• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker shaft orientation

All good points...for factory rockers. Holes toward exhaust for stamped steel arms.
The PRWs the OP is using don't care where the holes are pointing..oil will get out to the necessary areas either way.
(The shafts PRW and others supply with their kits have holes on center with the mounting holes)..

Joel, a good pre-install thing to do is run something like a small piece of wire through each oiling hole. PRW has been known to leave metal/gunk in them, and even forget to drill the occasional hole. I'd remove and clean each adjuster and the rocker threads as well..

(The shafts PRW and others supply with their kits have holes on center with the mounting holes)..

The shafts the OP took a pic of clearly have the offset holes.

And he said:
These are PRW shafts and their stainless rockers

Since it requires no extra effort to put them on either way, I’d install them with the holes towards the exhaust.

The shafts the OP took a pic of clearly have the offset holes.

And he said:

Since it requires no extra effort to put them on either way, I’d install them with the holes towards the exhaust.
I missed that they were also PRW shafts, thought they were stock from the first picture... On the ones I had the holes were in-line.

Did you have the stainless ones or the Shanghai Sharps?

The BB Comp Ultra Pro Magnums have had the holes on center for a few years now.

Did you have the stainless ones or the Shanghai Sharps?

The BB Comp Ultra Pro Magnums have had the holes on center for a few years now.
They were the steel Comp look-alikes. FWIW those shafts seemed to be wearing quickly...I replaced them with Mancini/HS not long after and had no problems from then on.
"Shanghai Sharps":lol::)

Joel, a good pre-install thing to do is run something like a small piece of wire through each oiling hole. PRW has been known to leave metal/gunk in them, and even forget to drill the occasional hole. I'd remove and clean each adjuster and the rocker threads as well..
Sounds like I am safe either way I mount these shafts, but will point the oil holes towards the valves.
I did take everything apart to clean after noticing a couple of the small oil holes did have some gunk in them.

Sounds like I am safe either way I mount these shafts, but will point the oil holes towards the valves.
I did take everything apart to clean after noticing a couple of the small oil holes did have some gunk in them.
:thumbsup:

So what did PRW say? I didn't know you were using a roller rocker.

If there's gunk in the holes you can remove the end caps on the shaft and wash them out real good. One metal shaving could ruin a rocker if they have the needle bearings. A long thin punch through the end bolt hole and tap the cap out. Don't beat it up and you can reuse it. Is this what you did?

So what did PRW say? I didn't know you were using a roller rocker.

If there's gunk in the holes you can remove the end caps on the shaft and wash them out real good. One metal shaving could ruin a rocker if they have the needle bearings. A long thin punch through the end bolt hole and tap the cap out. Don't beat it up and you can reuse it. Is this what you did?
I didn't call PRW and probably won't at this point. These are the rockers that came in a kit with shafts ad hold downs. The holes with gunk in them were several of these small oil passages where the adjusters thread in. I just blew air in every hole of the shafts. Didn't notice anything coming out of them.

20211015_125131.jpg 20211015_124712.jpg 20211015_124722.jpg

Just because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight without knowing, I called the PRW tech guy. He said the oil holes should definitely be pointing to the valves/exhaust. Also told me the torque for the hold downs is 15-17 ft lbs and not 35 like the builder told me.
So there you have it, holes pointing DOWN AND OUT, like previously stated in this thread. This place rocks :thumbsup:.

Just because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight without knowing, I called the PRW tech guy. He said the oil holes should definitely be pointing to the valves/exhaust. Also told me the torque for the hold downs is 15-17 ft lbs and not 35 like the builder told me.
So there you have it, holes pointing DOWN AND OUT, like previously stated in this thread. This place rocks :thumbsup:.
Uh, 15-17 is for a small block with 5/16 bolts. 35 is for small and big blocks using 3/8 bolts. Aftermarket fasteners may have their own requirements based on metallurgy. Follow their recommendations.

Uh, 15-17 is for a small block with 5/16 bolts. 35 is for small and big blocks using 3/8 bolts. Aftermarket fasteners may have their own requirements based on metallurgy. Follow their recommendations.
These are 3/8" fine thread, but there is not a lot of meat around the threads. You think a guy should torque these to 35?

20211015_180009.jpg

I would use arp lube.
Edit; and do a torqued down mock up to check for rocker side clearance

I would use arp lube.
Edit; and do a torqued down mock up to check for rocker side clearance
ARP lube and torque to 35? Spent some time and have all the rocker side plays between .014" and .016". Didn't torque them down yet to see if that changes anything.

Yep but use a beam torque wrench and come up to it slowly. You'll feel it tighten up around there

So now it's pushrod checker time?

Auto Transport Service
Back