• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilt 4.7 and the Drama that came with it.

BeepBeepRR

Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
So a while back I posted some pictures of a Dakota with a blown up 4.7 3 pistons were trashed. I pull the passenger side head off to discover that number 2 and 4 pistons have chunks out of them. When I took the engine apart every nut and bolt that I took off went into a box in the rear of the quad cab. Every piece and part. So while shopping around for an engine I find one 1500.00 used 56k miles.. This would have been a fantastic deal. However My buddy came across a craigslist ad 1750.00 rebuilt and installed. So naturally that makes sense... I pay 250 for an install... Thats a no brainer..Plus I get a rebuilt engine... YESSA>>> great deal. This is the ad from craigslist.

I have 21 years experience in repairing & building engines all parts are oem not aftermarket fast turn time these prices include pulling,building and installing call for other prices
Hemi 5.7-1750.00
4.7-1750.00
3.7-2.7-1500.00
late & early 350-1500.00
4.3 v6-1350.00
all 2.2 chevy 1300.00
toyota 2azfe 4clinders-1450.00
honda 4cylinders vtec-1450.00
ford 4.6&5.4-1750.00
ford 4.2 1450.00
ford 302-351-400 v8 1450.00

Here is a link to my original thread.. https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/4-7-dakota-questions.176811/

So fast turn around = 3 months.. ok fair enough. We go to pick up the "COMPLETED" truck. Mike, my buddy asked me to come and check out the install. So I do and boy was I shocked. I will let the pictures talk for me. But first let me explain how the whole situation blew the hell up. I ask this guys kid.. Did you guys rebuild this or is it a junkyard engine? He says My dad is on his way.. I ask him about missing parts/bolts/nuts/plastics and other assorted pieces that are clearly not there.. Again..... My dad is on his way.. Ok, fair enough. So the DAD shows up and immediately starts flying off the handle and telling us to get off his ******* PROPERTY. And telling us we will never see that truck again, I'll pull that engine out tonight... YADA YADA, Mechanics lien etc etc... Just a whole cluster **** of a situation.. All this while the guy has a 357 magnum attached to his hip. Then his wife comes out of the truck. I **** you not she looks EXACTLY like the old lady from Goonies. Anyhow.. by then end of the night all was settled we have the truck and they offered me a job... NO THANKS... Pictures in the next post. I want nothing to do with this group of morons.

Last edited:
These pictures were taken last night. I will take better pictures in the day time..

IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2824.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2826.JPG
IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG
IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG IMG_2831.JPG

$1750 for a rebuild with oem parts and R&R?
The parts alone should have been more than that.
Red flag!

I myself did not get hosed... I know better. I tried to talk him out of it.. So today I took some time and looked under the truck.. There is some stuff missing and its pretty crucial to the front axle. Also I hooked up the transmission... unplugged as well as an 0/2 sensor not plugged in. I honestly think a band of monkeys could have done a better job. So thats about number 5 of places around here to NEVER take a car to. So one by one these morons are getting weeded out. I fixed a few things myself and now have only one engine code and its for number 2 fuel injector open circuit. I think the injector is stuck open. But these morons need to be put out of business. There is no way in hell I would let an engine leave my place looking like that and call it rebuilt.

I fixed a few things myself and now have only one engine code and its for number 2 fuel injector open circuit. I think the injector is stuck open.

Open circuit is an electrical problem, probably not a injector problem, check the wiring going to the #2 injector...

Open circuit is an electrical problem, probably not a injector problem, check the wiring going to the #2 injector...
I did check the wiring but to be honest didn't really get into it to much. I will look more into it once i find my multimeter. The wire coating was bare right next to the injector. I did tape both wires up to keep them from touching. Made no difference.

So if you search craigslist now and you will come up with MY AD RIGHT BESIDE THEIRS. LMAO.

HERE

Uh...that's what R&R is. Remove and replace. Plus rebuild. THREE red flags! (Ah ah ah)
Yup a clusterFK from the beginning. I tried to tell the guy.. But nope...

Going to the pullapart tomorrow and try and get all the parts these wrench toting monkeys lost,misplaced or stole.. Not sure which word to use.. Anyhow I have some work to do to fix their lack of mechanical ability.

Added this picture to my craigslist ad..

8b48e0ff-0db1-4663-b896-2d190b7ecbd0.jpg

Last edited:
btw,thats the dirtiest rebuilt motor ive seen in a long time........

ps,that first pic you show,the missing bolt,
the actual bolt for it is IN the starter instead..
look at the length of the bolt in 2cnd picture that they used for the starter.

Last edited:
Yup this guy and his merry band of monkeys needs to be put out of business. I have seen some **** in my years but nothing like this ****. This has to be the worst engine install I have ever seen.

Tested the injector 0.2 ohms tested a known good one 13.5 ohms. So number 2 is definitely bad. Going to pull a part tomorrow to fill the shopping list of missing parts.

They are at every corner, of every street, waiting to screw you!! Craigslist is a joke anymore.

Well after spending half the day going to 3 different pull-a-parts I found the parts at the very last damn Durango in the very last damn yard. It had to be a 2002 or 2003 with the 4.7 The bracket that holds the front differential bolted to the block and trans was a pain in the *** to find. LOTS of 2wd's out there and only 1 that met the criteria.

Its shown in this picture as number 2. It is kind of crucial to the truck to have this. I guess those monkeys used it as a boomerang.

2011-01-19_234120_bracket.gif

Well after hours of swapping fuel injectors I finally gave up and hooked up a noid light.. I tried it on cyl 4 injector and it worked showed a pulse. Moved it to injector 2 and no pulse. So I have been searching all over the web for the proper 2003 Dodge Dakota PCM pinout so I can find the damn wire and track it down.

One set I find says the number 15 wire in the white connector is the number 2 fuel injector. Another set says that number 15 in the grey connector is the fuel injector for number 2. The grey plug has a tan/pink wire on 15 pin. I need to check the White connector for pin 15 and see if thats tan like the other schematic says it is.. What a pain in the ***.. There was no problem with the electrical before these retards started working on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back