• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sorry I haven't kept up here but I haven't touched her since last March

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
And why I haven't worked on it I got the block back from the machine shop who did some work, the shop two hours away from here. They cleaned the block and replaced cam bearings. I trusted this guy as the owner was a former Mopar dragster owner plus owning several Mopars as stated in the internet ad.

But I was taken big time I assembled the block heads and oil pan, filled with oil and with an hand drill and an oil pump drive I had no oil up to the heads and only number eight lifters were getting oil. I did some checking even pulled the cam part way out to see if the fourth cam bearing was in right and it was. So being quite disgusted I covered the engine and walked away from it. I thought I would get back on it but things around the house and the camper needed attention I still haven't touched her. I was a running engine when I got it. Dissembled it (440) and really only found one rod beating worn down to the copper backing. But since I wanted to put a cam in it I rebuilt everything. So once the temps drop to where I can't work outside on the house I'll get back on it.

Last edited:
Auggie, when I was trying to prime the 440 that I'm running for the first time I wasn't getting any oil up to the heads. I took the rocker shafts off and gently ran a stiff wire down the oil passage. Fooling with the timing and cam location, I could feel and find the hole in the cam bearing and the cam. Top dead center will find the one hole. Then turning the crank another (I believe it was 270 degrees) I found the hole through the opposite head oiling passage. Both holes were there so that cam bearing was properly installed.

It so happened that the cam lube was blocking the holes and not letting any oil come through. Once I had ran that wire into each hole I had oil coming up through the heads. Reassembled the rocker shafts and everything was fine.

Running the priming drill counter clockwise?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back