• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear disc brakes

'73bird

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
So I was thinking of converting my 8 3/4 rearend that sits in my 74 Satellite to disc brakes and was wondering what car is the best to scavenge from in a parts yard for their disc brake set up?

I like the idea of 4 wheel disc brakes as all of my cars have had them and its a safer option I believe.

I just went with the SSBC set up on my 300.

Well, as Richard Ehrenberg says in his 'stop-on-a-dime' article http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html Much has been written about rear discs. Everybody lusts after the early-‘70s Imperial units. In a word, don’t! Chrysler engineers have told me, point blank, that the only reason they went to 4- wheel discs on any car (possibly excluding the Viper) was “competitive pressure”. They feel there’s little performance gain.

Well, as Richard Ehrenberg says in his 'stop-on-a-dime' article http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html Much has been written about rear discs. Everybody lusts after the early-‘70s Imperial units. In a word, don’t! Chrysler engineers have told me, point blank, that the only reason they went to 4- wheel discs on any car (possibly excluding the Viper) was “competitive pressure”. They feel there’s little performance gain.

So why do it on the Viper?

...well, they are a LOT easier to work on...and less messy.

The way I see it- you're either going to spend a small fortune and end up with a street rod parts look or you're going to spend serious fab time to use marginally stock appearing ford 8.8 or jeep parts.

Well for me muscling around in a 4500+ lb. car, 4 wheel disc just make sense. Plus the fact that 11x3's are getting harder to find and expensive made it a no-brainer for me. I have never been happier.

1970 Engineering has nearly zero relevance today. Most young EFI tuners have more automotive knowledge than a 1970 Chrysler engineer. We're trapping at 1970 prostock speeds in fat street cars these days. Disc brakes are exponentially better than drums. I swapped on Wilwood rear disc brakes on my Roadrunner. I'll be added Baer dual caliper rear discs on my new build.

I think that the resistance to discs is based in solid facts. The rear does less braking than the front, everyone knows that. 4 wheel disc brakes on todays cars ? I agree that it is as much about manufacturers building what their competitors are building as it is for any perceived benefit.
I added a Doctor Diff 10.7 rear disc kit for $500 back in 2006. I'm sure he is still offering similar kits. Mine uses Toyota rotors, Mustang calipers and Dr Diffs adapter bracket. I switched to discs purely for appearance since the big wheels I have made the 10" drums look small and ugly. they worked fine, just looked bad.

And for an unmodified car, with the same hp as the car was built with and the brakes designed around, I would agree that the drums are adequate for that application. Now, aside from the pure stock restorations, who has a car like that? Stuffing in a 600hp stroker in and leaving the rear drums on just doesn't make any sense.
Compare these old cars to the new cars with modern conveniences and one of the things you'll notice is vastly improved braking. They didn't accomplish that by using rear drums.

So knowbody is answering the O.P. question "what would you scavenge the parts from"? I'm looking to do the same, yes you can buy the kits for $400-500 but they're just selling you the same parts you can source yourself with a few added brackets so I'm interested in hearing what donors are out there to be had as well.
I for one agree that most of our Mopars don't "NEED" them but nobody can deny that it's a much cleaner, maintenance freindly and more appealing option than the drums.

...well, they are a LOT easier to work on...and less messy.

The way I see it- you're either going to spend a small fortune and end up with a street rod parts look or you're going to spend serious fab time to use marginally stock appearing ford 8.8 or jeep parts.
What Fords use this 8.8 and which Jeeps are you referring too? To me most of the kits I see look stock anyways?

Some Ford Explorer in the 90s had the 8.8 with rear disc with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Jeeps of the late 90s also had them.

Have both on my car
Scarebird Brackets for both
Rear Brakes
1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado Rear calipers it has a parking brake option
1982-87 Lincoln rear rotors 11-1/4"
Front brakes
1970-72 Ford full size rotors 11-3/4"
1994-99 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton pickup calipers.

Have both on my car
Scarebird Brackets for both
Rear Brakes
1979-85 Cadillac Eldorado Rear calipers it has a parking brake option
1982-87 Lincoln rear rotors 11-1/4"
Front brakes
1970-72 Ford full size rotors 11-3/4"
1994-99 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton pickup calipers.

Nice Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back