• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Rollers or Flat Tappet for street and strip. Looking for LONGEVITY and low maintenance!

I run a melonized gear. No worries about the cam core material or wear.
where did u get that ? and is it assembled onto a drive shaft already ? thanks. i just did a quick search and came up empty.

I run a Minimum of a single external line on all
my strokers. Very cheap insurance and a easier
path for oil pickup!
Thanks, that is something I was formerly totally unaware of as being "better" but my builder certainly knew (I understand, that may be "common knowledge" but not to me) so, again, that freed me to choose the 572 vs 541.
I have to admit, the "adolescent" man in my mind really likes the sound of 572 vs 541...lol, and when I showed a friend a pic of the block, the first thing he said was "572?" and how would I have felt to acknowledge any less displacement...lol.

thanks for the link, it says not to use with high volume pumps though which is what i have, along with single external pickup. wonder how long it would last, better regardless than bronze ?

I talked to a few guys that use this (same as Hughes? not sure) with a HV pump. Do a search, I think there are a couple posts about it. I have maybe 1000 hard miles on mine, looks like the day it was installed.

I talked to a few guys that use this (same as Hughes? not sure) with a HV pump. Do a search, I think there are a couple posts about it. I have maybe 1000 hard miles on mine, looks like the day it was installed.
great ! sometimes those rules r just guide lines until 1 trys it,,i looked at options before but nothing was there for the mopar guys. mainly chevy and fords. so i resorted to the grinding option..i run an external pressure adj so i can turn the oil pressure down to acceptable levels,,usually cutting off 2 coils of the spring to get it at around 40-50 lbs idle and 80 at wide open. sounds like things have changed for the better,,there was gears only but u had to install the gear on the shaft yourself. not an option here.

great ! sometimes those rules r just guide lines until 1 trys it,,i looked at options before but nothing was there for the mopar guys. mainly chevy and fords. so i resorted to the grinding option..i run an external pressure adj so i can turn the oil pressure down to acceptable levels,,usually cutting off 2 coils of the spring to get it at around 40-50 lbs idle and 80 at wide open. sounds like things have changed for the better,,there was gears only but u had to install the gear on the shaft yourself. not an option here.

Wouldn't a high pressure pump put close to, or as much resistance on the shaft as a HV at moderate pressure?
For my junk, I have a HV, but, thought the melonized would be a better gamble than brass. So far so good though.

Wouldn't a high pressure pump put close to, or as much resistance on the shaft as a HV at moderate pressure?
For my junk, I have a HV, but, thought the melonized would be a better gamble than brass. So far so good though.
probably true,,as i said i turn down the pressure with the external milodon adj nut..defeating the purpose ? maybe. but i dont want 100 lbs pressure..on your HV pump do u do the same with an adjuster ? its been my experiance without it the pressure is enormous.

probably true,,as i said i turn down the pressure with the external milodon adj nut..defeating the purpose ? maybe. but i dont want 100 lbs pressure..on your HV pump do u do the same with an adjuster ? its been my experiance without it the pressure is enormous.

My relief spring is stock, so it tops out around 80 psi hot or cold, so that seems fine.

My relief spring is stock, so it tops out around 80 psi hot or cold, so that seems fine.
i just looked at the hughes unit also,,they dont mention how long they r,,for HV pumps milodon sells a longer unit to fully engage the pump drive..my milodon drive is 8" long..any thoughts ?

i just looked at the hughes unit also,,they dont mention how long they r,,for HV pumps milodon sells a longer unit to fully engage the pump drive..my milodon drive is 8" long..any thoughts ?

I have only seen stock length, but, never really looked for anything else.

Mostly street race lol.
Have been tuning and breaking in clutch/Passon before hitting prepped surfaces.
and no wear...thats interesting. in the past i have had to remove the cam and grind the gear to stop premature bronze gear failure..Big PITA..my car came with a 1970's roller cam and bronze gear,,the bronze gear was near perfect condition because the cam had an xtra radius on the teeth, No sharp edges. i think i mite have to try 1 of these drive units,,Thanks!

Mostly street race lol.
Have been tuning and breaking in clutch/Passon before hitting prepped surfaces.
Please refresh my memory, since you are using a Passon 5 speed as well (love mine, and the switch from 3.54 to 4.10 it allows is a HOOT!) what are your engine specs, displacement, induction, and HP/TQ?

520ci, 11.25 C/R, TF 240s ported to flow around 360 cfm, 268/272 @ 50 solid roller, 337 intake with Dominator, I also have 4:10s,
Last incarnation of engine was the same except 10:1 CR, 260/266 SFT.
Put down 650/680 to the wheels. Haven't gotten the new setup to the dyno yet.

520ci, 11.25 C/R, TF 240s ported to flow around 360 cfm, 268/272 @ 50 solid roller, 337 intake with Dominator, I also have 4:10s,
Last incarnation of engine was the same except 10:1 CR, 260/266 SFT.
Put down 650/680 to the wheels. Haven't gotten the new setup to the dyno yet.
650ish to the wheels, figure appx 10% power loss thru the drive train = 715+ on the dyno !

Auto Transport Service
Back