• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i replace or roll the dice

Poster must have doubts about them. Tire wipes out a quarter or fender you can hardly buy the materials for what the tires cost.

I have been frugal all through my life (a necessity when you're poor) but have changed my thinking on certain things in my 60s. I ran tires until they burst (not what happened with the trailer tire posted above) because I wanted every last mile from them. Now, I consider replacing old, not worn out tires a fairly cheap insurance policy. Last year I replaced a full set of 15 year old tires with 11-12k miles on them. The car was from Texas and Oklahoma, and while there was no exterior checking, I thought I might see some heat related decay inside of them. They looked perfect when I inspected them, but the exterior was extremely hard and felt like plastic. What I noticed after replacing them was a much smoother ride - and peace of mind when hitting triple digits. A blowout at speed can be catastrophic!

What I noticed after replacing them was a much smoother ride -
Agree. I waited 12 years to replace the tires on my old 88 Ram. I drive it less than 1000 miles a year.Mostly local hauling.
Tread was like new but cracks were starting everywhere. Dang things were hard as rocks and tough to get off the rims.
$800 later and the 1 ton rode like a late model car. Quiet too !

Man what a response. I love the hole shot burnout route but dont do it anymore. For the cost and peace of mind will replace. Thanks everyone

I would run them and pay close attention to any shake or vibration. You will feel a shifted steel belt long before it fails.

My 10 year old bfgs are coming off the 67 it's just not worth the gamble.
I have been going to do this since last year. Hell they may last another 3 years or 9,000 miles.
Or only another month.

I would not trust old bfg's. Old cooper's might be a different matter. If you're worried, buy some new.
I've got a 2012 that is still wearing the oem pirrelli's. They look perfect, and I'm not planning on replacing them for a while. They have 14k on em.
The 33's are sitting on 30 year old Lester's, without a crack. But I know I need new for them .
The trick is coming up with $5000 for twelve tires, tubes and liners. (Wire wheels)

Sure, I like spending other peoples' money....
Buy new tires, dammit! :thumbsup:

I have a set of tires currently on my car. Cooper Cobras. 3000 miles on them 10 years old. They still look like new, only issue is. When I was checking the tire pressure I noticed hairline cracks in the tread. Sidewalls are fine. Only small cracks on the tread. Ive read that the tread could separate. True? I barley use car anymore and when I do 50mph is the fastest I go and I usually limit my driving to shows within an hour ride. Is this something to be concerned about or am i just worrying for no reason? Not a big deal to replace them but why spend money needlessly. Got a feeling you all are going to say replace. Thanks in advance for responses.
This happened to a friend of mine:

I shot the video. I'm not sure of the age of the tires but they started wobbling so he pulled over and ended up having it towed. This was on a 2 post lift near his home. He was driving 70-75 and the car started feeling weird to him. He had it towed to a shop near his house and drove it the rest of the way home.

Tire damage can happen many ways.....

Tire.png

Here is a classic failure....

Kingpin 3.jpg

Ernie McCracken dealt with a similar blowout...

Kingpin 1.jpg

I only had that happen once - on my Charger. Had an egg develop on one rear tyre at speed. Pretty scary stuff when it happens.

I don't compromise on two things now - brakes and tyres.

I must be charmed.
I've had numerous flats in my pickups but never lost a tire in a nice car. I had tires go flat in these though....

G L 2 99 2 (2).jpg

Dart blue 1.jpg

One of these events:

1714976944575.png

.....resulted in this:

IMG_2976.JPG

This happened to a friend of mine:

I shot the video. I'm not sure of the age of the tires but they started wobbling so he pulled over and ended up having it towed. This was on a 2 post lift near his home. He was driving 70-75 and the car started feeling weird to him. He had it towed to a shop near his house and drove it the rest of the way home.

What brand?

Ed Mini-Story Time:
I've only had one tire to go south on me whilst driving in my entire life...and it shouldn't have.
Of course, I was in the midst of doing something I shouldn't have been doing also...but I digress.
I'm sure y'all remember the Goodyear Gatorback tires with the directional tread back in the 80s-90s,
right? They debuted on the Corvette, then usage spread to other new cars - like my '89 5.0.

They were bad for not lasting more than 20k miles and were expensive to boot - and as I found out
that day, their V speed rating did not necessarily preclude one of 'em going flat, in a damn HURRY,
at a speed we'll just call "north of 100"....in a damn MUSTANG - king of the swap-ends handling.
Fortunately, this happened during my days of SCCA racing, so I was pretty well versed in the cars'
behavior when out of shape and with a whole lot of thrashing and wrangling, I talked it into submission...
sideways in the middle of a back road.

I don't know if I picked up a nail or what, but that sucker went flat RIGHT NOW when it left me.
I never bought anymore Gatorbacks. Probably saved my arse in doing so, too.

I'd replace them if it was mine. Tires cost less than body work and paint.

Tire.png

Don't drive on a flat for 200 miles like this guy.

Auto Transport Service
Back