• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salvaging Uni-body parts for a 69 Charger restoration

mopar4don

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
This is my first project thread, and thought I would share it with everyone.
What I have is a 69 Coronet 4 door parts car, that I bought with the idea of using some of the uni-body parts, for my 69 Charger restoration.

P1010003.jpg

I know that my Charger needs rear frame rails, torsion bar cross-member,floor pans, trunk pan, rockers. Most of which will go into the Charger.
I know that the trunk pan is different between the Coronet and Charger, but I thought I would remove the pan with the Rear frame rails and put them into the Charger as one unit. (this way everything stays in alignment) Later I would remove the Coronet trunk pan and replace it with a Charger pan.

Anyway, I know what I want, just not sure how to get there.

The 1st thing I did was to remove both quarter panels. Sorry no pics of this, but it was a pain in the rear. (lots of spot welds) Thanks propwash for recommending Blair spot weld cutters. It works GREAT!

Here is a pic after the quarters were removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Next I started on the C pillar or rear door jams. Man figuring out how these parts come apart and the best way to get them apart is NOT easy! Oh well, now I know how.
P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg
Used a torch to heat up and melt out the lead in the lower corner. Then drill out and separate all of the spot-welds.

SUCCESS!!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,208
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,087
Just buy new metal for the Charger.

Why? He has everthing but the trunk pan right there. Why buy 2000.00 of China steel?

- - - Updated - - -

I would go ahead the remove the Coronet trunk pan but leave the frame set welded together along with the under rear seat pan still on the frames.

I'd go the doner route too, it has worked in the past for me just the way you plan to do it. Saved a ton of time and money and everything fit perfectly. Check out the first album of my photos under my avatar to see the way I did it on my '68 RR.

Just buy new metal for the Charger.

You instigator! :grin:

Why? He has everthing but the trunk pan right there. Why buy 2000.00 of China steel?

- - - Updated - - -

I would go ahead the remove the Coronet trunk pan but leave the frame set welded together along with the under rear seat pan still on the frames.

Can you tell me why you would remove the Coronet trunk pan. I was thinking I would remove it after I installed the clip.

I'd go the doner route too, it has worked in the past for me just the way you plan to do it. Saved a ton of time and money and everything fit perfectly. Check out the first album of my photos under my avatar to see the way I did it on my '68 RR.

Thanks Matt, your resto is one that I studied before I got my project. I may have questions.....

You can go wrong with Used metal or NOS part(s) .....

I have had bad luck with foreign metal .

Foreign metal needs more work to work with than the old stuff .... saves time and money as well .....

In my opinion any time you can use an original piece, it will fit far better than an aftermarket one. I'd use as much as you can from the Coronet.

Next I tackled the B pillar.
After I got it removed. I realized I didn't need to drill out all the spot welds running up and down on both sides. There is no need to leave the "backer" like I did. It would have come off with the b pillar if i would have removed the spot welds on the top and bottom. :banghead:
Oh well, live and learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Then it was on to the cowl.....
Found a critter nest.
Overall the cowl area looked good.

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,013
  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 935
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 936
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 929
  • P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 953
  • P1010039.jpg
    P1010039.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 950
  • P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 954
Just tossing it out there. If the coronet trunk pan is nice and solid I would just use it in the charger. They for the most part are the same other than where the filler neck goes threw to the tank. You just need to cut the razed part around the filler hole and weld it to the coronet pan.
This what I did with my 69 charger, I had a very nice trunk pan from a 4 door also. I can send pics of mine if needed.

Dan

You seem to have all kinds of advice, im just going to say good luck, looking forward to seeing parts going on the Charger!

Just tossing it out there. If the coronet trunk pan is nice and solid I would just use it in the charger. They for the most part are the same other than where the filler neck goes threw to the tank. You just need to cut the razed part around the filler hole and weld it to the coronet pan.
This what I did with my 69 charger, I had a very nice trunk pan from a 4 door also. I can send pics of mine if needed.

Dan

I was thinking the same thing, Dan!

Dan

This may be the way to go. I was just thinking that bings how you weren't going to use the pan that you might as well get it out of your way.

Looks like your moving right along. Soooooooo do you want a job?

I was thinking when I first read this is how much parts can you use from a 4-door? Guess you showed me. May have to tell my buddy he might have to rethink on getting rid of his 4 door after he takes the front clip off.

If you are changing the under rear seat pan be sure to save the backet welded to it for the seat back braces out of the Charger. Sedans did not use it.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I didn't think it would work. I'll double check it, It's rusty and the previous owner cut the tail panel out so I don't think it will work. The previous owner also cut out the spare tire hold down
P1010042.jpg

You seem to have all kinds of advice, im just going to say good luck, looking forward to seeing parts going on the Charger!
Thanks Ron, I'll need all the luck I can get, It may be a while though.....

This may be the way to go. I was just thinking that bings how you weren't going to use the pan that you might as well get it out of your way.

Looks like your moving right along. Soooooooo do you want a job?

Pullin parts? mmmm I better keep my day job! Thanks though!

If you are changing the under rear seat pan be sure to save the backet welded to it for the seat back braces out of the Charger. Sedans did not use it.

Thanks marks, I will definatly look to be sure all little things like this are not missed.

I then removed the rear package tray and roof

Attachments

• no package tray.jpg
    no package tray.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 890
  • roof is gone.jpg
    roof is gone.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 939
Nice!
Sure you don't want to do this full time. I could keep you drilling welds 10 hrs a day , 7 days a week, forever.:toothy10:

Kinda reminds me of an article I read in a car magazine one time where they kept cutting and removing pieces off a car to see how much faster they could get the car to go down the track.

Auto Transport Service
Back