• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side-tracked - Not a shop but well needed firewood storage . . .

The darn rain has finally blown out of there for a day . . . and I jumped at the opportunity to get back on this projects
( and try and keep my wood dry )

First of all, the only 14' boards that I could find were non-treated lumber ( but they'll be in the roof structure )
So . . . this morning I got up and painted all the untreated lumber with oil-based paint . . . to protect it . . .

sm_firewoodstorage23.jpg

Then it was time to start on the tin roofing . . . had to cut each piece 2x - debur it,
wash it ( they have been sitting for years and are a mess ) and then get it installed . . .
Was not sure if I'd have enough time in the day to get this thing done . . .

sm_firewoodstorage24.jpg

But . . . I was able to stick to it, and get this whole side of the roof installed . . .

sm_firewoodstorage25.jpg

Still have the tin on the lower wood piles in place to keep them dry till the other side goes up . . .

sm_firewoodstorage26.jpg

Now it's time to get started on the roof structure for the other side of this structure . . .

So far - very happy with the progress . . .

Your projects always have a unique twist to them, no cookie cutter construction here lol. Looks great and at that pitch you could just about roof it standing up haha.

Thanks Devin . . . what "fun" is cookie cutter projects . . . add a little of yourself into the project and have some fun . . .

Thanks for the kind words and the compliment . . . much appreciated.

Can't believe it . . . a weekend and no rain on Saturday ? ! ? ! ? Took advantage of the dry ( nice ) weather to work on the project . . .

Got the other side all framed up and ready for the tin . . . then it got dark . . .

sm_firewoodstorage27.jpg

Tomorrow, the tin goes up on the roof to get the wood under cover . . .

sm_firewoodstorage28.jpg

Ready to have this done . . .

Had to get back at it . . . I'm so close to having it done, then I can start splitting my wood and stacking it
( didn't want to have to re-stack is again - under the cover . . . )

In the morning, up until lunchtime, made good progress and got half of the other side done . . .

sm_firewoodstorage29.jpg

Was happy with the progress and the skies were looking good . . . so I ran off to lunch . . .

sm_firewoodstorage30.jpg

Then as I got back from lunch and got started again on the cutting of the panels - it started to drizzle intermittently a bit
( argh . . . you've got to be kidding me - @747mopar - did you touch your shovel again ? ? ? )

But . . . I forged forward and was able to get all of the panel done ( in record time no less ) . . .

sm_firewoodstorage31.jpg

Got the top just set in place for now . . . will probably be on the ground in the morning . . .

sm_firewoodstorage32.jpg

But that is the last thing to get done to call this a wrap . . .

- - - - uh . . . bought some green paint to cover all of the red paint . . . can get to that when time permits . . .

That's turning out to be a pretty cool looking shack! I did just a bit of digging with the cursed shovel, sorry lol.

Finished up the ridge cap and have been working on the wood relocation . . . got more wood than I thought I had . . .

Got the ridge cap in place . . .

sm_firewoodstorage33.jpg

Finished up this project . . .

sm_firewoodstorage34.jpg

My collection of logs is getting smaller . . .

sm_firewoodstorage35.jpg

. . . and my storage is filling up . . . and it's working like a CHAMP ! ! ! This is great ! !

sm_firewoodstorage36.jpg

Did get some green paint if I decide to paint over the red ( had the can sitting around ) on this shed . . .

Guess what, supposed to rain for the next 3-4 days so I'll see how this things works . . .

That's turning out to be a pretty cool looking shack! I did just a bit of digging with the cursed shovel, sorry lol.

This thing is working out great too . . . very functional and no more fighting with tin covers moving and falling when I grab some wood . . .

Now to go and grab some of the stuff across the street and get it stacked up over here so it's ready for splitting and burning . . .

Nice day here in NC . . . not too hot . . . and not too cold to work up a sweat and split some wood . . .

Had this BIG ole slice from the neighbors tree, that has had a few months to "season" . . . not really, but dry out a "bit" . . . so it's time to take a stab at making it usable firewood . . .

sm_firewoodstorage37.jpg

peck away at it from the edges for a while . . .

sm_firewoodstorage38.jpg

Keep knocking off chunks as you can ( or get "lucky" . . .

sm_firewoodstorage39.jpg

And this is the remnants of that log . . .

sm_firewoodstorage40.jpg

All stacked up in the shed to house and cover the firewood . . .

sm_firewoodstorage42.jpg

Added quite a bit of new wood to the stack with that one "little" log . . . time to go get some more . . .

sm_firewoodstorage41.jpg

Want to get this filled up for next year . . . and the years to come . . . while the getting is good ( and "free" - "ax"-cluding grunt work . . . LOL )

Do you have any splitting wedges? I have several but don't do much 'wood work' anymore......

Do you have any splitting wedges? I have several but don't do much 'wood work' anymore......

Cranky . . . think I've got one around here somewhere . . . that is, if I can find it . . . the 8 pound maul works pretty well and give me a workout to boot ! !

I guess you ain't barking at 68 years of age either lol. There's been times where I got the splitting maul stuck and used a wedge and a short handle sledge to drive in a wedge to get it out plus they come in pretty handy at times for the stubborn stuff.

Cranky . . . think I've got one around here somewhere . . . that is, if I can find it . . . the 8 pound maul works pretty well and give me a workout to boot ! !
You just using the maul or the added benefits of a BFG also. I have one wedge and BFG. A maul will come in the near future. Any maul recommendations as to size and type or a you happy with the 8 lb.-der?

You just using the maul or the added benefits of a BFG also. I have one wedge and BFG. A maul will come in the near future. Any maul recommendations as to size and type or a you happy with the 8 lb.-der?

Me I'm just using the maul to split it, but then I guess that it needs to be known that I'm 6'4" and 225 ( @747mopar calls me Sashquash - for reference ) This wood is still a bit wet so it takes several whacks with the mail to bust off a chunk from the edges . . . Then it is much easier to split - the "massive" round makes it very difficult - as it gets smaller it gets easier.

As seen in this picture . . .

sm_firewoodstorage39-jpg.jpg

Wedges are a lot if help, as indicated, if you get the maul stuck . . .

Had a 6 pound maul, it's good for smaller pieces - the 8 pound is better all around if you can swing it . . . And it's also one heck of a workout too. They have some newer mails with some added "width" pieces added to the blade that would seem to help with the splitting forces. Will get you a pic of the one that I'm using . . .

My neighbor heats with firewood and has a week or so in each fall where he and his wife and two teenagers head for the woods on his farm and cut trees down and drag them out with the tractors. Slice 'em up and use a log splitter on the PTO that has a spiderweb attachment that takes a whole round and splits it into firewood all at once. They have a big ole building for the firewood so it's inside and dry.
They have two years worth outside in racks under cover that seasons and dries some before replenishing the building full every fall.

Here's the maul that I'm using . . . got it at Lowes Home Improvement ( not associated with Lowes )

OH - Fiberglass handle is much better than wood ( in my opinion )

sm_firewoodstorage43.jpg

Both of these below are the same price, but I don't think the extra width one was available when I bought mine ? ?

Here is the link to the Lowes ad for it:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-8-lb-Steel-Large-eye-Maul/3280980

This is the one with "extra" width ( wish I'd had gotten this one )
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-8-lb-Steel-Wood-splitter/1000400905

The extra width - is the steel gray area on the blade . . .

755625041210.jpg

My neighbor heats with firewood and has a week or so in each fall where he and his wife and two teenagers head for the woods on his farm and cut trees down and drag them out with the tractors. Slice 'em up and use a log splitter on the PTO that has a spiderweb attachment that takes a whole round and splits it into firewood all at once. They have a big ole building for the firewood so it's inside and dry.
They have two years worth outside in racks under cover that seasons and dries some before replenishing the building full every fall.

I've got a big steel insert in my fireplace and I basically heat my house all winter with wood too - but the house does have a heat pump in case the wood burns out ( as it does from time to time when I'm at work for 9 hours . . . just not real happy with a heat pump, and really like the warmth of the heat from a fire - plus the house feels more like home

( and my friends say that my clothes smell like a camp fire . . . oh well, trade offs . . . )

Will be waiting to see the mauls. I am no stranger to swinging big hammers. Mainly busting concrete. The sledge is a 10 pounder with many wrapping of tape at the head. Presently only have one wedge. When it gets stuck or driven in beyond removal the big wrecking bar comes out along with anything else that can be used as a spreader. Have even used the jack from the Dakota to stuff in fissures. I have worked with a few old timers that just used powder.

Will be waiting to see the mauls. I am no stranger to swinging big hammers. Mainly busting concrete. The sledge is a 10 pounder with many wrapping of tape at the head. Presently only have one wedge. When it gets stuck or driven in beyond removal the big wrecking bar comes out along with anything else that can be used as a spreader. Have even used the jack from the Dakota to stuff in fissures. I have worked with a few old timers that just used powder.

@mopar 3 B - pics posted . . .

Powder . . . I don't get it stuck often that I think I need to worry, but powder sounds like a whole lotta fun ( wish I would have thought of that ! ! - Great idea ! ! ! )

This is the 10lb Maul I've been using for 20+ years. I've never sharpened it, it either bounces off or follows right through. Nothing I hate worse than a stuck axe!
firewood2015 027.JPG

Another little side note . . . all the red paint that you saw in the building . . .
Used it because I had it, but after getting it all done, didn't like it, so I got another quart of green ( very close to the roof tin color ) and am re-painting the red to green

You can see the top edge in this picture . . .

sm_firewoodstorage42-jpg.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back