• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Last Vanishing Point Challenger

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I had no idea before watching this they remade the movie. As far as sequels to early Mopar movies, nothing can do them justice. But hey, I'm a Mopar fan and have to watch the made for TV adaptation.

Interesting video :thankyou:
New Vanishing Point, It's OK better than some, as it goes to remakes,
but nothing like the org. movie... :blah:
There's a couple of cool scenes in it, after blowing up a police car,
the cop in the/his personal freshly restored built up Black 68 Charger R/T,
that's obsessed with him & chasing him, there is a cool scene
"it takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar" :lowdown:
they roll the car unfortunately, another nice Charger wrecked...

Jason Preasly, the new DJ, Isn't Clevon Little either...

why do they always trash 68-69 Chargers in these movies ? :lol:

Last edited:
Vanishing Point was at our local small town drive-in. I swore to myself right then I would get a Challenger someday. I always liked 2nd gen Chargers but after Death Proof I had to get one of those too.

I have both versions of vanishing point love both of them. The new version has a better reason to push a Challenger to its limits. The old version racing for pills just isn't a good reason.

The point of the original wasn't just "for pills". You missed the point there if that's what you think.
The remake was, well, cheesy. Extra stinky cheesy - but hey, some cool cars and all that which was nice anyways.

'71 Barry Newman only... That movie has a lot to do with me being a big Mopar fan.

Drive with Gosling, for me had some similarities. That movie even had a few Mopars in the background.

Over thirty years ago, there was a good article with Barry Newman about Vanishing Point in Car Review (later MuscleCar Review) magazine. It's a little hard to read here, but this is it:
http://www.angelfire.com/id/newssection/VP.html
I remember that article well. Wish there was a better source online for it - that one puts my eyes out. :)
I might have to make a project out of that...

There was a video with Newman when the new Challenger came out. He drove one. White.

Barry will be 80 this year.

barry-newman-2.jpg

Ever see Fear is the Key w/Barry Newman? Drove the piss out of a 72 Torino Gran Sport(full fastback).
SAME car throughout the movie!! Jumped it off a ramp onto a departing ferry, cowl kinked big time, kept on motoring.

I used to watch Newman in Petrocelli. Pretty good show if you can find it. They made 44 episodes.

Last edited:
San Remo was the fictitious city Petrocelli's practice was in....good old Tucson.

I have both movies...love the original, and the remake was well done for it being just for tv, the cop and his charger..."beast", was a nice surprise!

Now Deathproof.....that was a wicked movie, car chase was awesome if your a car guy!!! All I could think about when watching it was Bullet and Vanishing Point!!! :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back