• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tremec 5 speed conversion in a 1970 Charger

So forgetting for a moment about 1 Wild R/T's (whom I respect a lot, by the way) post below, clutches I am familiar with need the throwout bearing to not touch the clutch. This has nothing to do with a slipping clutch. This ensures that when you are not using the clutch that the throwout bearing is not constantly turning and wearing. It only turns and engages once you push the pedal a little bit (by the way, this is why you shouldn't rest your foot on the clutch pedal when driving and not clutching). As you push the clutch pedal, it will engage first the throwout bearing that will then start pushing in the clutch and disengaging it from the flywheel.

OK. I am not familiar with these. On our old cars what I said is appropriate. I admit that I do not know what Kern's new transmission and hydraulic clutch requires.

I 100% agree... And when I first heard of Y/O bearing being in constant contact I expected to be changing allot of bearings... Hasn't happened.. But when you think about it as long as the pressure plate isn't being depressed the bering isn't under any load it's just spinning....

Kern, I guess the bottom line is you should check the manufacturer and be sure it is set as required. It is cheap insurance now to ensure trouble free operation!

Hawk

"This system uses a firewall-mounted hydraulic master cylinder with remote reservoir and a combination slave cylinder/release bearing assembly. This combination bearing is called a concentric slave cylinder (CSC) and it is designed to be in constant contact with the pressure plate fingers.
The CSC is compressed by the pressure plate fingers when at rest. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the master cylinder forces fluid into the CSC, causing it to expand and depress the pressure plate fingers, thereby releasing the clutch."

Thanks for the link to the instructions - where it says the above right at the beginning. :thumbsup:

I can get the Wife to shoot some video. I have a YouTube account, I just haven't posted any videos there.
What's your channel's name? We need to add you to the FBBO YT channel list! :thumbsup:

I don't have a channel. I have an account to be able to post comments to videos but have yet to post up any of my own stuff.

So are you folks telling us the original specified air gap between throwout bearing and clutch fingers
doesn't apply if a hydraulic setup is installed?
I found this:

I don't have a channel. I have an account to be able to post comments to videos but have yet to post up any of my own stuff.
If you have an account (username), then you have a channel - used or not. :)

Better to have the debate than remain ignorant. Of course only if it can remain civil.:thumbsup:

There are two different bearing designs for the throw out unit. The old school ones, like on our cars with the mechanical linkage, is one type and not meant to be in constant contact with the PP fingers. The other, like on the FWD cars and hydraulic T/O style, are meant to be in contact, just not with pressure on them until activated. Its been so long that I learned who was who but one style was, I believe, Annular Contact. My 04 Ram Cummins nv5600 6 Spd is a hydro unit with a Zoom ZVT clutch in it. Has way more pedal effort than stock. Its been in the truck for 150k+ miles with no issues other than I just put in my second master/slave unit in due to age and leaking.

Better to have the debate than remain ignorant. Of course only if it can remain civil.:thumbsup:
No way. I will have to angrily offer 1 Wild R/T, Kern and few others a beer. Maybe you too if you don't watch it! :drinks: ;-) :luvplace:

No way. I will have to angrily offer 1 Wild R/T, Kern and few others a beer. Maybe you too if you don't watch it! :drinks: ;-) :luvplace:

Make it a Root Beer & we can have a party...:lol: No one here is arguing, we're discussing & hopefully we all learn something... And we'll all wait at Greg's shop for our free thrill rides...

Great thread Greg and thanks for taking the time to document the process. I may never get up the gumption to swap trannys in the Coronet but I've gained a better understanding of how the Dart is set up. Thanks also to all the other FBBO members for their input.
And Hawk, please let me know when you're buying; I'll belly up the bar. :D

I also would like to add my thanks to Kern Dog for this thread. I am planning on installing one of these transmissions in my car in the future and this will be excellent additional information for the swap. Cheers!

shakes tiny fist.gif

Ben Drinkin.
Turd Furgeson.
Hugh Jarection.
Heywood Jablowme.
Barry Mikok.

Auto Transport Service
Back