• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suppose you just won $10,000 from a lottery scratch ticket...What would you do to your car?

I have never tried either of those things.

Well since I don't spend money on Lotto I probably don't have money for Hookers & Blow either...

California State lotto slogan has always been "You gotta play to win"... I've always said "You gotta play to lose".....

reminds me of when I was working in a truck stop servicing tractor trailers, bunch of O/operators took me out for some beers and the lottery question came up!
Guy says " I'd buy a brand new Kenworth studio "

"park it in the yard and throw rocks at it"

California State lotto slogan has always been "You gotta play to win"... I've always said "You gotta play to lose".....

I just play the home version of the lottery, crumple up a dollar and throw it away! Your chances of winning are still the same either way!!

For the Canadian guys, call it $8500 or something like it.

I still owe 25k on a freakin school loan for my youngest and she's mad at me because I handed one off to her because there was no way I could afford to pay the monthly on that too. Heck, can barely afford this one. So, either I have to win bigger on a lottery or scratch off or maybe I'll die soon and won't have to worry about it.

OOoof!

I started this with good intentions but it didn't occur to me that to some, a sudden windfall of cash may be better spent on bills, food, clothes or alimony.
I actually have plans to sell a car in a few months and expect to have a few extra bucks from it. I like leaving the savings accounts alone...I try to fund my projects with the money on the side.
When I first built the 440/493 for "Ginger", The rotating assembly came from a shop that told me that it would run fine on pump gas. IT did not.....10.8 to 1 compression with 91 octane gas might work with computer controlled new cars but it didn't work for me. I asked around for advice back in 2011-2014 and got many good suggestions. One was to try using a bigger cam.
The theory behind that was that a bigger cam with a later intake closing would reduce the cylinder pressure enough to eliminate detonation. I tried a wild Lunati that had .556/.578 lift I/E and something like 271* duration. The car ran like a rocket with that cam but knocked worse.
Later I learned that whatever reduction in detonation that one might see at the low rpms comes back with a vengeance at higher rpms.
I didn't want to pull the engine out so I went with thicker head gaskets. It did eliminate the knocking but I know I'm leaving power on the table by losing compression and quench.
What I should have done is pull the engine and install dished pistons. I have a 11-1969 virgin block that I could use but I'd rather have something dated from July or August. My car is a December build so it would be nice to have what could be a date code correct block. It is silly, I know since there isn't much to my car that is original or correct anyway.
A fresh set of pistons and rings, Those TF 240 heads, keep the compression around 10.5 with good quench and it should be a 600 HP monster!

493-1.jpg

I'd try to find a good body man that would want to cut off the quarters, wheelhouse and trunk, and weld on the new ones....lol

OOoof!

I started this with good intentions but it didn't occur to me that to some, a sudden windfall of cash may be better spent on bills, food, clothes or alimony.
I actually have plans to sell a car in a few months and expect to have a few extra bucks from it. I like leaving the savings accounts alone...I try to fund my projects with the money on the side.
When I first built the 440/493 for "Ginger", The rotating assembly came from a shop that told me that it would run fine on pump gas. IT did not.....10.8 to 1 compression with 91 octane gas might work with computer controlled new cars but it didn't work for me. I asked around for advice back in 2011-2014 and got many good suggestions. One was to try using a bigger cam.
The theory behind that was that a bigger cam with a later intake closing would reduce the cylinder pressure enough to eliminate detonation. I tried a wild Lunati that had .556/.578 lift I/E and something like 271* duration. The car ran like a rocket with that cam but knocked worse.
Later I learned that whatever reduction in detonation that one might see at the low rpms comes back with a vengeance at higher rpms.
I didn't want to pull the engine out so I went with thicker head gaskets. It did eliminate the knocking but I know I'm leaving power on the table by losing compression and quench.
What I should have done is pull the engine and install dished pistons. I have a 11-1969 virgin block that I could use but I'd rather have something dated from July or August. My car is a December build so it would be nice to have what could be a date code correct block. It is silly, I know since there isn't much to my car that is original or correct anyway.
A fresh set of pistons and rings, Those TF 240 heads, keep the compression around 10.5 with good quench and it should be a 600 HP monster!

View attachment 1203074
I'm not sure about this, but it seems like an expensive way to end up with the same compression ratio.

I've always wondered about the advice to use a bigger cam to lower cr. The goal of a big cam is more cylinder filling, equals more compression.

If the compression ratio is the same but one engine has a .045 quench while the other has .080, the engine with the tightest quench is far less likely to detonate. The Trick Flow heads are supposed to make more power than the Edelbrocks do.

Pull it and go thru it top to bottom , 10K should pretty much take care of it

engine1.jpg

first thing i sure wouldn't tell the wife maybe half on the 69charger rt and half on the 68 rr

Assume for the moment that you netted the money.
Ten thousand dollars.
If you had to spend it on the car, what would you do?

Me?

View attachment 1201855

With "Ginger", I might indulge in a set of power windows, a better stereo, maybe go through the engine and change a few things up. I'd like to see how those Trick Flow heads would work for me!

This car.....

View attachment 1201856

Ten grand wouldn't finish it! I'd still go full tilt on the interior. I'd have enough left over to buy weatherstripping, window fuzzies, exterior door handles and a few other things we replace after paint work. Body and paint can wait!
How would you spend the money?
After my project? Pain killers!!!

10K that’s not a ton of money but it would really make it easier to pull the trigger on paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back