• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wendy’s planning Uber-style ‘surge pricing’ where burger prices fluctuate based on demand

Think that is their plan to make it so confusing you just order the fancy meal because that is all you see to choose from
This is so true and applicable to New Zealand McDonald's also. I took my kids here one weekend recently as a treat. The menu only showed three items that they were pushing. I asked for a menu to see everything and was told they had no physical menus. When I asked what else is on the menu, they couldn't tell me.

Having not visited for years I was shocked at the high prices and to see portion sizes greatly reduced. The food quality and presentation was very poor. The big mac was tiny and tasted like a mouthful of salt. When separating the food from the packaging my shock doubled after looking at how little 'food' was there; it was mostly packaging, offering only the illusion of value for money.

Never again. Will be sticking to home cooking.

Last edited:
All fast-food is crap, and isn't worth what they charged for it 20 years ago. If they had 20-30 year-ago quality, I'd understand the current prices....without this greedy surge bullshit.

What does that mean? if you were shown a $56 price, the fare should have been $56.

If it changed during the ride, I'd get out moving or not.

If it didn't change until the ride was complete, I'd pay the $56 and let a dispute ensue.

I honestly don't get the whole uber "thing".

Apparently most people seem to be in love with it.

I am not.
What was wrong with Taxis? Ive only used a Taxi service a couple of times in my life. But you can bet I’ll not set my butt in a cutthroat uber.

Now I want a baconator. LOL
Yes you do...................................No you don't.
1709142172313.png

Baconator.jpg

Hey- it's still 50 cents off.

Enjoy it while you can.

A silver lining in the shortage and higher pricing of fast food employees in my area is that Macs have all gone to automated kiosks for ordering, eliminating most of the counter positions. I can actually get pricing on cost effective items, and for the first time in decades, I've been able to order a quarter pounder without cheese, and get the order filled correctly. As I've said before, I have the good fortune to live a pretty low cost area. I can do a burger and coke currently for $6.50, but I don't make a habit of it.

I have resorted to cooking at home then going out. Plus if I’m out we have a few small locally owner drive ups that are really good.

The point of the meme was that only delusional or simple minded people don’t understand the concept that higher wages would have on prices.
The cost of living is directly proportional to wages, or it usually is.
I worked construction in California, mostly in higher wage areas. The Bay Area housing and commercial construction paid $5-7 more per hour and often more than made up for the additional gas for the longer drive/commute.
That was a best case scenario.
The worst case is the guys that lived in the more expensive Bay Area that commuted to Sacramento and were paid well below their regular rate.

get woke , get broke ….i like wendy’s but if this is the deal then it’s no deal …
This is not a WOKE or MAGA thing. It's dynamic capitalism. I'm surprised it's not practiced more in retail. Some retail like gasoline cannot because of regulations. But most is not forbidden.

Not only we live in a smaller world. But much faster. There is some logic, but not sure the consumer will accept. Even if it meant lower prices during non peak times.

All started with long distance phone connections.

Remember that?

Obviously my comment was facetious. The ridiculous argument by the "crowd" that promotes this min-wage issue, is they should earn a "living" wage. For who ???
Nail on the head - for some reason, people of a certain political bent can't comprehend that fast food service
employment shouldn't be ones' eventual ultimate career goal, nor should such jobs be capable of supporting
a family.

We got a somewhat local one location burger joint that has the best burger I've ever had.

They sell so many during lunch that they are not even open for dinner.
I have a little dream about owning/operating just such a "burger joint" one day - and yes, we'd close
about 2pm every day, after opening at 5am for the working folks to come get their coffee and biscuits
in the morning.
Big enough lot to host both truckers in the morning and cruise-ins in evenings, too...
There simply are too few mom and pops with superior burgers out there anymore.

Starting in April, fast food workers in California will be paid 20 bucks an hour. Think what that will do to the price of fast food there.
Close, what that will do to fast food prices everywhere.
The mega chain places spread the cost to everywhere.
In WI, only the die hard keep going for fast food. national inflation prices are pushed into my area, making a "number 5" on a stupid fast food board cost MORE then going to local eatery and getting a hamburger so big you could make 5 mcd cheeseburgers out of it, and the local stuff isn;t 35% corn syrup like mcd is.
$50 gets my wife and I both a giant burger, beer battered seasoned fries, an appetizer big enough to be a meal for one person(we share that) 3 pints of local tap beer for me and 2 (local bottled) sun drop sodas for her.
Or we could go get two quarter pounder with cheese value meals.

HMMMMM.

On the flip side, when I want to buy a car my income is still based in 2013 dollars, so a new car costs 70% of the value of my home. No new cars for me. (cars are also on the national price plan the big three follow)

it is a different type of life in fly over country. In some regards you live well, in others you are a poverty stricken slave caste peon.
I eat well, my home is fairly nice(it is run down, repair parts for a home are also national price) but my fleet of beaters wouldn't fetch 20% the cost of a new commuter car. it obviously makes participating in gear head culture hard to do also.
It wasn;t always like this, before all the consolidation even the chain stores were owned and local franchisee set prices based on local economy. So we just enjoyed a scaled back cost to go with our scaled back incomes. Now we are turning into the slave caste.

...only delusional or simple minded people don’t understand the concept that higher wages would have on prices.
Bingo!!
In which the need for higher wages is driven by rapid inflation, which is typically driven by, well.....as history proves a certain portion of society bent on "forcing a redistribution of wealth"....sounds all well and good in utopialand but naturally and as usual, it's the working/paying class that gets hosed....

Auto Transport Service
Back