• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water neck gasket yes or no?

mvent

Local time
8:59 PM
Reaction score
Pulled off water neck,cleaned both surfaces, sanded flat, going with the Right Stuff, hope this is last time, use gasket with the right stuff or not? I've read both ways,does it matter?
TIA

Yes, it matters. Try ONE of these:
1- Lay a bead of Right stuff and let it set-up for a few minutes, then install water outlet and tighten snug. Go back after an hour or so and retighten to specs. NO GASKET.
2- Use a good quality gasket (FEL-Pro blue) with no sealer. If both surfaces are flat and you tighten both bolts equally, it won't leak.

Thanks Coloradodave, not liking condition of my water neck, looks like pot metal don't think its original, what's my best option without breaking the bank?

Most of the OEM ones are pot metal or aluminium and distort if tightened to much
the trick is just tight enough to not leak
If one gives me trouble I would try to locate a cast iron replacement or the best one I could find
The last one I bought was when I did the motor in my 73 SSB 39 years ago and it was cast iron
Looking at Summit they have aluminium and steel ones

You can get cast iron outlets at NAPA or Rockauto.com. Paint it engine color and you're good to go. The billet aluminum ones are nice but pricey...

Bit the bullet and purchased billet water neck from Mancinis and FelPro gasket, I have can of right stuff and tube of Permatex 2, haven't decided if I'm going w/o gasket, don't know if I can force myself not to use the gasket, don't want to do it again.
Update when done.

- - - Updated - - -

Intake manifold surface is straight, however there is some pitting which is helping me to lean toward right stuff w/o gasket to fill in pits, but I guess #2 will do same.

IMAG4689.jpgI did a billet with the O-Ring seal by Billet Specialties. Still used some Permatex but solved a leak issue I've had since day 1 with this motor.

Second the FelPro blue. I have a Mancini Billet neck. None better.

The chrome one leaked. Twice. Both times at car shows. Piss off. I remember the builder saying, there are chrome dipstick and water necks on there. No charge.

Last edited:
I battled the water neck leaks recently. I had a leaky aluminum one, machined flat...still leaked. Bought a chromed steel one. Warped and leaked, even with The Right Stuff. Bought a cast one from Napa for $20, painted, applied The Right Stuff with NO gasket and so far no leak.

The Billet Specialties neck with the o-ring is AWESOME. Bolted it on as is and no longer have a leak. Worth the money I think to be leak free.

Bought a cast one from Napa for $20, painted, applied The Right Stuff with NO gasket and so far no leak.

To this day, I have never been failed by a NAPA part, just to know that one day they will fail as nothing lasts forever.

The only water neck my local NAPA store could get me was one for $5.89, I said no thanks, if they could have gotten me an iron one, I would have bought it.

What intake is the OP running?

Most parts stores sell $7 aluminum water neck gaskets with molded on O rings.

Mopar pattern is available, but most stock only chevy pattern.

I elongated my water neck holes, used the chevy pattern gasket, and used the aftermarket/chevy pattern holes on my Eddy intake (it has both those and Mopar pattern holes)

Received my Mancini billet neck today, unfortunately holes must be elongated before I can install, has anyone else had to do this? Stock cast iron manifold, a little pissed, not that big a deal but shouldn't have to be done IMO.

Received my Mancini billet neck today, unfortunately holes must be elongated before I can install, has anyone else had to do this? Stock cast iron manifold, a little pissed, not that big a deal but shouldn't have to be done IMO.
Sorry to hear. Mine went right on. Edelbrock RPM.

I got my billet one from 440 source. Fits and works perfectly. I used a gasket with black RTV.

I'd call Mancini and ask them why. You're right, you shouldn't have to modify it. Let them straighten it out.

Elongated holes in Mancini neck, used Felpro gasket and right stuff on outlet and manifold, let it sit 24 hours and took it for 15 mile ride, so far so good, no leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back