• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

vinyl top

atreer

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to install a vinyl top on my 67.
all information is welcome, photos, measurements, before after, or step by step photos.
thanks,

Andrew

Just take your time and make shure it is where it is lined up were it is straight and you will not have any trouble. Make shure eveytimg is clean and use good 3m glue. You will be ok

i just put mine on Aug 2012 and it was simple just intimidating! I don't know how to do this with the windshield and back window in, but if they are out this is how I did it. Buy your glue (I used 3m) and you'll need 10 or more clamps with the rubber coating in them (little orange clamps that I got at harbor freight), and a plastic squeegee. Lay your top out on the floor and find the center (front-back) and use a chalk line to mark it. find the center of your top on the car and do the same. Lay your top on your car with the lines matched up centering it so your front seams are where you want them to be. Clamp the top down to you car. Start on 1 side and remove the clamp on the front and back of the left or right and fold the top over to the other side. (a pro might do more at once but I only glued down 8" at a time) Spay glue down on the roof and on the top when the glue gets tacky proceed to slowly roll the top over and squeegee it as you roll it so there are no bubbles under you top. keep going until you are done. its alott easier if you have 2 people doing it just takes time. This was what I was told to do from a professional upholsterer and it worked great. make sure you use enough glue! and you want to make sure you have something to cover the side of the vinyl that you don't want glue to get on when you are spraying on the backside of the vinyl when its folded over. GOOD LUCK!!!

The best way is tp get you top laid out and get meshurements from your seams to gutters to get you side lined up

sorry was in a hurry when we did it so there are no pics of me doing it but my car is on my profile. DONT pull on the top when gluing it down or your seams wont be straight

Last edited:
Mikeyfrano advice is perfect just take your time and relax you will have a good result

thanks guys,

really good comments. Can you give me more info on where the chrome trim is and how is it attached?
since it is not a car with vinyl top I need to prepare the body somehow, and get the screws? and chromes to be able to finish the vinyl.
But I also ned to know where it runs.

thanks

Let me know if you need any measurements or pics of the current vinyl top on my 67

Yes please,

please take a photo of the edges ot the top in the front, sides, back.
measurements are interesting at the rear part to know where and how the chrome trim runs!!! if you have pictures dissasambled (before after ) that would be great, to see how the new chrome trims are attached, do I need to drill holes on the body. does it connect with screws?
Thanks lot!!!!

The correct chrome trim at the rear of the factory installed vinyl top fastened thru holes drilled in the body, and held on from the backside with self tapping sheet metal screws.

Mark

thanks a lot Mark,
if you have a chance to take pict of way the chromes run in the rear and front please help,

Thanks

There's a little more involved here than just a few self tapping screws.

The long side piece uses spring clips
PP 094.jpg

PP 095.jpg

The point where the side piece meets the arrow uses another style clip. The arrow is held in place here with a screw, but...
PP 096.jpg

On the long side of the arrow along the trunk, it has cast pins on the trim held in place by speed nuts underneath.
PP 097.jpg

The small front pieces uses a single screw
IMGP1623.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your comment, I couldnot find your car in the profile.

Auto Transport Service
Back