• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion Bar rate opinions

Mike67

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about ordering some new torsion bars...nothing appears wrong with mine other than being 50 years old.
I currently have .880 bars in there now, I'm assuming these were changed out when the car was converted to strictly a track car... Wondering if anyone runs these on the street? Which mine will be 99% of the time...
Or should I move up to a.94 or 1.03? Big block, Qa1 front suspension, runners on the front ( may change later) so I know handling will not be realized until the tires are capible... I don't want a marhmellow feel nor do I want it to feel like a buck board...
Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I have a big block 68 charger with the QA1 K-frame, sway bar and LCAs, RMS UCAs and Hotchkis 1.1" torsion bars. 255 section front tires, hotchkis non-adjustable shocks.

I was a bit concerned about the harsh ride but having driven it now I love it. Doesn't feel harsh at all, just very planted. I haven't done any chassis stiffening yet, but torque boxes and subframe connectors are in the plan.

Steering still leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm sure that's because of the OEM-style gearbox and not the suspension.

Thanks for the info, that's just what I was looking for as your set up is almost identical to mine! Except my frame has 0 flex as the cage is tied in to multiple points...
I can get the PST 1.03s cheaper than any others...also found Mopar makes a set of .960s as well for the same price...with the boots and clips..

I would definitely go with a 1.03" bars with a 210lbs wheel rate. You will not see a harsh ride. It will be stiffer but with a good quality set of shocks like Bilstiens or Viking you will have a modern feel without sacrificing ride quality. What I am confused on with the Hotchkis's bars is the title/heading on their website it states 1.03 but the description says 1.1? Which is it?

Also do not forget if you choose to go with our bars to use your mopar forum member discount when ordering.

Thanks
James From

Thanks James can you pm me a price?
I bought your Super Rebuild Kit a while back (6 mos ago or so) and my project has changed some what... I've acquired brand new QA1 upper & lower ca's so I wont be using the whole kit.... Im also looking at buying the billet tie rod adjusters, I've seen 9/16 & 11/16 the box is at the shop and I don't know which size it came with...can you tell me what I ordered?
Thanks

Thanks James can you pm me a price?
I bought your Super Rebuild Kit a while back (6 mos ago or so) and my project has changed some what... I've acquired brand new QA1 upper & lower ca's so I wont be using the whole kit.... Im also looking at buying the billet tie rod adjusters, I've seen 9/16 & 11/16 the box is at the shop and I don't know which size it came with...can you tell me what I ordered?
Thanks[/QUOTE

Shoot me a pm with your details and I will look up your order.

Thanks
James

Mike,

I went with the PST 1.03 on my Coronet. Mine is a 340 and I have not driven it much since the install but it was not rough at all with a 235/45/17 out front. I also went from a .88 as mine was originally a 318 car. Also went with the 11/16 TR kit and fast ratio steering linkage. from PST. Had to remove the grease fittings on the tie rods because they hit the new larger torsion bars. I think if you are sticking with the original steering linkage that will not be an issue for you.

guys what kind of car are we working on, weight. rims, tires usage etc
I have 1.080 on my C body but the bars are longer
cop car bars on a 73 B Body are not too large- look them up
you can plug the grease fittings and just put them in when greasing or use a rubber tip

The torsion bars from 1973 will not fit the 1965-72 B Bodies from my research.

72 and prior are 41" length
73 and up are 43.6" length

BBody Bars.jpg

I did not say they would fit I said they were not too stiff, could be even stiffer= your bar guy is giving you good advice

Auto Transport Service
Back