• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing Point Challenger engine sound

Manifolds (or headers) mufflers, exhaust pipe size, X or H pipe, and to some extent heads all dictate what a cars exhaust sounds like.

If you want to duplicate a certain car's sound, get those as close as possible.

Manifolds (or headers) mufflers, exhaust pipe size, X or H pipe, and to some extent heads all dictate what a cars exhaust sounds like.

If you want to duplicate a certain car's sound, get those as close as possible.
Along with displacement, compression, firing order, cam, direction of rotation..... :)

My "proof" is the Magnum exhaust manifolds used on 5.2 and 5.9 engines.

Even with only that one part the same, nearly any engine using them sounds almost identical.

It is a very distinctive sound, and easily recognizable.

Even my wife can identify it.

A dyed in the wool Chevy guy told me they had to throttle back the Charger because it kept overrunning the Mustang.

Oh, yeah, and Ford guys can't drive...:D:eek:

This is true according to both the mechanic and the stunt coordinator. They said they did a camshaft upgrade, carb and intake manifold and headers to the Mustang, as well as suspension bracing. The Charger R/T was stock,other than a tweak and tune,and some suspension bracing. According to them,the Charger "Just pulled away from the Mustang like you wouldn't believe " they handicapped the Charger by putting smaller tires on it and it was still no contest. They took both cars to a local circle track to ring them out the day before the shoot and the mechanic said that the Charger " literally ran rings around the Mustang, the two cars were not even in the same league ".

Last edited:
Getting back to the question that started this thread, IMO Mopars do have a sound all their own. E body's especially. I think the reason is that they used resonators along with the mufflers and the exhaust tips used on the Challengers and Cudas is what gave them that particular sound. As to whether the sound was real or dubbed...........Don't know but it sounded correct to me.

Had a ’70 Cuda and ’73 Challenger…the exhaust seemed too quiet for my liking…back then.

Don't know but it sounded correct to me.

I'd guess your explanation answers why a 'Cuda and a 2G Charger can have the same engine, same mufflers and sound different. Maybe I'm nuts but I think there is a difference in sound between a manual and automatic especially when driving in terms of range of sound.

the exhaust tips

Like a musical instrument. I have two 69 Chargers, both 440 auto, same exhaust/mufflers, both sound great but different. I love listening to them, like great music to me.

The Chevy people I encounter at car shows are ok but a lot of times they're jerks. They made fun of my Mopars mercilessly until I started kicking their asses at shows.
I haven't had to go that far yet, but thought about it a few times...
:nutkick::D

Auto Transport Service
Back