• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single stage...polish????

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Easy question, can a single stage be polished? I painted my car a metallic and seems as though the masses dat no wet sanding,,,so what about polishing?

You can wet sand the clearcoat,but carefully........you did clearcoat it didn't you?

Its a single stage paint so I didn't clear it.

Easy question, can a single stage be polished? I painted my car a metallic and seems as though the masses dat no wet sanding,,,so what about polishing?

As one of the only "single stage" advocates left on the planet, I assure you you can polish it, wet sand it, re-paint areas you mess up, and get it as smooth as glass if you like that look (I don't personally).

You can also make the paint as perfect as you want it and then clear coat it (though you then eliminate the ease of maintenance of single stage if you do).

The beauty of single stage is that the more you wash, polish, and wax. The better the paint looks. You can use a power polisher on it aggressively, and If you rub, or sand through to metal, just clean and mask the area and re-spray.

Base/clear gives you about couple 1000th's inch of clear to work with. If you rub through, or get a chip, the whole panel needs to be sanded and re-sprayed, which never matches exactly.

When you are happy with the look of single stage, wax it, and it looks as good or better (no swirls) as base/clear.

My opinion anyway.

You can do all that to a solid color single stage paint job,but you better be careful on a metallic or you will screw it up.

As one of the only "single stage" advocates left on the planet, I assure you you can polish it, wet sand it, re-paint areas you mess up, and get it as smooth as glass if you like that look (I don't personally).

You can also make the paint as perfect as you want it and then clear coat it (though you then eliminate the ease of maintenance of single stage if you do).

The beauty of single stage is that the more you wash, polish, and wax. The better the paint looks. You can use a power polisher on it aggressively, and If you rub, or sand through to metal, just clean and mask the area and re-spray.

Base/clear gives you about couple 1000th's inch of clear to work with. If you rub through, or get a chip, the whole panel needs to be sanded and re-sprayed, which never matches exactly.

When you are happy with the look of single stage, wax it, and it looks as good or better (no swirls) as base/clear.

My opinion anyway.

I AGREE!!!

Another advocate for single stage. It has a much more "original" look to it. I hate the new 2 stage wet look that usually has orange peel in the base coat that is there to stay no matter how smooth the clear coat is.

You can do all that to a solid color single stage paint job,but you better be careful on a metallic or you will screw it up.

Your not going to screw anything up. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the metallic pieces when wet sanded break through the skin of the paint and if it is not polycoat covered or kept waxed to seal it from the elements it will oxodize quickly.

Hey duys, I appreciate all the input and info that you have posted. I consider myself to be lower than a beginner(if that's possible), but you gotta start at the bottom and you can only go up from there.

There are a few thin spots and a few places that I missed, so all this info is greatly appreciated. Thanks very, very much!!!

Do NOT wetsand and polish Mettalic SS paints! Solid colour SS is ok. As mentioned above you will immediately expose the metallics that will give you an awful effect. If you want a flat finish you should clear coat and then wetsand and polish.

And don't think that once you sand into the metalics,you can just put a coat of clear on it.That will magnify the shitty effect.You will have to refinish that panel.

Can you wet sand and shoot it again?

For a repaint, yes. If you haven't sanded it yet and want to clear coat the mettalic SS, you could use 600-800 grit and lightly sand the paint without removing any orange peel or leveling of the surface, then shoot a couple coats of clear, 3 coats if you want to polish/colour sand afterwards. If you had problems with inconsistent coverage, you may want to sand the surface with 600, and apply BC/CC. 2 coats of base, 2-3 coats of clear.

And yet for 80 years (give or take), body shops, and even highway gas stations, have been doing perfect repairs?

Not only that, detailers used high RPM, 12" buffers with harsh polishing compounds to achieve "knock your eye out" results of shiny (not matte) paint.

I guess it's a good thing that no one knew that you can't repair or sand/polish single stage (metallic or solid), or we would have been driving around (for generations) with cars that look like the failed base/clear paint jobs we have now! --- Hooray for ignorance.

q-ship...no one said that you can't polish a metallic SS, just don't wetsand and polish...where the heck does your knowledge base stem from?

q-ship...no one said that you can't polish a metallic SS, just don't wetsand and polish...where the heck does your knowledge base stem from?

My knowledge base comes from being there back in the day when they were new AND owning a body shop in the late 70s. I can tell you that we DID wet sand factory metallic paint with great results. If it was a custom metal flake paint job (with larger metallic pieces) no.

Guys, I apologize for starting this. I was looking for advice on how to correct my mistakes, but now that I have been able to walk around the car and see ALL the thin spots, rough textures, missed spots, my conclusion is to wet sand the whole damn thing and hit it again. Once again fellas, I do apologize.

There's no need to appologize 5.7, there's always a learning curve attatched to these things........your dertermination to get it right shows that you have a good attitude towards your workmanship......hang in there.

Yes, don't apologize. These forums/discussions help everyone sort through what is right and wrong and we are all entitled to opinions. I revel in helping people get things right and welcome anyone who needs a little help!
Good luck with your job!

I had a buddy come by and look at the paint job, he said it looks like the pressure was to high and it was too hot in the booth, paint drying before it hit the panel. He said turn down the pressure, and paint in the morning or evening and that will help. Any comments or sugestions? Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back