• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We aren't supposed to have tornadoes here.

SteveSS

Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
We're too close to the mountains. I'd say this tornado formed about 20 -25 miles east of the start of the Rockies. I don't think it touched down anywhere. We were headed out to the ranch when we saw it. This has been a very weird weather year. Maybe it's just called a funnel cloud if it didn't touch down.

tornade.jpeg
tornado.jpeg

Last edited:
Denver Airport has designated tornado shelters..... And western Kansas is a stones throw so yeah you might see one now & then...

Looks like a couple F-3's blew through back in the 70's.....

DIA is pretty far east of even Denver proper then you have to go clear through Denver to reach the mountains. If you believe the conspiracy theories about DIA those aren't tornado shelters. There is some strange stuff at the Denver airport. I don't believe in that stuff but I have seen these and more.
dia.jpg

When I g to Denver it's to work in Golden so yeah I know DIA is east of Denver but it's probably 15 miles... Not all that far...

If Colorado has mobile home parks, then its gotta have tornadoes, am I right? :p

My house is about 4 miles from the start of the big mountains. I always thought the mountains would provide a natural border to keep them from forming. We don't have trailer parks like we did in Kansas. In Wichita, they would always wipe out the parks on the south edge of town then head through McConnell AFB, then to Andover (That's the big one you always see on documentaries). I'm a big believer that if a tornado hit an area once it will hit it again. Mead, Oklahoma I'm talking to you. When my dad was growing up in OK. his friend's house got destroyed three times. Probably more since that was 80 years ago.

Mead, Oklahoma.

Risk Level: High

Yearly Avg. of Tornadoes in Mead, OK

Tornadoes since 1950 in Mead, OK

Andover Tornado (Just so you know that's where Tyler Hoovie lives.)

andover.jpg

South Park is weird. It's very high, elevation 9,000-11,000 feet but it's in a flat land basin between two mountain ranges here. I would bet they could get tornadoes. Do you know they are reopening Casa Bonita in Denver? The South Park creators bought it and sunk millions into redoing the place. Supposed to reopen this fall. That place is a hoot.

South Park.

south park.JPG

Last edited:
Recorded Tornados since 1950...

Most are EF-0 or EF-1... But the Orange is EF-3..

IMG_8194.jpg

Looking at that map I can see those tornadoes are sneaky bastards. Live here for 23 years and this one is the first I remember.

This is Casa Bonita before they shut down for the remodeling. When you come to visit I'll take you there. I heard no tipping is allowed and every servers makes $30/hour.

Last edited:
OK...One needs to understand how these Tornados developed specifically in the Great Plains States and Mid-West. Air currents from the West through the Rockies are forced up into the colder upper air and when they hit the Eastern slope of the Rockies run down and merge with the Gul air coming up from the Gulf and Delat. They then cause a convergence on them both thus generating severe storms and yes, Tornados. The mountains are actually the main contributor to these events and can become very intense as we have all witnessed...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

DIA is pretty far east of even Denver proper then you have to go clear through Denver to reach the mountains. If you believe the conspiracy theories about DIA those aren't tornado shelters. There is some strange stuff at the Denver airport. I don't believe in that stuff but I have seen these and more.
View attachment 1505543
I'd say that conspiracies aren't as far-fetched as people used to think. Now that there's so much available dirt on the players, they all seem more likely.

Auto Transport Service
Back