hunt for where it was clogged...long hunt. Using a router snake I have started from the drain pipe under the sink. Nope, then in the basement after the first elbow, nope. Then further to the next elbow. Nada. Ran the snake several times through, and knew it made it through the last elbow to the septic. Gotta be clear, F no. Ran the garden hose at every elbow getting a rush of skank water back to me. Had a huge pail to catch most of the water. My daughters made numerous trips outside with buckets to dump the water.
Opened up the last elbow about 4 or so inches on each side of it. THERE was this strange looking gel-like yellowish mass. I poked my screw driver through it w/o much effort and pulling it out, that **** closed right back up leaving no evidence I stabbed through it! Figured the snake ran through it repeatedly and just sealed back up. Lol, maybe a flex-seal innovation!
Problem solved...until couple years later when it clogged again - my goof as I didn't slope that pipe like it should have been.

Maybe have a cold beer ready for him...because he might not be too happy!

Back when the kids were in diapers, we put the poopy wipes and dirty diapers in a bag in a barrel outside. When full enough the bag would get tied up tight and put in the trash.

Honestly...the fact that buttwipes are being marketed towards normal-functioning healthy adults now speaks volumes about society in 2023!
When our kids were on disposable diapers, we had a bin that had endless disposal bags that when full, could be removed and put into our regular garbage bags - all sealed. The bin and the bags were sanitised and fragranced. It wasn't an issue.

We also have a City notice/edict that 'flushable wipes' should not be flushed. Crazy that the companies selling them call them flushable. They should be called 'Disposable' instead.

Another thought for those with waste baskets in the bathroom - try a small, fitted plastic bag inside it also - that way the bin stays clean longer.

Auto Transport Service
Back