• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Rollers or Flat Tappet for street and strip. Looking for LONGEVITY and low maintenance!

Just an update should anyone get into this thread.
I was just told the Molnar 4.25 and 4.50 stroker cranks were the same price, and if I went with the 4.25 the builder would still recommend a single external oil line although he said a ½" "hemi" internal "may suffice" but a 4.50 stroke would require the external line (that he'd prefer for safety anyway). No clearancing required to my Bill Mitchell aluminum block for the 4.50 stroke, and I'm not spinning it to very high RPMs anyway...TORQUE is my power goal, and I have to admit: 572 sounds even cooler when I say it than 541, so that's what I had him order. Molnar crank and rods, Diamond pistons, moly rings and the bearing caps, basically the entire rotating assembly, paid for.
It's taken longer than I wanted, but at least I'm moving forward!
TrickFlow 270s and cam, lifters, rockers, etc will be the next chunk of change.
Oh, and a solid roller cam and lifters, with the focus being on working for the stop and go traffic and cruising I know I'll be doing.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...wedge-powerhouse.237206/page-3#post-912137290
Look at iskaderian bronze roller bearing solid rollers and you might find this is the trend more and more away from needle rollers. I put them in my hemi with oil thru push rods and stage 5 rockers.

Last edited:
As an update my Isky Redzone bushed are at 550 passes. They feel great. They have not spread at the forks. Isky said keep running them no need for service.
Doug

They look short,,,,will they fit w/o hitting the lifter boss? Had that issue with the Red zone lifters! After that experience I will NEVER use Isky for anything!!!!!!!:cursin:

no they were fine..
751A28D6-0B27-40DB-B80C-F083007C6E96.jpeg

The BMP block has bushed lifter bores as many of you know, and I'm confident that with what I expect will be modest spring rates for a powerful engine, engineering the right cam and profile and all of the components to work together, I will find minimal need for adjustment. Although my current (FBO 4 seconds flat aka Don) and future (Progression Ignition) systems have reliable rev limiters, I'm reluctant to go back to 3.54 gears since the 4.10 w/the OD 5 speed work all around so well.
Even if I grenade the Passon 855, the replacement would still be an OD 5 speed, so I may find the "need" to turn into the mid to high 6k RPM range just to cross the stripe in 4th.

something to check with roller cams,,when u get it, take your hand and wrap it/grip the distributor/oil pump drive gear on it, fell how sharp the teeth r...everyone i get now i use my dremel tool with a small round stone and radiuse the teeth,removing any sharp edge,,otherwise it will whittle away the bronze distributor gear in very short time...and they r 150.00 a pop. cam manf used to do that but not these days..FYI.

something to check with roller cams,,when u get it, take your hand and wrap it/grip the distributor/oil pump drive gear on it, fell how sharp the teeth r...everyone i get now i use my dremel tool with a small round stone and radiuse the teeth,removing any sharp edge,,otherwise it will whittle away the bronze distributor gear in very short time...and they r 150.00 a pop. cam manf used to do that but not these days..FYI.
so so true

Well, either I can ask if the cam comes that way, ask that it be done by the cam manufacturer or grinder, ask the builder to do it, or have it shipped to me, do it, and ship it back.
If I am busy w/work, I make $100-$150/hr billable labor and I am the only employee, so I'm not sure if I'll have time.
If a shipper breaks the cam, that's a problem. I'll see what I can do, but I certainly appreciate the advice.
If I understand correctly, roller cams are made of billet steel, so the distributor gear has to be bronze so it wears vs the cam "gear" right?

Look into BAM lifters, if you haven’t already.
They are in Florida, and have a bronze bushing solid roller.

have you ran one with a HV pump? I know they say you can’t.
I guess I didn’t know I couldn’t. I’m running a 4 stage dry sump pump off of it, along with a cable drive fuel pump. It makes 130psi of oil pressure at 7600rpm. I think a Melling HV pump would be a lot easier on it, lol.

I run a Minimum of a single external line on all
my strokers. Very cheap insurance and a easier
path for oil pickup!

I used the DLC coating lifters in my new engine, builder said they were the nicest machining he has seen, and is actually using them now for his builds.

The Machine shop I use is very heavy into endurance, roundy round, racing engines and offshore marine engines.

these types of applications are way, way harder on parts than drag racing engines.

He has been using BAM for a few years now, and says they hold the closest numbers of any lifters out there. That includes Isky, Morel and Jesel.
I used the DLC coating lifters in my new engine, builder said they were the nicest machining he has seen, and is actually using them now for his builds.

My builder is in Tampa, so that may work out well.
The Machine shop I use is very heavy into endurance, roundy round, racing engines and offshore marine engines. these types of applications are way, way harder on parts than drag racing engines.
He has been using BAM for a few years now, and says they hold the closest numbers of any lifters out there. That includes Isky, Morel and Jesel.

Who ya usin?
John Mercedes of Southeast Performance. LOTS of MOPAR experience, and honestly Jim Laroy was my first and almost only choice, although Carolina Machine was an option and a few others had high marks. Jim is a friend, and by the time I was financially able to make a move, Jim had decided to retire, and John has not only "hooked me up" with some great pricing on other parts and systems that I have already bought and had installed in my Roadrunner, he actually became a dealer for Viking and Dakota Digital just so he could help me with those purchases as well..Who does THAT!?? He is really working down the cost of the parts for this build too, without sacrificing quality. So TRUST and MOPAR specific experience are PARAMOUNT in order for me to proceed with something I'm likely to only get ONE shot at, this is a lifelong dream, a "bucket list" item, and it is being applied to my greatest heart's desire as far as "things" go, my Roadrunner...
The ONE thing that I enjoy more than anything else every year? Cruisin the Coast, the ONE thing that I make the time for, although 2021 was a horrible example, because of the CtC related "beach house" construction nightmare. Well, the house is basically finished, I'm picking up some extra work to pay bills, and I'm not getting any younger, and some friends have crossed over, passed away..
My best friends are still into classic muscle cars, drag racing, and street cruising, and car shows, so THIS is my Swan Song, and I really want it to work out. My wife and I are both into Cruisin the Coast, and we each have our own classic muscle cars.
John also understands that I'm not the easiest guy to deal with, but I do show restraint in not running to him over every topic I read on the internet and elsewhere. I let go of my idea that a 4.25" stroke and the lesser piston speed of a 541 was "so important" and gave the go ahead for a 4.50" stroke 572 instead. I'm not going to be spinning 7k RPMs, and I'm not cross country driving, although I pray I get to road trip on a "Power Tour" or Drag Week kind of experience, maybe go to Oklahoma and meet some of the Street Outlaws guys at their shops, especially see Farmtruck and Azn again, because they are as great off camera as you could imagine, and some of the others I think would entertain my wife and I crusing up from south Louisiana in our GTO and Roadrunner. She and I like racing at the drag strip, and I've already had her 421 Tripower rebuilt with some major performance upgrades, and we still have a TKO600 5 speed and coilover rear axle housing to install in her car. Now I've always beat her at the track, but the "new improved" 421 (now a 428 w/the .035 overbore forged aluminum pistons in it) and modded Tripower, hydraulic roller cam, and 3.80 gears and the Lightning shifter that will go in with the TKO600, and coilovers...well I laid down a 13.5 at 102, and while my Roadrunner has been running 13.3 at 107, before all the traction aids, launch control, strengthening parts and so on that I've had installed but have yet to try, our goal for the GTO is to beat my Dad's class winning run of 12.8 in 65 with a close to stock 389 Tripower GTO.
I'm thinking her GTO certainly should have all the parts to get it done, but the driver (myself included) and the tune hasn't gotten us there yet.
Well once the 572 goes in, I'm going to have to sandbag when we race, because I want it to be fun for her, and I'm trying to keep the 572 a secret, which isn't as hard as you may think, but no sense in showing my hand.
That's a very long answer to your much simpler question, but I appreciate the help I get here SO MUCH and I wanted my "forum family" to have a greater understanding.

Auto Transport Service
Back