• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting problem

nowmopardave

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking for some help with Deb's '69 Charger ('71 440, electronic ignition).
After recharging the battery, The car will start (once), then just a click (solenoid?). Sounds like a simple battery problem, right? Well, I swapped the battery out of my '57-same scenario. Meanwhile the Charger's battery started the '57 right up.
Some history: Charger's starter (stock type, for 440 six pack), & battery are about nine years old. Car has headers that are ridiculously close to the starter, so much so that the motor has to be raised to the header can be removed for starter access. I have not yet checked the connections on the starter (hope I can get to them!).
Parts are old, I know, but I don't want to just "troubleshoot with parts".
Battery reads 13.1 across the terminals, 13.8 with car running.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are you saying all is well when the engine is cold, but you are having hot start problems? With the headers close to the starter, that could well be the problem. 13.1 volts battery voltage (engine off and not charging the battery) seems kind of high. Usually, they run about 12.6 volts. 13.8 volts with the engine running sounds good. If your wiring is good and all is well when the engine is cool, but drags or won't spin when the engine is hot, I would suspect the starter is having issues.

With the engine cold, "rig" a clip lead onto the starter battery stud so you can get it up and hooked to your meter. Crank the engine and compare to cranking battery voltage. 10.5 is about minimum. If you "rig" the clip lead carefully, you can warm up the engine and test it again.

If the voltage is 10.5 or higher and the thing won't crank, replace the starter.

If it's low, check out or replace the cable

If the solenoid won't click at all sometimes, suspect the smaller wire between the start relay and starter. The factory cables were brought together in a molded "connector" down at the starter, and it was common for engine movement/ vibration to break the wires internally.

Auto Transport Service
Back