• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traffic stop

I don't know. So drivers can't claim entrapment? So drivers who see the marked patrol cars driving around will think twice about violating the vehicle code? So if someone needs help, they can recognize a police officer?
recent court ruling:

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2390.asp
Whenever there is an interaction between a plain clothed detective or officer there is also a marked unit and uniformed officer present. This is not only for officer safety but the public's as well.

Running drug interdiction even our detectives go in uniform and a marked unit.

Since we have a guy that was honest enough to tell the board that he is a Policeman, would you mind a vehicle code question?
In CA, I've been told that a double yellow line on the pavement meant a NO PASSING condition. I had a traffic school instructor tell me that a situation with four yellow lines meant an "Implied Median". I asked him if it was legal to cross the double yellow and he said yes. With my question, I meant : To turn left into a driveway or to give adequate clearance to a stationary object in my path. Four lines? No...as it was implied that it was a median.
On another car forum, guys from other states claim that crossing that double yellow was a violation.
Care to interpret what the protocol in your jurisdiction is on this ?
Finally, I asked the instructor if it was legal to make a U-Turn over a double yellow. The instructor stated that a U-Turn was legal unless a sign was posted forbidding it. It seemed too good to be true but the instructor was an off duty CHP officer.

About 80% of our traffic interactions end in a warning. We let the state patrol and small village cops cite the hell out of people. I stopped a 64 Malibu for the same crap and gave him a warning a few weeks back.

As a matter of fact I haven't cut a ticket for a minor infraction in a while. Most stops we make are for drug interdiction purposes.

Not a personal callout.

Too many times i have seen marked cars doing well in excess of the speed limit with no lights flashing while a phone is at their ear or a hand on the computer.That is state,county, and local cops.

The DOT vehicle enforcement is a whole nother can of worms. I have dealt with too many over the years that seem to make up their own version of the law. Then you have to waste time and lose money getting things fixed after the ticket is written.

My personal feeling is it has changed from protect and serve to charge and collect. Bad weather you are hard pressed to see an officer anywhere. Sunny warm days they seem more than happy to be out collecting.

As i said before...not all LEOs are in that group. I have met several good, fair and down to earth officers that use common sense and treat you fairly. There seem to be more of the other kind these days. Oozing with arrogance and acting like they are above the common person. I simply stated i hope you are one of the good guys.

I had a High School buddy that wanted to follow his Father and become a Policeman. Today he is a Lieutenant in Internal Affairs. Way back when he was still green, he told me that as trainees, they are repeatedly told that they are held to a higher standard than civilians and that they are better, they have to be. They have to be the ones to keep situations from escalating out of control. That takes an Alpha, not an Omega...
At first impression, it can look as if this promotes a sense of superiority/elitism. In the wrong hands, this training theoretically could feed and bolster the egos of weak minded bully types. I feel that these types are the minority as the overwhelming majority of Police officers that I have interacted with were completely professional. From my late teens until my my late 20s I was on the side of the road with lights flashing PLENTY of times. Every ticket that I have received was legitimate. Speeding, failure to stop, following too close, vehicle too low, vehicle too loud.....BUT some were judgement calls that could have been overlooked. Having said that...I have been stopped and released withOUT being cited far more than I have been taxed.
Yes, I am white. I did not blast offensive, Cop hating music in the car. I was almost always polite and did as I was asked.
I fit a profile so I was legitimately targeted....I had nice looking cars that attracted attention and I loved to peel out, drive fast, brake late, take corners too fast and have fun. That was the old Kern Dog.
Oh, it is the 2018 Kern Dog too, I'm just more careful where I have fun now.

Auto Transport Service
Back