• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stumped

I had the same situation useing "Kool It" and distilled water. In the fall I drained enough out to add antifreeze. Diluted it for 0*F. Doesn't do it anymore.

My take on it is it was neutralizing the minor surface rust in the water jackets/ports. (Newly rebuilt engine). It's been really clean inside without any discoloration. So I think it was a good thing.

I started a thread on this. If the search option wasn't such a piece of crap I might find it!

Here's a video of it...

Checked coolant voltage. Reading was .938 millivolts. Way out of range. 300< is ideal. No difference with battery connected or disconnected. Not sure how this happened. New GO5 concentrate mixed 50/50 with distilled water.
Checked all grounds and even installed an additional one.
Draining system and flushing. I guess I'll try a different brand of antifreeze and maybe order a bottle of Hyperkhul.
Be Cool recommended using their coolant and receive an additional 2year warranty. For what they want for 4 gals of coolant, I could damn near by another radiator!

Last edited:
I had the same situation useing "Kool It" and distilled water. In the fall I drained enough out to add antifreeze. Diluted it for 0*F. Doesn't do it anymore.

My take on it is it was neutralizing the minor surface rust in the water jackets/ports. (Newly rebuilt engine). It's been really clean inside without any discoloration. So I think it was a good thing.

I started a thread on this. If the search option wasn't such a piece of crap I might find it!

Here's a video of it...
[/QU
If you can find it let me know. I hate re-inventing the wheel. Or maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age!

Thanks. Sounds very fimilar. At first I thought maybe I was on the Kool-Aid.
I've flushed the system for 15 minutes. Hate to use the GO5 again but that's all I've on the shelf. However, what I've got is pre-mixed and not the concentrate. Maybe not using distilled water is the key? I may make a run to town tomorrow and see what else they have.

Thanks. Sounds very fimilar. At first I thought maybe I was on the Kool-Aid.
I've flushed the system for 15 minutes. Hate to use the GO5 again but that's all I've on the shelf. However, what I've got is pre-mixed and not the concentrate. Maybe not using distilled water is the key? I may make a run to town tomorrow and see what else they have.

I don't think it would be the distilled water. Distilled water is what you want in the system. Well or city water has more minerals and it's what causes the scale buildup.

I'm useing distilled water and just enough Green antifreeze (Auto Zone) to get the rating to 0 degs F. The more water in the system the better. Water displaces heat better than the antifreeze.

I used the "Kool It" with distilled water and it ran just what the T stat was, 180*. On real hot days it might climb to 190 - 195 in stop and go traffic.

Since I drained it out and added antifreeze there's no difference in the temps. I'm not up on what you can add or mix with GO5.

I'm old school, If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I agree. I'm pretty much old school also. I researched the requirements for aluminum radiators and found GO5 was the one to use. Plus I can use it in my '04 Cummins truck. Less on the shelves and less to keep up with.
I've got GO5+distilled water in my '65 Belvedere and haven't noticed any issues whatsoever.
I may go back with GO5 and forget it. Just drive the hell outta it.
Might get one of those flip-top radiator caps.

I poured a little GO5 in a jar and dropped a brass freeze plug in. Sealed it tight. I'll give it a couple days to see if anything happens. I also poured some(from the radiator) in a plastic coke bottle and placed a balloon over top.

Changed to the 50/50 GO5. It's been 8 hours. No signs of pressure building. Down to .423 millivolts.

Well, I guess there's some truth in the old saying "Even a blind hog can find a acorn every once in awhile".
I really wanted to try something different but couldn't find anything around here better than the Zerex GO5. So I used the pre mixed 50/50 and bypassed using distilled water.
Knock on wood, everything seems ok. No issues of pressure building gremlins and it's down to .346 millivolts. I think my aluminum radiator can live with that.
I kept the old antifreeze to do some detective work. I'd like to know what the culprit was and hopefully avoid a repeat.
Thanks for all the imput!

Just curious...is this an open, or closed system?
Probably a dumb ?, probably nothing to do with it. No kind of 'expert'.
Though you mentioned no fluid in your recovery tank. Have no idea (don't wanna know), how a closed system vents, but that tank always has fluid in it, on a closed system.
Anyway, hope it's ironed out for ya!

Well, back to square one. Car hasn't been moved/started in 10 days. Went out today and the system had pressure on it. And the electrolysis was up to 851mV.

Do you have a 1/8 hole(s) in your thermostat?

Yes. Three 1/8" .
I don't think that is the problem. I drained/flushed the cooling system and filled with Zerex G05 50/50 mix. After running it up to temperature, everything checked good. After cool down it was down to 346 mV. Now 10 days later it is up to 851mV and had pressure on the system. Car has not been started or moved!

Last edited:
Guess swapping back to a copper radiator core might be a solution?
I believe most of the time aluminium and copper are used together in electrolyses applications, so taking the aluminium out of the equation should solve this.

Auto Transport Service
Back