• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taper axle rear stud

Darter6

Local time
6:33 PM
Reaction score
For those of you that are keeping their taped axles in your early "B".
Dorman #610-446 with a .684 knurl is what I used.
Switching from left hand or wanting longer than stock, they are longer ( under head length 1.938 ) for those that may be using aftermarket aluminum wheels.

Good info. I probably have that written down somewhere. I like the tapered axles, they look good with steel rims so I can see the axle nut and cotter pin.
20160218_154129.jpg

Good info. I probably have that written down somewhere. I like the tapered axles, they look good with steel rims so I can see the axle nut and cotter pin.
View attachment 1500087
I tried to find my stud part # but can't.. took me 3 tries to get the right ones.. i don't trust them though, they look like pot metal :( I'm trying to find some steelies, might end up with cop rimes though for mine

I'll make the thread a sticky so it will be easy to find.

I used #610-441. They are also longer, worked out great. Ford OE YC2Z1107AB. This was on the rear, tapered axle hub, with 65+ drums conversion.... I'll find some pix and update.

wheel studs.jpg

There was an online guide that suggested using the NAPA studs, but the ones they gave me with that part number had a knurl that was crazy long and actually hit the lug nuts preventing a tightened wheel. The Dormans solved this.

dormanvsnapastudcomparison.jpg

This is the one I ultimately used, pictured above with the wheel mounted;

.jpg

Last edited:
When I acquired my ’63, one of the first things I did was swap out for a ‘65 Coronet rear, perfect bolt on. Sorry, those tapered axles just didn’t agree with me.

Auto Transport Service
Back