• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter relay

moparjohnny

Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
i have a black wire connected to to starter relay and its a automatic relay,my car is a 4speed,when i remove that black wire the car will not start or say anything,but when connected it cranks right up.so is there a neutral safety switch some where on this car,that should not be for a 4 speed trans? thanks

4 speed cars will not have a neutral safety switch. Have a picture you could share?
My guess is your ignition wire from the bulkhead connection has been replaced with the black wire. Should be yellow with a black tracer.

4 speed cars will not have a neutral safety switch. Have a picture you could share?
My guess is your ignition wire from the bulkhead connection has been replaced with the black wire. Should be yellow with a black tracer.
i have yellow wire from bulhead already there.

The neutral safety switch is really just a ground. On a 4 speed car, at least a 71 or later, the switch is attached to the clutch pedal, again to prevent cranking if the clutch is not depressed. If the switch on the clutch is not working right, or not present, just grounding out that connection will allow the car to be cranked. That is what I did on my 71 with a 4 speed. I just have to make sure it is not in gear or that I am pushing the clutch before attempting the start the engine.

Earlier starter relays were different and were for standard or automatics. The standard relay got its ground full time from the case bolted to the firewall and could be started in gear. Auto's used an actual neutral safety switch in the transmission. It sounds like you have a relay for an auto but it doesn't matter as long as you supply ground to the G terminal. If you're worried about accidentally starting it in gear, you will need to rig some sort of normally open switch from ground to the G terminal of the starter relay. Adapting a later model Mopar switch might be the easiest.

Starter Relays.JPG

Earlier starter relays were different and were for standard or automatics. The standard relay got its ground full time from the case bolted to the firewall and could be started in gear. Auto's used an actual neutral safety switch in the transmission. It sounds like you have a relay for an auto but it doesn't matter as long as you supply ground to the G terminal. If you're worried about accidentally starting it in gear, you will need to rig some sort of normally open switch from ground to the G terminal of the starter relay. Adapting a later model Mopar switch might be the easiest.

View attachment 333377
thanks to all, i just bought the correct starter relay for a 4 speed and its fine now.

My clutch pedal has to be depressed to a certain position. Before my bird will start. The clutch pedal is not at the floor. If you go past that point it will not start or stops cranking. It not enjoyable to start like this. Anyone have the same problem.

keep that auto relay in your spares box in the car. just need to run a ground from that extra terminal. Beats jumping with a screwdriver if you run into problems out and about.

OK try to reanimate this thread. I am building a 69 Satellite from ground up here in Germany. Never had a Mopar before.
On this picture above we have this blue cable. This cable gave me some trouble. It is shortcut to negative battery/ground. Where does it go to? How can I fix this problem? It is the first time I had a battery connected to the car after paintjob...

Amazing nobody here has mentioned or asked about the year.
Up to 69 the starter relay was chassis grounded for speed and gets the NSS signal from transmission on autos

Since 70 4 speeds got same starter relay than autos, but the safety ground comes from clutch pedal being a green wire throught the firewall with a grommet. Autos remain the same

Auto Transport Service
Back